Author Topic: A boy whose good deed has stuck with me  (Read 1700 times)

kateqd

A boy whose good deed has stuck with me
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:27:30 PM »
One random day I was at my mothership (Target) with my daughter. She was still a baby, but old enough where she sat in her car seat and not the infant carrier and I had had enough practice with her that getting in and out of the car was seamless for me. Anyway, this day I didnt need much so I forewent the cart and just took my stroller in. On the way out I dont know what I was thinking, but I totally went against my routine and decided to take the baby out of the stroller and put the stroller away while I was holding her. Needless to say I was struggling. All of a sudden a young boy, maybe 17 came up and grabbed the stroller, folded it up and put it in my trunk for me. All the while I protested, not wanting to be "weak" and admit that at that point I didnt have myself "together". He just looked at me and smiled. I said thank you and he said the normal teenage boy "no problem" complete with the shoulder shrug. My daughter is 5 now, but everytime I go into that parking lot I think about that boy and how unexpected he was. With teenagers I always expect them to be self-absorbed and kind of mean, but this boy was the total opposite. I hope good things befell him that day for helping out a total stranger. The worst part was, I bet he never told his mother what he did that day robbing her of the pride of having raised a really genuinely nice kid.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
Re: A boy whose good deed has stuck with me
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
One random day I was at my mothership (Target) with my daughter. She was still a baby, but old enough where she sat in her car seat and not the infant carrier and I had had enough practice with her that getting in and out of the car was seamless for me. Anyway, this day I didnt need much so I forewent the cart and just took my stroller in. On the way out I dont know what I was thinking, but I totally went against my routine and decided to take the baby out of the stroller and put the stroller away while I was holding her. Needless to say I was struggling. All of a sudden a young boy, maybe 17 came up and grabbed the stroller, folded it up and put it in my trunk for me. All the while I protested, not wanting to be "weak" and admit that at that point I didnt have myself "together". He just looked at me and smiled. I said thank you and he said the normal teenage boy "no problem" complete with the shoulder shrug. My daughter is 5 now, but everytime I go into that parking lot I think about that boy and how unexpected he was. With teenagers I always expect them to be self-absorbed and kind of mean, but this boy was the total opposite. I hope good things befell him that day for helping out a total stranger. The worst part was, I bet he never told his mother what he did that day robbing her of the pride of having raised a really genuinely nice kid.

That made me cry.  :)  In a good way!!  I'm the mother of a goth teenager.  He's "allowed" to dress how he likes as long as he's respectful.  I bet that young man's mother is very proud of him.. after all, he learned those manners from someone!
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

Chirple

Re: A boy whose good deed has stuck with me
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:27:56 AM »
Mom knows....she does... in her heart.