News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 16, 2017, 05:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 93532 times)

PurpleFrog

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
Re: the homecoming dance request for black and white colors-

An announcement of the dress-up days is given two weeks in advance (think nerd day, school colors day, hero day, Disney day, crazy hat day, etc...) Most kids raid their parents' closet, and get creative.  This is not a rent costume thing, but just dress down fun since the kids wear assigned uniforms daily.

This year, the student council decided to add a color theme to the dance.  Some parents are saying, "they have to wear a uniform to school, this dance is a rare opportunity to show some personality.  And now we are told black and white?"

Plus, white after labor day?   :o   ;)

IF I can find a dress on sale, maybe.  But we bought two dresses (one in springtime with a friend out of town, and one as an impulse sale for her b-day with her grandma) knowing that school and holiday dances/parties were coming up, and both dresses were uber cute.  Neither are black or white. 

DS says he is going to get arm tat temporary sleeves and go goth.  All black.   >:D >:D

He could always wear this.  >:D >:D
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007UOPTLY/ref=aw_d_iv_kids?is=l

I love you, but if Zombies are chasing us I'm tripping you up.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
gold & platinum hand quilting needles that won't tarnish or etch from the acids of your skin - I am not kidding

For some of us, these kinds of needles really are a necessity.  My hands perspire a fair amount, especially when doing needlework (where the hand is often semi-closed, which can make the problem worse).  This causes a reaction with steel needles, leaving tarnish and even corrosion, which could ruin the fabric.  Many years ago, my mother, who was part owner of a needlepoint shop, recommended the gold needles, and I've used them ever since.

I mentioned them because I had to find them when doing counted cross stitch

Now I know what those are for, I will be getting some before my next cross stitch project! I ended up etching three needles over the course of the last project...

Luci

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
gold & platinum hand quilting needles that won't tarnish or etch from the acids of your skin - I am not kidding

For some of us, these kinds of needles really are a necessity.  My hands perspire a fair amount, especially when doing needlework (where the hand is often semi-closed, which can make the problem worse).  This causes a reaction with steel needles, leaving tarnish and even corrosion, which could ruin the fabric.  Many years ago, my mother, who was part owner of a needlepoint shop, recommended the gold needles, and I've used them ever since.

I mentioned them because I had to find them when doing counted cross stitch

Now I know what those are for, I will be getting some before my next cross stitch project! I ended up etching three needles over the course of the last project...

I used to do a lot of needlecrafts - quilting, crochet, cross stitch, needlepoint.

If your hands get so sweaty/oily, how do you keep the fabric/yarn/floss clean while working with it?

I've had to stop a few times when my hands just got icky. (Stopped forever because of arthritis, which makes me pretty clumsy.)

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
How thick are the embroidery needles? Would sterling silver work? Silver shouldn't etch either but it may be too soft for needles.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »
Some quilting & embroidery needles can be about as thick as coarse horsehair & shorter than one of the joints in your finger - others can be the size of a fishbone & longer than a finger - depends on the thread being used to do the stitching.  Doll needles used for sculpting the body to shape can be longer than the palm of your hand - depends on the size of the doll.

I got "free" gold plated needles the first time in a magazine for counted cross stitch - and it worked so well that I bought several more of them over the years, until I got pg & found that embroidery work and small babies & toddlers didn't mix well, for me.  Now that he's older, my vision & my wrists aren't what they used to be.......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Giggity

« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2012, 04:14:48 PM »
Aaaaah, the gold needles! So much love for those.
Words mean things.

VorFemme

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
Aaaaah, the gold needles! So much love for those.

I went looking for magazines in the rack to buy with the gold needles - for some reason, many of them had been opened & the little needle packet was missing.

Snarky & Evil love gold plated needles almost as much as they like Bunny FooFoos with dark chocolate bunnies (which is a great deal of *like*, if you know those two).  They were most unhappy at having to go buy just gold plated needles without a free magazine full of patterns & projects to go with it.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
VorFemme, that stinks.  I think the people who did that deserve to be in the Special Snowflakes thread!

VorFemme

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »
VorFemme, that stinks.  I think the people who did that deserve to be in the Special Snowflakes thread!

