Author Topic: Annoying Coworker's Comments on How I Dress  (Read 19539 times)

BeagleMommy

Annoying Coworker's Comments on How I Dress
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
The office where I work has a business/casual dress code.  Typically khakis and blouses/shirts and flat shoes.  I've never been comfortable dressing this way in an office setting.  For the past two years I have tried the business/casual attire and usually end up checking myself and fidgeting all over the place.  Therefore, I've decided to buck the trend and dress how I feel most comfortable.

This month I started dressing more like myself in skirts, dresses, some pants, pretty blouses and heels (not stilettos, just heels).  As a result, I feel prettier and more confident.  I like to describe my look as corporate with a slight edge.

I've been getting a lot of compliments about how I dress.  Last week I wore a gray tweed shift dress along with black leather over-the-knee boots.  One of my office mates gave me a compliment just as Annoying Coworker walked by (honestly, her timing is impeccable).  Her comment was "Yeah, BeagleMommy, you've been dressing more (loooooong pause) interesting."  The tone of voice she used was quite condescending.

My response "Thanks.  That's what I was going for."  Thank you ehell!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Annoying Coworker's Comments on How I Dress
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »
she's a jealous doofus. your out fit sounds lovely!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

AustenFan

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »
She does sound like a doofus, and probably feels like there is a subtle criticism of how she's dressing in your choice of nicer clothes but can't put her finger on what annoys her about it.

I'm like you and lean more toward the business side of business casual, and get the occasional snarky comment. Or when the girls are doing their annoying "let's find something to compliment about eachother on work time" and I get left out when I know I look rockin'. Interestingly, one of the ladies most guilty of this started asking me where I get my blouses, jackets and boots and started showing up in very similar stuff.  >:D

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:35:36 AM »
Good response. As an aside, good for you!  I know I "act" a bit differently when I feel confident in what I am wearing, and I enjoy my day just a bit more too.  Even just wearing a nice perfume can help turn a blah day into a better one. Your outfits sound lovely!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
It amuses me, in a sad way, how when offices or groups embrace informality, it is usually offered up as proof that the group is "all about freedom of choice". Yes, until you choose not to dress informally. It soon becomes apparent that the unspoken rule was not "dress as you please," it was "dress informally, like we told you".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
Good for you!  My office is business casual, and some people here take that very literally, almost to the point of sloppy, and others dress very nicely, much better than a lot of folks.  I'm in the middle; some days Khakis and a nice top and flats work well, other days I dress up abit. And the only comments I've ever gotten are postive!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »
As long as it isn't in poor taste, you can wear what you want to the office.  Your outfit certainly doesn't sound in poor taste. 

Many people find that dressing in a more professional manner helps them think and act in a more professional manner.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Mr. Thipu assumed a different look and attitude when he put on his Monday morning 'corporate armor' after spending the weekend in what we called his 'going to buy a cow' outfit. 

Ignore the doofus.  Nobody needs to dress like a clone. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
Good response!

I work in a one girl office for several independent contractors and dress casually also.  Anytime I show up in anything slightly nicer someone will ask if I am going to a funeral (which I usually am).  There's no good response for that except to give the time I will be gone. 

You would think after this has happened several times they would stop asking in that way...

lilfox

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:40:51 PM »
Her comment was "Yeah, BeagleMommy, you've been dressing more (loooooong pause) interesting."  The tone of voice she used was quite condescending.

My response "Thanks.  That's what I was going for."  Thank you ehell!

Love it!  I hope you gave her a big smile too.

FWIW, I just moved from an office location where the majority of (male) engineers dress like it's casual Friday every day.  Which is fine, and I like the option to wear jeans whenever I feel like it.  However, I also have some more formal work stuff that I want to get more use out of.  Now that I'm in an office location where there are more women, I notice they dress up and I feel like I can wear my nicer work stuff without people asking when my interview is.   :P

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
It amuses me, in a sad way, how when offices or groups embrace informality, it is usually offered up as proof that the group is "all about freedom of choice". Yes, until you choose not to dress informally. It soon becomes apparent that the unspoken rule was not "dress as you please," it was "dress informally, like we told you".

This. So much. <sigh>

I get the "You can dress any way you like! Except that way. Or that way. Or... why don't you just dress like us?"

Maybe because I don't like your clothes??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
Your response was great and that outfit sounds wonderful.    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

onikenbai

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:35 PM »
I am also the office oddball.  Not more fancy or less fancy, just different.  These are my new shoes and I will totally wear these to the office once I'm finished my drilling gig:
http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=gender%3Awomen&pp=2&view=detail&p=36&colourID=3526

Work your weird.  People will remember you for being different and that is not always a bad thing.  Your co-worker is probably just jealous that she doesn't look as put together as you do.

I so very much want black over the knee boots but chunky calves make it not likely to happen.  :'(  Even getting knee highs is proving to be a challenge.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:42 AM »
I am also the office oddball.  Not more fancy or less fancy, just different.  These are my new shoes and I will totally wear these to the office once I'm finished my drilling gig:
http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=gender%3Awomen&pp=2&view=detail&p=36&colourID=3526

Work your weird.  People will remember you for being different and that is not always a bad thing.  Your co-worker is probably just jealous that she doesn't look as put together as you do.

I so very much want black over the knee boots but chunky calves make it not likely to happen.  :'(  Even getting knee highs is proving to be a challenge.

Those boots are awesome with sole!

http://www.bennettsboots.com/  This is an Australian company that makes wide calf boots.  I've got three pairs and have worn them to death.  Love, love, love them.  If you're not in Aus, I think they do ship overseas. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »
I think it's not unusual for people to react when they notice a sudden change in a person's attire, but it's a shame she couldn't come up with a more complimentary phrase if she was going to say anything.   It would irritate me too and I think your response was perfect.

I love business casual because it takes the pressure off, but I am also somebody who - most of the time - likes to put some extra effort in and buck the trend.    In my case I actually prefer to have quite separate "work clothes" versus "personal clothes" in my wardrobe, so it makes sense to me have them separate.   And if I'm having separate work clothes I may as well have ones that are useful for any occasion!  (e.g. corporate or casual).  But I really love that if I do have one of *those* days and roll out of bed stressed to my eyeballs, I can throw on nearly anything in sight and not have to worry!   ;D   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:26 AM »

I used to work in a dr's office where the unofficial dress code was scrubs. You didn't have to but everyone did.   One day I got home to find that some pretty skirts had come in the mail and I decided I wanted to wear one the next day.  It was an emerald green broomstick skirt I wore with a light pink top.  I got compliments from most, though a couple asked "Why aren't you wearing scrubs? We wear scrubs!!"
"But it's not the official dress code, so what's the harm in doing something a little different now and then?" They didn't have an answer for that.  I did go back to the scrubs the next day, but it was nice to do something a little different. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata