Author Topic: Party at a Restaurant  (Read 8326 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Party at a Restaurant
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 03:46:02 PM »
7-9 are dinner hours for a lot of people on Saturdays.

I think you are running a serious risk of running out of food very quickly.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
I agree with the order the food you listed and then order more if runs low. I've been to events over those hours with much less food and more people and have seen the food only half eaten. If it is easy to order more that's the way to go.

mj

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »
7-9 are dinner hours for a lot of people on Saturdays.

I think you are running a serious risk of running out of food very quickly.

That's prime dinner hours at restaurants around here too.  Even though you mentioned clearly on your invite what the event is and what you're providing, I think from what the current trend is around here, that you're going to have people ordering dinner or more food in some fashion.

thedudeabides

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
I don't think it's enough food, either.  But if you do go with that amount, don't be surprised if people leave the area you're in to go to the rest of the pub to order more or simply leave once they get hungry enough.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 03:15:49 AM »

I agree that the timing is a bit of a problem. Eating dinner before a 7pm social event, for many people, means eating early and fast. I know I rarely eat before 7pm, and to eat dinner, clean up afterwards, get ready and travel to the pub would mean eating by 5:30 at the latest. But at 7pm, I'd still be full from dinner, and not want to eat.

So for a 7pm party where light food is being served, I'd probably grab a light snack before leaving - a piece of fruit and some crackers, say, and plan on eating most of my meal in the snacks. My husband, on the other hand, would probably not eat before hand, but would plan on eating something after getting home later that night.

If I were meeting friends at the pub at 7pm for a normal evening, though, I'd eat dinner at the pub. So I wouldn't be too surprised if people at the event decide to order more food, to make up their dinner, as it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for someone to either go through a rushed dinner early, or go hungry until late, when they're going somewhere that sells meals.

In a situation like this, I might be tempted to go to the pub an hour early, so I can order and eat a light meal before the party starts, with a minimum of extra fuss.

sourwolf

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 06:35:17 AM »
Not to pile on but I have to agree with the last several posters.  Is it too late to change the party to 8-10 instead? Then people would have a little more flexibility in eating beforehand/you could get away with just munchies.

WonderWoman

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Hi,

I mistyped - it is 7:30-9:00. We didn't want to make the event much later because, frankly, we're all older and work long hours and don't enjoy staying out really late. (Also wanted to be sure the kitchen was open while we were there.)

It is an open event, so people will be coming and going as their schedule allows. Everyone lives within about 15-20 minutes of the venue. I believe they can manage to eat dinner and be at a party at 7:30.

Around here, it is not that unusual to have a cocktails/beer and apps party. Based on responses I'm gathering that most people have dinner parties? That would be nice. I'm having the party that I can afford.

At any rate, as I said previously, I will order food and drinks and refill as needed.

Thank you!

NyaChan

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »
I think the timing is perfectly fine for munchies and drinks, especially as people have been told about it, refills are planned, & guests have access to other food if the food & refills aren't enough. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:33 AM »
Based on responses I'm gathering that most people have dinner parties? That would be nice. I'm having the party that I can afford.

I think it's more that even at an apps party, I'd probably only snack at home--not because I planned to snarf down ten people's shares of the appetizers, but because pub appetizers tend to be really heavy, and a reasonable portion of them can be as filling as a meal. I just think the portions listed are a little short for the number of people involved.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »

Around here, it is not that unusual to have a cocktails/beer and apps party. Based on responses I'm gathering that most people have dinner parties? That would be nice. I'm having the party that I can afford.

Thank you!

From my own post, I only wanted to give you a rough idea on what to expect so that you aren't surprised by how fast it goes and can save up for "worst" case scenario.  Especially since you are trying to do it in an affordable manner.  Sorry if it gave that vibe that I was trying to say it was a dinner party instead of beer and apps which is common in my area.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
That's really not enough food for those hours and that number of people.  Honestly, if you can't afford to host people and give them a proper portion of food, you need to change your hosting plans.  7:30 to 9 PM on a Saturday is when everyone I know eats dinner (and I am in my 30s and many of us work long hours).  I'm on a pretty limited budget and I've still managed to host parties over the years, but I do need to adapt my plans to the money I have available.

If money is an issue why not go to a casual pizza place that has beer or host at home and have a local takeout place bring a bunch of apps and supply your own alcohol.
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

mj

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Hi,

I mistyped - it is 7:30-9:00. We didn't want to make the event much later because, frankly, we're all older and work long hours and don't enjoy staying out really late. (Also wanted to be sure the kitchen was open while we were there.)

It is an open event, so people will be coming and going as their schedule allows. Everyone lives within about 15-20 minutes of the venue. I believe they can manage to eat dinner and be at a party at 7:30.

At any rate, as I said previously, I will order food and drinks and refill as needed.

Thank you!

We do have cocktail/beer and app parties around here, but they are generally held after dinner hours.  Usually they start at 9 pm or later.  There is only one time this type of party was held earlier, and if I recall correctly it was 6:30 pm.  People were told upfront that it was app and drinks but many were still hungry and left early.

I just wanted to warn you that people might order more on their own or leave the area to order a meal, based on what I've seen.  Your OP was unsure what to do about people ordering their own different drinks and food, and based on the timing, I think you do have a legitimate concern with that happening.  But, if the time you have set is the same time your crowd does these types of parties, then I think you're safe. Just wanted to give you my experience with this sort of thing.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
That's really not enough food for those hours and that number of people.  Honestly, if you can't afford to host people and give them a proper portion of food, you need to change your hosting plans.  7:30 to 9 PM on a Saturday is when everyone I know eats dinner (and I am in my 30s and many of us work long hours).  I'm on a pretty limited budget and I've still managed to host parties over the years, but I do need to adapt my plans to the money I have available.

If money is an issue why not go to a casual pizza place that has beer or host at home and have a local takeout place bring a bunch of apps and supply your own alcohol.

Exactly. There are lots of ways to make a gathering happen on a budget, but what you have planned now seems likely to cause disappointment all around.

It simply isn't reasonable to expect 20 people to consider the spread provided as even "light appetizers", doubly so because it's in prime dining hours. Every party I've been to (even late night cocktail hours) that promised light appetizers included more than just a few morsels per person. So, schedule the party some time other than "dinner time", supplement the dining options, or choose a different venue.
Utah

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 02:49:30 PM »
I'm not sure why there's thinking there won't be enough food.  The OP said she will refill when necessary (yes, there is a dollar cap, but she stated even that will be assessed if the time came).  Maybe she doesn't want people ordering off "her" menu for whatever reason, but I don't see a problem if she keeps refilling what she has approved.  I think refilling makes sense because she said it's an open house type event (only 1 and a 1/2 hours) where people come and go.  Those who show up later will have fresh food.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:52:08 PM by rose red »

NyaChan

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
I'm not sure why there's thinking there won't be enough food.  The OP said she will refill when necessary (yes, there is a dollar cap, but she stated even that will be assessed if the time came).  Maybe she doesn't want people ordering off "her" menu for whatever reason, but I don't see a problem if she keeps refilling what she has approved.  I think refilling makes sense because she said it's an open house type event (only 1 and a 1/2 hours) where people come and go.  Those who show up later will have fresh food.

Exactly.