It wasn't recent (did I mention getting older stinks?  wrists & vision aren't what they used to be 20 plus years ago when I did counted cross stitch with one strand of floss on 22-count fabric to make a doll sized "quilt" for Ambrosia Hino's doll house.  I still have the quilt, rug, & other cross stitched bits - the house got given away in a military move (both the Barbie scale one and the smaller scale one a few years later - no ROOM at the new house for the old toys sometimes).  Not to mention that teenagers aren't as into doll houses as younger kids or Mom & Grandma!  The kids play with them and we older people "play" by making new stuff to go into the doll house.....some of which is too delicate for the kid to play with so it gets "saved" for when they are older.....but I digress.

Snarky and Evil had plenty to say about the really special snowflakes who wanted gold plated needles but didn't BUY the magazines at the time.  Irate did not begin to cover their emotional state.

Forget the Maleficent costume - Evil turned into the dragon at that point & was ready to breath flame......

rain

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »
can we get back on topic please (but if someone wants to start a thread about quilting & how to start I'd be interested)
In search of a tag line

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »

Is that quilt show an annual thing? Because I think I may have just planned next year's vacation!

Yes, it's annual - and "around the end of October" - but you might want to check out the dates for next year before booking a hotel, as the George R. Brown Convention Center's being booked has caused it to run a week earlier or later, at times.

http://quilts.com/home/index.php

++++++++++++

The comment about the people & their water bills reminds me of the people calling about car insurance claims.....there was the guy who commented "we should have solved this by now" when he'd never reported the accident - even when telling us that he was being taken to court over it.  He also forgot to tell us what county in that state or what the court date was - apparently our psychic powers just were supposed to solve that, too.

Turned out that he bought his policy from us AFTER the accident he was being taken to court over, so the lawyer showed up to tell the judge (in proper legalese) that our insurance company was not involved as the event had happened before we had a contract with the defendant. 

Apparently HE didn't think it was absurd for us to resolve a claim for an accident that was never reported and had happened a couple of months before he bought a policy with our insurance company - but we did

I guess we had a GOOD lawyer in that area, because he somehow managed to track down which courtroom to be in on the right day & time...

I worked for an insurance company when I was younger. We once had an insured call the office from the scene of an accident and demand someone come down there right that moment to give him a check. ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Pippen

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

Is that quilt show an annual thing? Because I think I may have just planned next year's vacation!

Yes, it's annual - and "around the end of October" - but you might want to check out the dates for next year before booking a hotel, as the George R. Brown Convention Center's being booked has caused it to run a week earlier or later, at times.

http://quilts.com/home/index.php

++++++++++++

The comment about the people & their water bills reminds me of the people calling about car insurance claims.....there was the guy who commented "we should have solved this by now" when he'd never reported the accident - even when telling us that he was being taken to court over it.  He also forgot to tell us what county in that state or what the court date was - apparently our psychic powers just were supposed to solve that, too.

Turned out that he bought his policy from us AFTER the accident he was being taken to court over, so the lawyer showed up to tell the judge (in proper legalese) that our insurance company was not involved as the event had happened before we had a contract with the defendant. 

Apparently HE didn't think it was absurd for us to resolve a claim for an accident that was never reported and had happened a couple of months before he bought a policy with our insurance company - but we did

I guess we had a GOOD lawyer in that area, because he somehow managed to track down which courtroom to be in on the right day & time...

I worked for an insurance company when I was younger. We once had an insured call the office from the scene of an accident and demand someone come down there right that moment to give him a check. ::)

My friend had her car vandalised and we caught the guys doing it and they were arrested. Try as I might I could not explain the concept of an excess to her. She had chosen to have a $500 excess and pay cheaper insurance and was most aggrieved she had to pay for the first $500. She even went to the police station expecting them to pay her back for it.

Clareish

« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
I was at a large theme park a couple of weeks ago, with my nephew, and we were just playing in a playground area. I had been playing with my smartphone, and was just putting it away, when an adult woman comes up to me, with her arm outstretched towards my phone, and says "I just need to make a call."

Sure, why not have a stranger take my new phone worth a few hundred dollars?

I managed to put it back in my pocket, and she looked incredulous as I said "No, I'm sorry, I don't lend out my phone, but I'm sure there is public phones around here somewhere." I then turned away.

Honestly, I can understand it being an emergency or something, but she acted like it was the most natural thing in the world that she would just take my phone. No "could you call a taxi for me?" or anything of that nature.

She didn't even say please.

VorFemme

« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
Counted cross stitch SS - I was sitting someplace with a basket of supplies, stitching away (I am a Gemini - I don't make up my mind what I want to stitch, knit, read, or watch tv until the last minute and have been known to change my mind while doing it - I had a spare project or three with me).  Someone came up to me and wanted to go poking through my basket (I'd made an organizer liner & a quilted "lid" to give people the idea that it was NOT open access to the general public) for "something to do".

I sat on Snarky and told them that I didn't have any beginner's projects with me to teach them how to do the stitching....and as the "other" project that I would admit to having with me was a Christmas present for a relative, I didn't want anyone else "helping me" who wasn't a close relative of the intended recipient.  They only got a little huffy - they got called for "their turn" with whatever was going on - no time to get more than a little huffy.

And I started sliding the basket under my chair, if there was space for it to fit - while working on a NEW project - a "portfolio" type of tote with room for several compact projects that was a lot more obviously "mine".  It also fit between my hip and the side of the chair where I was sitting (in a doctor's office or wherever) - keeping other people out of it was easier.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:48 AM »
Quote tree snipped!  I hope I snipped it right...

I had an uncle who, as a student, was forever in trouble, and constantly at war with his principal. In one instance, the principal made a rule that if any male student wore pants that had belt loops on them, he had to wear a belt. My uncle, who hated wearing a belt, cut the loops off his jeans.

I did that to one pair of slacks I had for work.  First, where I was working, a belt would often snag on a piece of equipment when I had to lean over it - which was daily.  I actually pulled the equipment off the track/support/stand/whatever a bit one day trying to escape.  Most of my other pants were designed without belt loops.  Second, that particular pair of pants had evidently come with a very narrow belt, which had gone away by the time I found the pants on the clearance rack, and I didn't own any belts narrow enough to fit through the loops - I could barely fit a finger through, and I have tiny delicate hands.  A minute with a pair of scissors solved the problem quite nicely :)

I had a boss make a fairly absurd request.  I was the office assistant at a sleep apnea testing lab, and not getting paid very much - I wasn't even full time, and my hours were at constant risk for getting cut.  During the three hours between when the office staff left for the day and  the technicians came in at night, and on weekend days, the phones were forwarded to my boss so he could deal with last-minute cancellations.  One weekend I ended up getting calls from patients all weekend, because the boss and my direct supervisor were both out of town (and expecting to be out of cellphone service).  I was not pleased.  My boss thought it was a great idea for me to be the one to forward the office phones to my cellphone when no one was in the office from then on.  I told him it was a fabulous idea if he wanted to start paying for my cellphone plan and start paying me time and a half when I was "on call."  He back-pedaled after that.  An employee that got hired in another department shortly before my time with the miserable company ended was a bit puzzled when I was so adamant that my personal property not be used for any work-related uses - no, I wasn't going to call patients on my personal cellphone when our office phones were experiencing an outage, because the last time I did that, they would call me on my cellphone instead of calling the office number - at all hours of the day and over the weekend.  She kind of got it when she was complaining about the fact that the boss was backpedaling on getting her a company car and expecting her to drive her own vehicle to market the company, while only compensating her for gas and not mileage.

Then there was the holiday issue.  The stated winter holiday schedule was we got Christmas and New Year's Day off - and if those happened to fall on a weekend, we got the following Monday off as well.  Well, New Year's Day fell on Sunday.  I went to stay with my parents for the day and I wasn't planning on coming back until late the following evening.  My boss called me at 9 PM New Year's Day and demanded that I be in the following morning at the usual time - he'd decided to open the office.  I told him that wouldn't be possible, although I agreed to come in the afternoon for a few hours.  Of course, when my paycheck came around, that meant that I got paid for a half day of work instead of a full day of holiday pay...I was pretty angry.

He was a very poor boss for many reasons - those were just some of the most absurd requests.