Author Topic: Self Centered in the workplace...  (Read 9721 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Self Centered in the workplace...
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
I'm reading 'sipping water' as shorthand for 'anything other than a large fountain drink being slurped noisily'...like water, coffee, tea, juice, whatever can be consumed quietly.

I don't know, I would have expected the OP to say something like "the others are drinking their beverages quietly," if that were the case.

If the company is really so uptight that people believe that a cup of coffee in a meeting is offensive, perhaps the Annoying Coworker is one of those people who feel that the greatest thrill in life is pushing boundaries. Maybe she once felt frowned upon for nibbling on a cookie during a meeting, and is thinking "You don't like *that*? Get a load of THIS, baby!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

weeblewobble

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »
Yes, and unfortunately, it was the guy that ran the company. Anything you had going in your life, whether it was pregnancy, death of a relative, weddings, etc., was secondary to whatever he needed RIGHT.THAT.SECOND.  It was common knowledge that if you were on maternity leave or  your honeymoon, you were to keep your phone on at all times, in case he needed something.  My coworkers learned to take their vacations out of state to avoid being called in on their days off. I still remember the time boss had a snit in the middle of the office, because a coworker (who was attending the funeral for his grandfather across town) wouldn't pick up his cell phone. 

My solution was to quit, which may not be the route you wanted to follow.

weeblewobble

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Actually, I understand not wanting people to eat during meetings.  The smacking, clinking, rustling and general noise of eating, combined with food smells and having to deal with potential stains, spills and mess- none of that adds up to productive work time.

That said, the hungry coworker should be allowed to eat right before or after the meeting if it is scheduled during her lunch break.

Lynda_34

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
acts like a 30 year old toddler, complete with temper tantrums, tears and the works.

If she pulls that on you, you might try "Oh dear. I'll give you some time to compose yourself. Come find me once you have done that." And then leave the area. If you can't leave, then direct her to somewhere private or back to her desk.

I'm working with a special snowflake, I'm one of her supervisors and if she starts crying and telling me how badly she wants to have this career I'm not sure what I"m going to do.  She also plays the single parent card and she lives with the father of her child.  They are not married.  But let me tell you her behavior is getting tedious.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
I find eating during meetings to be incredibly distracting and unprofessional.  If it's a working lunch, and everyone is eating, that's one thing, but even then, I find the meetings to be overall, not nearly as productive.

I have to attend lunchtime meetings all the time.  Sometimes, that's just the only time that everyone can get together.  I manage my schedule as best as I can.  Some days I have so much going on, that I don't have 30 minutes out of a meeting to eat.  And while there are definitely times when things are sprung on me throughout the day, for the most part, I know when meeting will occur ahead of time and can plan for them.  If they occur during a time where I might be hungy, then I make sure to arrange to have lunch earlier, or to have a snack just before so that it will hold me over until I can eat afterwards.  I have snacks in my office as an emergency stash for the days where everything goes haywire and unplanned meetings occur.

All this to say, is that the coworker is an adult and she shouldn't expect that she can eat her lunch wherever she pleases simply because she's hungry.  Unless she has a medical condition that requires her to eat at certain times of the day and she can't avoid it, she has no real excuse to bring lunch to a 1pm meeting. Bringing a loud, smelly lunch there is just that much worse.  If she really has an issue where she isn't getting breaks during the day to eat, she needs to bring that up to her supervisor and they need to take care of it.  It seems that everyone else is able to manage their workload, so I don't see it as a company culture thing.

Finally, my DD is an only child and she's 3.  She doesn't act like the OP described.

If confronting the coworker about eating during meetings doesn't work, then I'd suggest talking to your (OP's) direct supervisor and focusing on the distraction part.  Ask him/her if there is any company policy about eating in meetings and if not, perhaps someone can at least suggest she eat something quieter and less smelly.

doodlemor

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
I worked with a very self centered person in the past, snugasabug, and can commiserate with you. 

She tended to sit and do paperwork during meetings as a bit of a power play, I think.  I believe that she did this to show our supervisor that she didn't feel that the meetings were important, or that the supervisor's directives were important. 

This is possible, but I will admit I often use meetings to catch up on paperwork because it is literally not possible to do my job in the hours I'm alloted. So, I can either use that time to multitask, or not attend many meetings. I'm saying this just as a caution that not everyone is doing it to be "special".

I think in this case, either her supervisor can choose to handle it, or you can accept that she's rude and unlikely to change.

I agree that not everyone who does paperwork during a meeting is being a SS.  I have caught up on stuff at meetings myself. 

I'm not able to give sufficient information publicly to describe the whole situation.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »
I'd be sorely tempted to start helping myself to McSpecialPants' french fries. "Well, you brought them to the meeting, I thought they were for everybody!"  >:D

(Okay, no, I really wouldn't do this, but I would be very tempted, especially as I love McDonald's french fries.)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.