Author Topic: Blog Threads  (Read 24744 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: Blog Threads
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 08:29:07 AM »
Miss Jeanne, i still don't understand what made you so angry about the "Biting the Hand that Feeds You" post. 

Probably she did not like her comments scrutinized and picked apart in a new thread when one could have posted on the blog itself and said the same thing.

That only works if she was going to post the comment. If not, she's effectively saying that she won't tolerate dissention. If she did post it, well, why would it matter if it were discussed in the forums?

As others have pointed out, there had been no action on that blog post in well over a month. Even if a new comment did get posted, how many people would read it and respond? If the OP wanted to discuss the topic at hand, the forum was the only option.

Is there actually a rule that says we can't discuss blog posts in the forum? If so, I haven't seen it.
The status is not quo!

sourwolf

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
Miss Jeanne, i still don't understand what made you so angry about the "Biting the Hand that Feeds You" post. 

Probably she did not like her comments scrutinized and picked apart in a new thread when one could have posted on the blog itself and said the same thing.

That only works if she was going to post the comment. If not, she's effectively saying that she won't tolerate dissention. If she did post it, well, why would it matter if it were discussed in the forums?

As others have pointed out, there had been no action on that blog post in well over a month. Even if a new comment did get posted, how many people would read it and respond? If the OP wanted to discuss the topic at hand, the forum was the only option.

Is there actually a rule that says we can't discuss blog posts in the forum? If so, I haven't seen it.

I have a question.  Does commenting on a blog post bump it to the front page of the blog like commenting on a post here bumps a thread? Because if it doesn't I can understand wanting to discuss blog posts here, especially the older ones.  Otherwise it seems like there is no point in Commenting on older blog posts, it would almost be like the "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound" but it would be "if someone comments on a blog post but no one reads it is it really contributing to a discussion?

I agree with the previous posters that any discussion here should not include a discussion of the posted comments. 

O'Dell

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2012, 09:42:10 AM »
There have been several threads about blog post  I was looking and  there is  another one that was  going before the one recently locked and is still open now. So people do discuss blog post in the forum.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=120280.0

It's easy enough for these threads to fly under the radar of the Dame and the mods. They can't read every thread. Unless someone reports it, they might never see it.

I like the rules as they stand. I can also get behind a sort of compromise where posts from the forum are printed on the blog with permission from the forum member and where blog articles can be discussed on the forum after a specified amount of time, say a year or 2. But I don't think it's all that necessary to discuss the blog posts here...if you are interested in those issues, discuss it on the blog. It's not as if the forum doesn't have enough fodder to get ourselves worked up over without the blog threads. (I say that as someone who has been known to get pretty worked up here!) ;)

I don't like the consequences that Miss Jean has stated if the firewall between the blog and forum is broken down completely. If she would rather keep a strict separation between the 2, that's her business...literally her business. It's her decision to make.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

audrey1962

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
There have been several threads about blog post  I was looking and  there is  another one that was  going before the one recently locked and is still open now. So people do discuss blog post in the forum.

I like the rules as they stand.

What are the rules? I was unaware there was a rule that we could not discuss blog posts until I saw this thread.

And to answer an earlier question, commenting on a blog post does not bump that entry to the top. The blog posts are in the order in which they were posted.

sourwolf

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »

It's easy enough for these threads to fly under the radar of the Dame and the mods. They can't read every thread. Unless someone reports it, they might never see it.

I like the rules as they stand. I can also get behind a sort of compromise where posts from the forum are printed on the blog with permission from the forum member and where blog articles can be discussed on the forum after a specified amount of time, say a year or 2. But I don't think it's all that necessary to discuss the blog posts here...if you are interested in those issues, discuss it on the blog. It's not as if the forum doesn't have enough fodder to get ourselves worked up over without the blog threads. (I say that as someone who has been known to get pretty worked up here!) ;)

I don't like the consequences that Miss Jean has stated if the firewall between the blog and forum is broken down completely. If she would rather keep a strict separation between the 2, that's her business...literally her business. It's her decision to make.

