Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 41824 times)

Zen

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
My invisible car was a Chevy. It was killed one winter night when it was t-boned by a guy who insisted that he shouldn't be cited by the cops for running the red, or for driving without insurance "because he didn't see my car". Which apparently made him running the red and getting into an accident my fault.  ::)

nuit93

« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
Co-irker has upped the entertainment factor today by talking to his auto insurance company because, allegedly, he backed into someone in a parking lot, but it was totally the other drivers fault because he carefully looked behind him both directions and no one was there, but then when he backed out he hit her... broadside in the passenger door...and her car is red so he would have totally seen her if she had been there when he looked. Not really a request or demand unless you count he is demanding his insurance co believes his version. I wish my car came with a cloaking device. I always wonder who manufactures these cars that "come out of nowhere."

If you work in Seattle, I might know who your CW hit...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #227 on: October 17, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
I was a witness for a guy who made a left turn into the left lane (I was right behind him) only to have someone make a right turn out of a parking lot into the right lane (more or less next to him) and then try to get into the left lane THROUGH his big pickup (Ute, to those in Oz) to get into the left turn lane to go into another parking lot barely a half block down the road (and the car more or less bounced off the side of the pick up twice because the 70+ year old driver insisted that the pickup sped up and "came out of nowhere").

I talked to the police officer AFTER he took the accident report from the other two - and I got a phone call from the pickup driver - the elderly gentleman got the ticket (and he was the one trying to cross a five lane street ALMOST at a diagonal to get from parking lot A to parking lot B in the shortest amount of space & time).  So - the correct person got cited - based on what I saw (and I was a trained insurance adjuster, at the time...well, in training, anyway)......
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kkl123

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:45 AM »
Friend is a computer geek for a bi-coastal company; boss is an engineer (???).  Boss decreed that all of certain computer stuff be handled by computers on the other coast; friend pointed out that the lag time for this would basically shut down research on this coast -- electrons move at the speed of light, but even that's sluggish over large distances.  Boss's solution?  Friend should build a booster machine to speed up the speed of light.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
Friend is a computer geek for a bi-coastal company; boss is an engineer (???).  Boss decreed that all of certain computer stuff be handled by computers on the other coast; friend pointed out that the lag time for this would basically shut down research on this coast -- electrons move at the speed of light, but even that's sluggish over large distances.  Boss's solution?  Friend should build a booster machine to speed up the speed of light.

Yes, I get that Boss's suggestion is beyond absurd, but that's hurting my brain.  The speed of light is something like 186,282 miles a second and it's a constant - it can't be sluggish or faster: it just *is* - in a vacuum, at least.  What's the coast to coast distance in the US?  2,000 miles? 3,000?  There is no lag time.  In light speed times, there is no distance to lag over, it's so infinitesimally small.  Whatever IT network bottleneck is causing the lag, I'm having difficulty seeing that it's so monumental that it can affect light speed.

I must be missing something here.   It's a long time since I studied science...

Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #230 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:03 AM »
There is a noticeable delay, though, depending on how much data you're sending and how far it has to go.  People who play multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft are familiar with "ping times" - how long it takes a piece of data to get from your computer to the server and back.  A good connection with a nearby server might be under ten milliseconds, while a connection across the ocean may be a few thousand.  In gaming, that makes the difference between being able to duck and literally not being able to see the giant fireball until it's too late because you computer didn't know it was there yet  :-\  If the data being sent was particularly complex, and/or there was a lot of back-and-forth, the difference wiuld be noticeable.

(The culprit isn't the speed of light - it's the patchy nature of the internet.  Fiberoptic lines do run at the speed of light, but fiberoptic cable is far from universal!)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:57 AM »
There is a noticeable delay, though, depending on how much data you're sending and how far it has to go.  People who play multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft are familiar with "ping times" - how long it takes a piece of data to get from your computer to the server and back.  A good connection with a nearby server might be under ten milliseconds, while a connection across the ocean may be a few thousand.  In gaming, that makes the difference between being able to duck and literally not being able to see the giant fireball until it's too late because you computer didn't know it was there yet  :-\  If the data being sent was particularly complex, and/or there was a lot of back-and-forth, the difference wiuld be noticeable.

(The culprit isn't the speed of light - it's the patchy nature of the internet.  Fiberoptic lines do run at the speed of light, but fiberoptic cable is far from universal!)

