Author Topic: What information needs to be on a Save the Date?- work event  (Read 2184 times)

Syfygeek

What information needs to be on a Save the Date?- work event
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
I have to create Save the Date cards for an event next spring.  It is a huge event, and Mr. Blue, who is paying for the theater renovation (and it will be named the Mr. Blue Theater) has put me in charge of planning the event, so I may be back with more situations as they come up!

Save the Date- we're sending out in November for a May event, in order to get on peoples spring schedules.  My boss, first wanted a letter as a save they date, but now has agreed that a card works better, and I'm working on formatting the Save the Date info.

So far, I have what, where, why, and when covered.  Boss said something about RSVP info, but I don't need that, do I?  I've never gotten a save the date with instructions to save the date.  Should I put contact info in case of questions?
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: What information needs to be on a Save the Date?- work event
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
An RSVP should not be included in a Save the Date.  And yes, do include contact info.  If there is a web page people can go to for updates is nice too.

It sounds like you have the rest covered.

You'll just need to match sure to send out the actually invite or communication to everyone who received the save the date cards.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
The only thing I can think of that you may or may not need on there is a cost, if there is one. Business events are different than social so if there is a cost to attend, attendance is limited to invitees only, or it's open to anyone who drops by, something like that needs to be noted on each and every advertising of the event.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
Contact info or a website or whatever for people who have questions is good.  An RSVP makes it an invitation and not a Save the Date and IMO should be left off - its way to early to ask people to formally commit, a lot can happen in 6 months!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
I too would definitely say - don't include anything referring to RSVP.

If you do, you'll find that some people will indeed reply as though it was an invitation - and then, in a few months when the invitations do go out, they won't reply again, because they'll figure that they've already done so.  That could really mess with your numbers.

If there's a good website for the theatre, it might be an idea to include that, along with any contact info if anyone has questions.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
I agree, no RSVP on the STD card and especially agree with including contact info.

Wondering about the invitees . . .

1. Is this a general mailing list where you're basically advertising your Opening Night with a gala or some such thing where any and all are welcome to attend?

2. Or is it a closer-knit group/private party/black-tie and all that (donators/patrons, etc.) type of thing?

If it's #1 -- I don't see anything wrong with sending out bi-monthly or even monthly STD notices, with an update included.  Something like "We're getting closer to our opening and we really want YOU! to attend!" More on the advertising/marketing side. You want the invitees to keep you in mind with something that might grow their interest as time goes on.

If it's #2 -- a few months after the first STD goes out, I think that a letter (like your boss suggested) would be a nice follow-up. Something like "Thank you for your support thus far. We are looking forward to our opening, explain wonderful! progress! and WOW! we're so excited and couldn't have accomplished this without your help! Please watch your mail for your invitation which will include exact details. Looking forward to seeing you at our opening!"

Either way, this sounds like more of a business deal than a personal wedding type of thing. With a wedding, a STD can be sent out 6 months in advance and the relatives/friends who received the STD would be excited and make plans. With a business? If I were in group 1? I'd probably toss the first STD and only get interested if I was reminded.

Then, there's #3 -- if the Boss is inviting just family and friends? I would follow wedding STD protocol.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
If it's a save the date then that means a formal invitation is to follow, so I would clarify with boss that this is his intention.   It sounds to me as though he may be confused, because why would you need them to RSVP to the save the date if there's an invitation coming too?   

Really a save the date should be nice and simple - it's just about letting people know that X event will be on X date, so keep it free!   Anything more than that can start to get confusing.  I agree with PP if there's a website or similar to direct them to on the save the date that can be great, that way you can keep people updated with more progress as it happens.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
Do you have a name for the big event yet?  "Serenade under the stars!" "Opening night at TheatreName!"It's good to start branding it now to get it in people's minds.  Definitely the date and time. 

Since there will be a big formal shindig, you may want to create a website or at least an email link on an existing website for people to sign up for more information.  This will help you create a mailing list of interested people by using passive marketing until it's time for the actual invites to go out.

I know that a lot of people will go online and do a google/bing/whatever search to find more info.  If you have the site up and running before the STD's go out, you'll be that much further ahead of the game.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:48:54 AM »
we prepared STD for our organizations *big event* - a biennial conference, that takes place in a different country every two years. Each conference has a "name" (theme)

we put in:

Name/theme of event
dates/Time/place
short (one sentence) invitation "Join us as we gather to celebrate etc"

to pre-register, ensure the early bird rates, or for more information, please contact info@Organization.com

For a taste of what we're all about, please click here for a short video or here to view our photo gallery of past events.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Syfygeek

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
THANK YOU!  Oops, didn't mean to shout, but using all the suggestions, and keeping calm when dealing with my boss, I now have a Save the Date that meets with everyone's approval!

Now, who wants to volunteer to hand address 300 envelopes?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
Oh my...can you not print them off in a pretty font?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »
THANK YOU!  Oops, didn't mean to shout, but using all the suggestions, and keeping calm when dealing with my boss, I now have a Save the Date that meets with everyone's approval!

Now, who wants to volunteer to hand address 300 envelopes?

LOL! My retiredBoss used to do a whole lot of calligraphy-style addressing envelopes for UberBoss's parties . . . he's always looking for extra income.  ;D

Syfygeek

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »
Oh my...can you not print them off in a pretty font?

Oh no, we have to hand address.  And all these are potential donors, so it's not so bad.