A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Canadian Thanksgiving.

<< < (2/5) > >>

Deetee:
I've had Thanksgiving in both countries and the only real difference I found was that we (Canada) always have brussel sprouts and I couldn't even find them in the stores in the US.

katcheya:
I have never been served candied yam at our Thanksgiving dinner, nor the green bean casserole a dish regularly served in my family.  Everything else is the same as what I've read in books or forums posts!

Sharnita:

--- Quote from: Deetee on September 24, 2012, 02:41:10 PM ---I've had Thanksgiving in both countries and the only real difference I found was that we (Canada) always have brussel sprouts and I couldn't even find them in the stores in the US.

--- End quote ---

I always thought brussel sprouts tended to be kind of gassy if you will and at Thanksgiving people tend to eat so much of so many different foods that it isn't a veggie I'd tend to serve.

Thipu1:
Thanks, everyone.

The date of Canadian Thanksgiving is easy for people in the USA to remember.  It's the same day as our Columbus Day. 

Growing up in southern NYS, we never had the notorious green bean casserole.  We had green beans but they were fresh and served with a little butter and salt.  We had sweet potatoes but they were just roasted or baked.  We never had to put up with the marshmallow mess although a cook considered sloppy might open a purple can of 'Royal Prince Yams'. 

Although I loved them, we never had brussel sprouts for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners.  We did have creamed onions.  Nobody ever ate the onions but the sauce was a nice addition to the gravy on the mashed potatoes. 

Pumpkin and apple pies were a standard for dessert at the holidays. 

Ooh.  Now I'm getting interested in Holiday dinners. 

Outdoor Girl:
I have my list going already!  I have to strip the summer savoury I have dried, make up my dressing herb mix which includes the savoury, some thyme, sage, seasoned salt, black pepper and ginger.  I have to grind up the bread crusts I have in the freezer for crumbs.  I'm hoping cranberries will be in the store next week so I can make the cranberry orange relish.  I need to make pastry and roll out some shells for making pumpkin pies.  My carrots, beets and rutabagas are still in the ground; I'll have to dig them next week to take with me to my brother's for the dinner.

Plus, the weekend after, my Dad and my brother will go to the camp to go hunting.  I usually make them a couple of pies to eat while they are up there.  I'm planning on raisin and raspberry, I think.  I'll send an extra shell and container of pumpkin pie fill, too.

The only think I don't know right now is how many we are going to be for Thanksgiving.  It might be just 5 of us; it might be more depending on whether or not any of my nephews' friends would otherwise be alone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version