Author Topic: Great Punch Recipe?  (Read 5725 times)

AstiTheWestie

Great Punch Recipe?
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
Hi all! My best friend's niece is getting married this coming weekend and she is hosting one of the get-togethers for the families. She is looking for a favorite punch recipe? Since my only punch experience is the ginger-ale-and-rainbow-sherbet variety,  ;D, I am looking to expand the horizons. Alcoholic, non-alcoholic; really anything. Ideas? Thanks!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Great Punch Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
I like a mixture of cranberry and orange juice with gingerale or sprite.  I make an ice ring in a bundt pan with orange, lemon, lime slices and or strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
I remember in high school doing something similar - 1 can each of frozen orange & pineapple juice, mixed with Sprite or 7-up instead of water.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
I LOVE punch!! I really dislike the kinds that are made with sherbet though...the longer it sits the sherbet gets kind of...scuzzy. I found both of these punch recipes on Pinterest and they are both YUMMY!

http://pamperedjes.blogspot.com/2012/03/thirsty-thursday-sarasota-lemonade.html?m=1

This one is more for maybe the morning of the wedding...maybe during hair & makeup time? I do love me some mimosas! http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1468601-Mimosa-Punch
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

cattlekid

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:13:24 PM »
This is from my great-aunt and has been enjoyed by three generations of the family so far.   ;D

Hospitality Punch
1 cup Southern Comfort (don't get the 100 proof unless no one is driving LOL)
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
3 ounces lemon juice
24 ounces Squirt (or other grapefruit flavored soft drink)

Chill ingredients, mix in punch bowl, adding Squirt last.  Add ice ring.  Garnish with orange and lemon slices.

Note from Great-Aunt:  Ice ring could be made with cranberry juice.  If you freeze Squirt, it loses its fizz.   ;D

anniehawks

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
My standard punch recipe is cranapple juice and gingerale, approximately half of each, over ice.  If you want, you can add white wine or champagne.  Its a different flavor and very refreshing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »
Is it going to be cold where you are?  If it is and she has access to a stove where she is hosting the party, you could make mulled cranberry.

1 gallon cranberry juice
1 can raspberry concentrate (or other berry mixture - the straight raspberry is hard to find) - don't add any water
3-5 cinnamon sticks, broken up into pieces
~6 whole cloves

I like to tie the spices in a bit of cheese cloth so I don't have to fish them out later.

Heat everything in a big pot just until it boils then turn it down to a low simmer for at least an hour before serving.  When serving, you can fill about 1/3 of the cup with red wine, top with the mulled cranberry.  Or you can just drink it straight.

My Mom always served this at her Christmas party.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »
This is one I used to serve for non-alcohol.

2 liters bottles ginger ale, chilled
46 ounce can pineapple juice, chilled
64 ounce bottle white grape juice, chilled

Just mix together.  It's not very sweet which is one reason we liked it so much.  You can also create a ice ring by using a tube cake pan or other mold by filling it with another bottle of ginger ale and floating in some strawberries or cherries.

And this for a champagne punch
12 ounce can frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1 12 ounce can frozen pink lemonade concentrate
1 6 ounce can frozen limeade concentrate
1 750 milliliter bottle white wine chilled
1 liter carbonated water chilled
2 750 milliliter bottles champagne, chilled
1 lemon - sliced
1 pint strawberries
Mix everything together and float in the lemon slices and strawberries.  Save the strawberries to snack on the next day.       

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »

For a simple non-alcoholic punch, I use gingerale or sprite as a base, add concentrated juice cans (cranberry and white are good, raspberry is nice in moderation), sliced lemons, limes and oranges, and frozen berries.

For alcoholic options, you can do a white wine punch. The proportions I use are 1 L of Sprite or 7-up, 750 ml bottle of white wine (doesn't have to be expensive, but shouldn't be total plonk), juice of a lemon, juice of an orange, about 1 cup of mixed berries (the Costco frozen bag is good) and 1 cup of some combination of apple/grape/peach/pear/plum. The berries can soak in the wine in advance, and the Sprite is added at the last minute.

The red wine version makes a Sangria like punch - the same proportion of red wine and Sprite, the lemon and orange juice, and the fruit.  For either of them, if you want to stretch the alcohol farther, and make it less potent, you can add clear fruit juice like cranberry or white grape.

In cold weather, I also like the mulled wine/ mulled cider combo. I do the wine fairly weak - diluted by about half - with the addition of lemon and orange juice, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, a few black pepper corns, and dried cranberries.  For the mulled cider I use about 3/4 apple juice and 1/4 cranberry cocktail, with similar and no added sugar.

hkkatie

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
At my big family get togethers, we usually do a mix of grape juice, lemonade and sprite. It's pretty good. :)

NOLAGal

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 03:00:16 PM »
We find this one very refreshing.

Sunshine Slush

6 ripe bananas
1 can (6oz) frozen lemonade, thawed
1 can (12oz) frozen orange juice, thawed
1 can (46oz) pineapple juice
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 large bottles (64oz) 7-up, chilled

Combine bananas & fruit juice concentrate in container of electric blender; blend until smooth.  Blend half the ingredients at one time, then put all together in a large bowl.  Combine banana mixture, pineapple juice, water & sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well.  Pour into plastic freezer containers.  Freeze.

To serve:  Thaw until mushy, one hour or more.  Add 7-up.  Using half the ingredients at one time, this fills the average punch bowl twice.  Makes about 4 quarts.

NOLAGal

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
I like this "punch" in particular, with some modifications: http://www.food.com/recipe/coffee-punch-52102

1. I don't add the sugar
2. I add as much Irish creme & Kahlua as I can >:D

My arteries won't thank me later, but it is my favorite.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I have forwarded all ideas to BFF. I am so thrilled to be a part of this forum! Thanks again :D

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
Pomegranate juice, gingerale and mixed frozen berries with no sugar.  A hit everytime I serve it.
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.