Author Topic: Oysters  (Read 736 times)

shadowfox79

Oysters
« on: August 11, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
Does anyone have any good recipes involving oysters? I've offered to cook my mother a birthday meal and she loves them, but I've never had them any way other than on ice.

Thanks.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
Re: Oysters
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 11:16:42 AM »
Does anyone have any good recipes involving oysters? I've offered to cook my mother a birthday meal and she loves them, but I've never had them any way other than on ice.

Thanks.

Buffalo Oysters - from Southern Living

Ingredients

2 pints fresh Select oysters, drained
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup hot sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Ranch dressing
Celery sticks

Directions

Combine oysters and buttermilk in a large shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cover or seal and chill at least 2 hours.

Drain oysters well.

Combine flour and the next 8 ingredients. Dredge oysters in flour mixture, shaking off excess.

Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.

Fry oysters, in batches, 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Stir together melted butter, hot sauce, and lemon juice. Pour butter mixture evenly over hot fried oysters. Serve oysters with Ranch dressing and celery sticks on the side.

Yield - Makes 4 to 6 servings

Fried Oysters (bread crumb batter) - courtesy Diana Rattray

Ingredients

24 large oysters, shucked
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
dash ground cayenne pepper, optional
2 tablespoons cold water
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs

Directions

Drain oysters. Beat eggs with salt and pepper and cayenne. Whisk in water. Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip oysters, one at a time, into the egg mixture then into the bread crumbs. Let rest for 5 minutes before frying. Fry in hot deep fat at about 375° until golden brown.

Serve immediately with cocktail sauce or tartar sauce, or use in sandwiches.

Recipe for fried oysters serves 4.

Fried Oysters (cornmeal batter) - courtesy Diana Rattray

Ingredients

24 to 36 oysters, raw
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cornmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons flour

Directions

Drain oysters. In a bowl, beat eggs; add drained oysters and let stand for 10 minutes. Mix cornmeal, sugar, salt, pepper and flour. Dip oysters in cornmeal mixture and fry in batches in deep hot oil or shortening — at about 370° — until golden brown.

Drain on paper towels. Serves 4 to 6.

Oysters Savannah - courtesy of The Pirates’ House in Savannah, Georgia

Ingredients

Topping
1 bell pepper
2 ribs celery
1/2 pound raw bacon
1 (2 oz.) jar pimientos
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon Tabasco
Chop everything fine in a food processor. Process until topping is well-blended and holds together.

2 dozen shell oysters or 1 pint oysters, drained
Rock salt

Directions

Preheat oven to broil. Lay oysters on the half shell on a bed of rock salt on a metal baking dish with sides. Cover each oyster with 1 tablespoon topping. Or place several oysters in individual scallop shells or metal crab shells. Spread a layer of topping over oysters and place on rock salt. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until topping is browned and bubbling, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain off any grease. Serve immediately. Note: Besides natural oyster shells, metal crab shells work best. The topping sits above the edge of the shell and as it cooks, the accumulated fat runs off into the rock salt. If the sides of the baking dish are too high, the grease pools on top of the oysters, and the topping will not get crisp.

Oyster Stew

Ingredients

2 pints oyster
1/2 gallon whole milk
4 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Oyster stew may be pure & simple, or rich, hearty & spicy. The main factor is DO NOT BOIL MILK & DON’T OVERCOOK OYSTERS.

Bring oysters to a boil in a sauce pan. Add milk and butter or Margarine. Salt and pepper to taste and boil hard for about 5 minutes.

Serve hot with oyster crackers.

Diane Rattray has a ton of oyster recipes - here's a link to the Oysters Rockefeller http://southernfood.about.com/od/oysterrecipes/r/bl00528g.htm, and if you look at the bottom there's even more oyster recipes!

shadowfox79

Re: Oysters
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »
Oh, fantastic! Thank you!