Author Topic: Annoying Coworker's Comments on How I Dress  (Read 19830 times)

Syfygeek

Re: Annoying Coworker's Comments on How I Dress
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
I am also the office oddball.  Not more fancy or less fancy, just different.  These are my new shoes and I will totally wear these to the office once I'm finished my drilling gig:
http://www.fluevog.com/code/?w%5B0%5D=gender%3Awomen&pp=2&view=detail&p=36&colourID=3526

Work your weird.  People will remember you for being different and that is not always a bad thing.  Your co-worker is probably just jealous that she doesn't look as put together as you do.

I so very much want black over the knee boots but chunky calves make it not likely to happen.  :'(  Even getting knee highs is proving to be a challenge.

Torrid.com has some great boots. I have really wide calves, and bought a pair of tan over the knee last year, and pair of black ones this year. I have the black ones on today, with a wrap dress and feel rather sassy!

That's my purse! I don't know you!

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
Same here!  I work in a very casual office, but I don't own casual clothes.  I'm not comfortable in them and they aren't flattering on me.  Like you I dress in skirts, heels, blouses, dresses etc...  My boss actually pulled me aside and told me I could dress down if I wanted to.  I laughed and said I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe.  He complimented me on my style and told me to dress anyway I wanted.  I asked about tutu's, he said don't push it.

You handled annoying coworker perfectly.  She wanted you to take the bait and get defensive, instead you turned it into a compliment.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
Thanks, all!  Today I'm wearing a pinstriped suit and rocking it with fuschia heels.  She's been giving me dirty looks all day.  >:D

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
Thanks, all!  Today I'm wearing a pinstriped suit and rocking it with fuschia heels.  She's been giving me dirty looks all day.  >:D

Someone has issues.  ::)
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:40 PM »

BF teases me when we watch Mad Men together becuase I always drool and/or sigh longingly at the clothes.  I long for the days of hats, matching shoes and handbags, small white gloves, costume jewelry and beautiful dresses and suits.  Sigh.  I want to keep all the equality women have fought for and just bring back the fashion.   Mmmmmm...vintage hats...

BeagleMommy

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »

BF teases me when we watch Mad Men together becuase I always drool and/or sigh longingly at the clothes.  I long for the days of hats, matching shoes and handbags, small white gloves, costume jewelry and beautiful dresses and suits.  Sigh.  I want to keep all the equality women have fought for and just bring back the fashion.   Mmmmmm...vintage hats...

Auntie Mame are you my long lost sister?  My mother says I was born in the wrong decade because I love the Mad Men look.  I just bought a beautiful brown felt cloche that will be perfect for fall!

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Haha!  Mayhap!  I can consider having only 6 pairs of heels and 10 hats to be "running low"  ;D

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 02:36:53 PM »
My office is business casual - leaning towards the casual.  No jeans, but pretty much anything else is OK.  My boss wears a suit about 80% of the time (and the rest of the time, he still wears a sportscoat).  I noticed and started to upgrade my wardrobe, mostly skirts and blouses, not suits,  and for winter I plan to go with dress slacks with a sweater set or blouse and jacket.  Since I have been dressing like that, I noticed he has been treating me with more respect and offering me better assignments.  Part of it may be that I think I act more professionally when I am "dressed up" but I also think, in his opinion, my more professional style puts me a step above my coworkers.  Some of my coworkers have commented (unflatteringly) on my new style, but I just smile and keep going.  I can wear what I wish to "dress for success"!

snugasabug

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
Jealous......jealous.....   ;)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »
The office where I work has a business/casual dress code.  Typically khakis and blouses/shirts and flat shoes.  I've never been comfortable dressing this way in an office setting.  For the past two years I have tried the business/casual attire and usually end up checking myself and fidgeting all over the place.  Therefore, I've decided to buck the trend and dress how I feel most comfortable.

This month I started dressing more like myself in skirts, dresses, some pants, pretty blouses and heels (not stilettos, just heels).  As a result, I feel prettier and more confident.  I like to describe my look as corporate with a slight edge.

I've been getting a lot of compliments about how I dress.  Last week I wore a gray tweed shift dress along with black leather over-the-knee boots.  One of my office mates gave me a compliment just as Annoying Coworker walked by (honestly, her timing is impeccable).  Her comment was "Yeah, BeagleMommy, you've been dressing more (loooooong pause) interesting."  The tone of voice she used was quite condescending.

My response "Thanks.  That's what I was going for."  Thank you ehell!

Ah. Trying to get a rise out of someone else to cover one's own insecurity. Nicely handled, BeagleMommy!!!  8) 
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

lkb

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
Hmmm, well....

While I think the OP's comment was fine, I'm thinking the co-worker may have had a point about the outfit in the original post.
"Over the knee boots" calls this to mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100405/. A grey tweed shift dress sounds fine (I'd love one for myself) but wouldn't it have to be fairly short to show off the over-the-knee-ness of the boots? If so, then I too question the appropriateness of the outfit.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Also I suppose it depends on the workplace.

In general, I do agree with the OP and other posters that skirts, dresses, dress pants, pretty blouses and reasonable heels make me feel prettier and more confident than the typical khaki/polo shirt business casual look.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
Hmmm, well....

While I think the OP's comment was fine, I'm thinking the co-worker may have had a point about the outfit in the original post.
"Over the knee boots" calls this to mind http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100405/. A grey tweed shift dress sounds fine (I'd love one for myself) but wouldn't it have to be fairly short to show off the over-the-knee-ness of the boots? If so, then I too question the appropriateness of the outfit.

In general, I do agree with the OP and other posters that skirts, dresses, dress pants, pretty blouses and reasonable heels make me feel prettier and more confident than the typical khaki/polo shirt business casual look.

Well, it doesn't say anywhere that the co-irker could see the top of the boots. And, too, you can pretty much guess they're over the knee if the skirt comes to the knees (a perfectly appropriate length in almost every office) and the boots are still going.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »
Hmmm, well....

As you can see here http://fabulouspastanotincluded.blogspot.com/2010/12/over-knee-knockout.html, there are plenty of over-the-knee boot styles that would be fine in most casual offices.  And the dress wouldn't have to be short at all.  To the knee would show the boots off  while still being modest enough for the office. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

auntmeegs

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 03:13:27 PM »
Hmmm, well....

As you can see here http://fabulouspastanotincluded.blogspot.com/2010/12/over-knee-knockout.html, there are plenty of over-the-knee boot styles that would be fine in most casual offices.  And the dress wouldn't have to be short at all.  To the knee would show the boots off  while still being modest enough for the office.

Ha!!  I have that very pair of Guess boots in the first picture!  And yes, they are totally appropriate for the office. 

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I have a few pairs of over the knee boots that I wear to my office with skirts.  Doesn't make me a hooker.