News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 10:52:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fish, Seafood  (Read 5682 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Fish, Seafood
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
SHRIMP MARINARA
Another favorite company dish of mine. The sauce can be made ahead, reheated and the shrimp thrown in just before serving guests.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 medium green peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium bay leaf
2 cups Prego marinara sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
tsp hot pepper sauce
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounces dry angel hair pasta, cooked and drained

1. In 10-in skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook onion, peppers, garlic and bay leaf until tender.
Add marinara sauce, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and shrimp. Simmer 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Serve over hot angel hair pasta.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 05:06:07 PM by Ehelldame »

kckgirl

Re: Fish, Seafood
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:56:02 PM »
Crab Salad (CHATTMOMMA)

1 lb elbow mac
1 bag frozen peas, thawed
1 onion, chopped
1 lb cooked crab, or imitation crab, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 and 1/2 cups (adjust for personal taste) MiracleWhip

Cook elbow mac in salted water per package directions, cool thouroughly. Mix all ingredients together in a large dish. Cover and chill before serving.

Maryland

Clara Bow

• I gotta go.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Tuna Noodle Casserole
1 lb elbow mac, cooked in salted water
2 cans tuna (or 1 large can) packed in water
1 large can cream of mushroom
1/8 cup minced onion
2 cups cheddar cheese shreds
Mix all but cheese together. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 30minutes
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Mikayla

Greek Shrimp
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
Mikayla's Easy Greek Shrimp

1.5 lbs. shrimp, fresh or frozen.
Olive oil - 3-4 Tablespoons
Half a bunch of scallions
Garlic (I use the stuff in the jar and put in about 1 Tablespoon)
3 small cans of diced tomatoes
1 stick butter
1/3 cup red wine
1/3 cup white wine
1/2 cup lemon juice
8 oz feta cheese
Salt, pepper, oregano

1.  Peel and devein shrimp in bowl.  Cover with lemon juice and let sit for at least an hour.
2.  Put olive oil in pan - add scallions and garlic.  Cook over medium heat for several minutes.   
3.  Add the chopped tomatoes (with juice), the red wine, the salt and the pepper.  Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
4.  Melt the butter in another pan and add the shrimp along with the lemon juice.  Cook for 3-5 minutes until shrimp is pink - DO NOT OVERCOOK!
5.  Transfer shrimp mixture to a large casserole dish.  When tomato mixture is done, pour on top of shrimp.  Crumble the feta cheese and place on top of the tomato mixture and sprinkle oregano.
6.  Scatter the white wine over the top.
7.  Cook in 325 degree oven (uncovered) for 30 minutes.
8.  Serve in large bowls or on large plates with rice (to sop up the broth).

Thipu1

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:06 PM »
Triple Sec Tuna.

This dish is dead easy to make but it has an unusual and fruity flavor that makes it suitable for a sophisticated dinner party.  Serve it with an aromatic rice such as basmati and a salad of baby greens.  Your reputation as a chef may come from a simple dish like this.

This recipe is an off-the-cuff one and there are two ways to do it.  You may want to poach the fish or grill it.  Either way, the dish is good.  Once you know what works for you, you can adapt it to your needs.  The only given is that you should allow 4 to 6 ounces of fish per serving.

Fresh tuna steaks
Chicken or vegetable broth
Triple Sec
Low-sodium soy sauce.
Fresh ginger root, slivered
Five-spice powder
Lemon or lime juice
Water
Vegetable oil
Sesame oil

Rinse tuna steaks and pat dry.  Sprinkle with fresh lemon or lime juice and sesame oil. Cover and refrigerate for about half an hour before cooking.

Prepare a mixture of half-Triple Sec and half soy.  Keep ready for use.

Poached method:
In a pan, warm broth and stir in five-spice powder.
Poach the fish in the seasoned broth until a bit less done than you would like.  Remove tuna steaks to a plate and keep warm.

Grill method
Rub tuna steaks with a bit of sesame oil and five-spice powder.  Place on the grill.  Remove before quite done and keep warm.

Making the sauce.
In a small skillet toast the slivered ginger  in a bit of peanut oil until golden.  Keep the heat low enough that the oil will not begin to smoke.

When the ginger is ready, pour it and the oil into the soy and Triple Sec mixture.

Give it a quick stir and pour the mixture over the tuna steaks.  Serve immediately. 

Zilla

• Cooking
Fish Pie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »
This is my version of the infamous English Fish Pie.  It is comforting and delicious.  My whole family loves this even with the veggies I can sneak in this.  Also great about this recipe is that it is very easy to modify to your taste and use what is in season.

Fish Pie
A pound of firm white fish, I use Mahi Mahi
A quart of fish or vegetable stock
6 peeled whole potatoes, I use yukon gold
3-4 peeled cloves of garlic
3 eggs
A pound of fresh spinach
Chop finely a cup of each:
  • celery
  • onion
  • carrot
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup of white wine of your choice (you can substitute with broth)
1 cup of milk
2 cups of shredded cheese, divided, I use gruyere.  Any light melting cheese will do.
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

First off, pour broth in a sauce pan large enough to float the fish covered by the broth.  Place on medium and poach the fish on a simmer.

In another large pan, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil.  Do not cut the potatoes as this will make them waterlogged.  When boiling, turn heat down to medium.  After 20 minutes of cooking, add garlic cloves and eggs.  Turn off the heat after 5 minutes and let it sit till the potatoes are fork tender.  About 5 minutes more then drain to let cool. 

