A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Canadian Thanksgiving.

(1/5) > >>

Thipu1:
No quite transatlantic but international. 

On another thread there was a mention that menus for Canadian Thanksgiving dinners differ from those in the USA. 

It would be interesting to know the differences.  Those of us down south could take a point or two from our northern neighbors. 

redleaf:
From what I've seen, I don't think there is too much difference - other than the fact that we celebrate it in October rather than November. 

Our usual TG meal is turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing/dressing, cranberry sauce, buns/rolls, a side vegetable (usually peas in our family), sometimes a garden salad and pumpkin pie for dessert  :)  It may vary across the country, but in western Canada, that's fairly standard.

Outdoor Girl:
I think the biggest difference, beyond the October/November thing, is that we tend to have our vegetables as is with just butter, salt and pepper rather than casseroles.  And pumpkin pie is usually the only dessert.

AustenFan:
I think the major difference may be green bean casserole. I have lived in Canada all my life and never heard of it. I have never heard of sweet potatoes being served, either. You usually get them in fry form up here. For our vegetables we have carmelized brussels sprouts, roasted broccoli or broccoli salad and a side salad.

I don't like pumpkin at all, so we usually have a couple desserts including a nice caramel apple pie with vanilla bean ice cream.

redleaf:

--- Quote from: AustenFan on September 24, 2012, 02:06:10 PM ---I think the major difference may be green bean casserole. I have lived in Canada all my life and never heard of it.

--- End quote ---

Green bean casserole may be regional - I've been served it many times (never eaten it, as I don't care for green beans), just not at TG dinner...unless that's what you meant in your post  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version