What are the rules as they stand? That seems to be the question.  I looked at the rules very carefully before I began posting and there wasn't anything about not being able to comment on blog posts on the forum.  If Ehelldame wants to make that it a rule that's perfectly fair but it needs to be stated somewhere so that everyone knows its a rule.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »
I have a question.  Does commenting on a blog post bump it to the front page of the blog like commenting on a post here bumps a thread? Because if it doesn't I can understand wanting to discuss blog posts here, especially the older ones.  Otherwise it seems like there is no point in Commenting on older blog posts, it would almost be like the "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound" but it would be "if someone comments on a blog post but no one reads it is it really contributing to a discussion?

No, it does not. Once a blog post is gone from the front page of the blog it is gone forever unless the Dame herself chooses to make it a sticky post. At least, that's the way all other blogs I have experience with.

That's why I'm puzzled by the negative reaction to the thread - it's not like it has stolen the attention from the blog post - blogs are fickle things, and 2 months is an eternity.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:02:16 AM by MariaE »

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »

I don't believe it does bump it, sourwolf. I also haven't figured out a way to get notifications on the blog posts so we can get emails if a thread gets new replies, though it may exist and I just haven't found it.

O'Dell

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 10:07:19 AM »

What are the rules? I was unaware there was a rule that we could not discuss blog posts until I saw this thread.

And to answer an earlier question, commenting on a blog post does not bump that entry to the top. The blog posts are in the order in which they were posted.

The "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" rule the Dame uses and the corollary "what happens on the blog, stays on the blog" which IMO is only fair.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

The "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" rule the Dame uses and the corollary "what happens on the blog, stays on the blog" which IMO is only fair.

The question is, was "what happens on the blog stays on the blog" a rule before two days ago? If it's a rule now, I'll duly adhere to it.

sourwolf

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »

Could you post the link where it says "what happens on the blog stays on the blog?" I just looked at the rules again and didn't see anything that said that.  I believe many posters had no idea there was a separation between the two until Ehelldame brought it up.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2012, 10:11:43 AM »

No, it does not. Once a blog post is gone from the front page of the blog it is gone forever unless the Dame herself chooses to make it a sticky post. At least, that's the way all other blogs I have experience with.

That's why I'm puzzled by the negative reaction to the thread - it's not like it has stolen the attention from the blog post - blogs are fickle things, and 2 months is an eternity.

I too hadn't realized they were two different areas.  I also didn't realize there was a rule about not bringing it up on here.  I too would like to know if it is or is not okay.  I think it's fine either way, to bring it in here or have it be a rule not to discuss it here.

audrey1962

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »

I was unaware that was a rule until I read this thread.

O'Dell

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »

Could you post the link where it says "what happens on the blog stays on the blog?" I just looked at the rules again and didn't see anything that said that.  I believe many posters had no idea there was a separation between the two until Ehelldame brought it up.

No I'm gathering that rule from the Dame has been posting in this thread. If the rule is new or just an old unspoken rule, "what happens on the blog, stays on the blog" is fine by me. And to me, the "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" suggests it.

What I'm getting is that stated rule or not, Miss Jean has been working under that philosophy. I'm okay with that. I'm okay with a compromise as stated earlier. I'm not so okay with dropping the "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" principle. But I'll probably roll with it if it happens.
Walt Whitman

sourwolf

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »

No I'm gathering that rule from the Dame has been posting in this thread. If the rule is new or just an old unspoken rule, "what happens on the blog, stays on the blog" is fine by me. And to me, the "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" suggests it.

What I'm getting is that stated rule or not, Miss Jean has been working under that philosophy. I'm okay with that. I'm okay with a compromise as stated earlier. I'm not so okay with dropping the "what happens on the forum, stays on the forum" principle. But I'll probably roll with it if it happens.

Thanks for explaining - I thought I was having a reading comprehension fail (and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't find it!)

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »

I just used this as an example we have discussed blog threads several times in the past and it has never  ever been and issue so they fact that there is suddenly a problem with it is surprising to people.   I also think that there is a HUGE difference between people posting something to the blog and people posting on the forum.  The Blog  is usually a story that people just want to tell but in the forum people  have questions attached to the stories and enjoy the interaction.    The interaction is the reason I think that people start blog threads here they want to see others opinions and have that back and forth interaction.  I also know that some people that wouldn't bother to post to the blog will comment on a thread posted here.