Author Topic: S/O T-giving planning - what do you eat, and where do you live, and...  (Read 6811 times)

White Lotus

Re: S/O T-giving planning - what do you eat, and where do you live, and...
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
DH's family does a pretty traditional US TG, and that us where we go as we live in the same city.  My family doesn't do American food at home.  DH's family's traditional sides, thank goodness, are traditionally vegetarian, so we don't have to worry about this.

They always do a turkey with stuffing and turkey gravy.
We bring a vegetarian (vegan if you use oil, not butter) dressing casserole, and have two flavors -- one cornbread and one wheat bread, with chestnuts, mushrooms, nuts and dried fruit in each varying by whim -- to choose from.  We might bring either or any variation.  We include some heavily seasoned veg sausage links, chopped.  Not too many; they aren't very good alone, but fine as an ingredient, make the dish feel like an entree, and add protein. We add homemade and very tasty veg gravy, and lots of it because it goes fast.
Fresh cranberry/orange relish (set in stone)
Mashed, not whipped, white potatoes (flavors can vary)
Maple sweet potatoes (marshmallows are not veg, but if you have to have them, substitute marshmallow fluff, which is.  We're maple all the way, no marshmallows, ever.  Set in stone.)
Pearl onions in cheese sauce (ditto)
Green beans almandine (ditto)
Pumpkin or butternut squash soup
Succotash
My husband's famous pickles (his hobby, and they are good) as relishes/snacks/additional vegetable  (ditto)
Nuts
My Special Pumpkin Pie (nobody knows it is the vegan version made with silken tofu unless you tell them; they just like it a lot) with a pecan praline topping
Mince (not mincemeat) and/or apple pie, or maybe pecan, or pear tart, depending on what people feel like, often with whipped or ice cream
Tangerines and popcorn in case more snacks are wanted

We do a rerun for Solstice, except the dressing casserole, stuffed into a pumpkin for carving and presentation purposes, is the centerpiece, and is usually the kind we didn't do for TG. We can make all of the above vegan, too, though figuring the onions out gave us some tense moments.  Sometimes we go hog wild and do roasted winter vegetables (potatoes, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, broccoli, but heavy on the potatoes) instead of mashed, and we have even been known to serve maple grilled winter squash and sweet potatoes rather than the soup and casserole versions.  Since it is a rerun, as we don't do Christmas and do New Year's with my family, nobody minds the variations.  Maybe I will try those sautéed onions this year -- sounds delightful.

Yum!