Author Topic: Skyline Chili? Help me Ohio  (Read 1260 times)

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Skyline Chili? Help me Ohio
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
It's my understanding that this is an Ohio thing.  BF raves about it, and makes something he calls Skyline Chili, but I'm wondering if there's a more official/authentic recipe out there?

wheeitsme

Re: Skyline Chili? Help me Ohio
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 03:39:16 PM »
Skyline Chili is a chain of chili restaurants based in Cincinnati, Ohio.

It is considered a "Cincinnati-style chili"   Cincinnati-style chili is usually made with ground meat, and no beans, and contains cinnamon and oftentimes chocolate.  Skyline chili is usually served either as 3, 4, or 5 way chili:

3-Way Chili: Spaghetti, covered with chili and topped with a mound of shredded cheddar cheese.
4-Way Chili: A 3-Way with diced onions or red beans.
5-Way Chili: A 3-Way with diced onions and red beans.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43:39 PM »
Thank you!

Then I guess he's basically been making the 3 way chili, just without cinammon.  I know he actually had it in Ohio a couple times as a child and I assume he's remembering the name of the restaurant.  It's the only thing he makes that doesn't come out of a box, I was hoping to encourage him to make it more often.  But he says it doesn't taste quite the same.........

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
This is so funny because I'm orginally a Cinci girl and I now live in The Netherlands. My father sent us some Skyline for Xmas and DF got hooked. Now, we actually have it shipped overseas so that we can enjoy it.

http://www.cincinnatifavorites.com/skylinechili.php

You really want to impress him? Get that Crave kit. True Skyline NEEDS the Skyline hot sauce and oyster crackers. It's awesome, even out of the can. Or, if you just search "cincinnati chili" on Amazon.com, there's a company that sells packets of seasoning. We switched to taht because the cans are so heavy to ship overseas and actually made it for the first time the other night. The Skyline from the can is better, but this is a decent substitute.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 06:08:32 PM »
jais-

Skyline has a chain of chili parlors all across the area here. If you want some of the Skyline seasoning packets IM me and I'll mail you some. They're easy and have exact directions on them. You can buy everything else near home and save money.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Casey

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
Skyline... It's not my favorite, but to each their own. As to why the chocolate, it's an acidity thing. Adding chocolate cuts some of the acid from the tomatoes and any hot sauce, so there's a smaller chance of stomach upset. I've added a little to my chili for years, as has my dad.