Meanwhile drain the fish and set is aside but reserve 1/4 cup of the broth.  Saute the spinach in same pan with reserved broth and just cook it till it compresses into a heap.  About 5 minutes.  Drain by wrapping it in a cheesecloth and twist and set it aside.  (I also use my salad spinner sometimes)

Rinse the same sauce pan used for the fish and spinach and add butter over medium heat.  When melted, add celery, onion and carrot.  Salt and pepper to taste and saute till tender, about 5 minutes.  When soft, add flour and stir through.  Add wine, with a wisk stir it briskly.  Let it come to a boil for a few minutes to cook off the alcohol and thicken.  Slowly pour milk in while wisking.  Let it come to a boil again and turn off heat.  Add one cup of the cheese.  Wisk till melted.  Set it aside.

In a large bowl, rice the potatoes and garlic using a ricer.  Or mash the potatoes with a fork/masher.  Add about 1/4 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste while mashing.  Peel and slice eggs. 

In a oven proof casserole like dish, crumble fish into bite sized pieces along the bottom, spread out spinach over the fish.  Place slices of eggs in an even layer.  Pour sauce over it and sprinkle half of the remaining cup of cheese.  Then spread the mashed potatoes over the entire mixture.  Sprinkle with last half of cheese and drizzle olive oil over it.

Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or till the tops of the potato is golden brown. 

Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Yum!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:22:43 AM by omgheather »

Zilla

• Cooking
Spicy Ahi Ahi (Fresh Tuna)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
This comes from a few recipes I put together.  It is my family's favorite way of eating delicious fresh tuna.

Spicy Ahi Ahi

4-6 pieces of Tuna, any size or cut.  I prefer the sushi/sashimi grade
6 Tbsp of butter, divided
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Spicy Breadcrumbs, see below for recipe
Salt and Pepper to taste

Spicy Breadcrumbs
1 cup of breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp of each:
  Garlic Powder
  Onion Powder
  Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tsp of each:
  Cayenne Powder
  Salt
  Freshly Cracked Pepper
  Oregano

Mix all the above and set aside on a plate for dredging.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a wide bowl to allowing dipping of the tuna.  Set aside. Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter in a pan and put it on medium heat.  Add a touch of olive oil to prevent butter from burning.

While pan is heating up, dip both sides of the tuna in the reserved melted butter and presss firmly into the breadcrumb mixture on both sides.  Set in pan, do the same for all the other pieces.

Leave tuna undisturbed in pan for a good 3-5 minutes before flipping.  Once flipped, turn heat down to low and cover pan.  Let it cook till desired doneness.  I let it cook for a good 7 minutes as my family likes it medium well.  But the preferred method for tuna is another 3 minutes and remove from heat leaving a nice pink center barely warmed all the way through.  Your choice.  At this point you can salt and peper a little if you wish.  But the breadcrumbs have alot of flavor and often doesn't need it.

Serve immeadiately.

catsrme7

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
Salmon Spread

1 can Salmon (13-15 oz)
1 8 oz. package Cream Cheese, softened
1 T. Horseradish
1 t. Mustard
2/3 t. Liquid Smoke
12-15 stuffed green olives, chopped

Drain salmon, remove skin & bones.

Combine salmon with remaining ingredients.

Enjoy!

Stirling

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »
Easy marinated grilled salmon.

2 pounds salmon skin off and cut into individual serving pieces (should be about 1/2 pound per person).  Mix 3/4 cup maple syrup with 1/4 cup soy sauce.  Put salmon in a zip-lock bag and add the maple syrup/soy sauce mixture.  Get as much air out of the bag as you can and zip it closed.  Make sure marinade is in contact with as much of the fish as possible.  Place marinating fish in coldest part of refrigerator and flip over every few hours.  To do the marinade justice marinade the fish at least 24 hours (I usually marinade for 48 hours).  When ready to cook take fish out of refrigerator and let warm up a little bit (this helps to prevent sticking).  Before grilling sprinke the fish with black pepper.  Over medium to medium high heat grill the salmon about 5 minutes, flip the fish and grill on other side until done (about three to five minutes) being careful not to over cook the fish.

Elle

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »
Mango Tilapia

1 jar of mango salsa
2 Tilapia fillets

Put tilapia on a cookie sheet. Cover with salsa. Bake until fish is cooked through.

Easy broiled salmon

3 parts mayonaise (or miracle whip)
1 part stone ground mustard (or to taste)
Fresh tarragon to taste
1 large salmon fillet

Mix mayonaise, mustard, and tarragon together. Slather generously on the flesh side of the salmon (skin down). Reserve some sauce to serve with the salmon. Put fish under broiler for 7 minutes or until the sauce starts to caramelize and the fish is done.

Easiest Salmon EVAR!!1!
aka: Salmon Citron en Papillote avec Vegetables Julienne

Julienne:
1/2 fennel bulb
1/2 leek (the white part)
1 carrot

1 salmon fillet (6 oz)
1 orange, sectioned (white parts removed)
1/4 tsp coriander, divided
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
2 tbsp lime juice

Parchment paper

Cut a large heart shape out of the parchment paper (all the way to the edges, you'll be cooking in this).
Pile vegetables on one half of the paper. Put half the coriander, salt, and pepper on the veggies.
Put salmon on top of the veggies (skin side down). Sprinkle with remaining seasoning
Put orange sections on top of the salmon and add lime juice)
Fold the paper over and twist the edges together to create a tight seal. (Start at the top of the heart, twist a section, twist the next section, all the way down to the end and twist the end into a tail)
Microwave for 4 minutes and allow to rest for 1.
Serve on china for a fancy meal or in the paper for a no-dishes meal. Serves 1

LB

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »
No more replies to this topic, please. Editing in progress.