Yes, that was really my point.  Whatever the problem is with data transmission over the net or over closed corporate networks, the culprit isn't the speed of light which really doesn't have any sort of lag.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
Co-irker has upped the entertainment factor today by talking to his auto insurance company because, allegedly, he backed into someone in a parking lot, but it was totally the other drivers fault because he carefully looked behind him both directions and no one was there, but then when he backed out he hit her... broadside in the passenger door...and her car is red so he would have totally seen her if she had been there when he looked. Not really a request or demand unless you count he is demanding his insurance co believes his version. I wish my car came with a cloaking device. I always wonder who manufactures these cars that "come out of nowhere."

I swear he and Useless are related.  Useless is also the keeper, appointment maker, and all around boss of his entire family. I donít know how any of them can even use the bathroom alone!  One memorable incident, which I may have recounted elsewhere before, has to do with his son, who is in his second year of college, and a friendís Macbook. Son apparently spilled some liquid, most likely by accident, on a friendís Macbook. Friend takes it to the Apple store, and it will cost about $800 to fix. I donít know if he had any kind of protection plan or not, but son calls Useless and Useless gets busy trying to find a ďsolutionĒ that doesnít involve son taking any responsibility for his actions, or any money coming out of Uselessí or sonís pocket.

Useless first calls Apple CS, and I think gets nowhere.  His argument is that a. it shouldnít cost THAT much to fix a laptop. Mind you, we are in NJ and son is in MI, so he has no idea whatís wrong with it. and b. they have spent sooooo much money with Apple canít they do something or give him some kind of break. CS tells Useless he must speak directly to the store manager where the laptop was taken. Again, since Useless doesnít actually share, I only heard his side of things, but apparently the store manager, I guess after one or two go arounds with him, refused to take Uselessí calls anymore.  I canít say that I blame him.  Son caused damage to friendís laptop, he should have to pay for it. end of story.  If there was some kind of protection plan, he should pay whatever cost is involved, if not, he should pay the full cost of the repair.  Sadly, I donít know the final outcome but Iím guess since the manager wanted nothing to do with him, they didnít budge.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »
starry diadem wrote:

"Whatever the problem is with data transmission over the net or over closed corporate networks, the culprit isn't the speed of light which really doesn't have any sort of lag."

There's lag over distance even in a fully switched network.  The speed of light travel time over 3000 miles works out to about ten milliseconds, and that can turn noticeable if the data you're sending is very fragmented.  It doesn't make the boss's request any less ridiculous, but it does happen.

Virg

LazyDaisy

« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

If you work in Seattle, I might know who your CW hit...
sadly no -- Los Angeles area. Those darn invisible cars are everywhere... ::)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." ó Douglas Adams

gingerzing

« Reply #235 on: October 18, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
One of the ad agencies that we work with emailed and asked me for high res images of two pictures on one of our websites.  Unfortunately, only one had a high res image. 
Here's the kicker, the reason that I have these particular images is because this same agency sends me the images for this particular site.  And I have complained for a few years that I need high res images to get them on the site.  (Which they only send to me about 2/3 of the time)

Yes,  so not only is it their fault for me not having a high res image of the picture, but they are the ones who originally gave me the dang images to work with in the first place.   (Yeah, really not sure how that one works out)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #236 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:58 PM »
Here's my favorite.  This happened years ago, when Texas still used the TAKS test as the annual state assessment.  Students in special education often have "accomodations" during the tests for various reasons.  One accomodation, for the writing test, consists of having a teacher transcribe a student's essay (usually because of handwriting/fine motor issues).

One of my students had the "transcribe" accomodation, so I carefully read the instructions -- which directed me to transcribe the essay "without reading it."

Now it may be that others have the ability to disengage their brains so as not to process whatever text they're copying, but mine has never managed to work that way!

Kaypeep

« Reply #237 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
Our company works with an outside agency that handles creative projects for us.  They work on a daily basis with 5 of us, and outside of our normal monthly projects they often get special projects thrown at them at the last minute.  They are miracle workers handling such a workload and never missing a deadline.  They are also saints for putting up with my SS co-worker, Stan.  Stan often works from home and takes off a lot of religious holidays. So in one week he may be in on Monday, out of Tuesday, working from home on Wednesday, etc... Basically, he's all over the place.  He keeps giving explicit instructions to the agency to NOT send him ANY emails while he's out of the office.  He wants them to hold his emails and send them when he's working again.

This makes NO sense.  Not only is it unreasonable to expect them to hold emails for him when they are juggling upwards of 20 projects at a time, what difference does it make when they are sent?  If he's back in on Thursday, that's when he can reply.  Doesn't matter if it was sent Tuesday night or Thursday morning!  PLUS, why should the agency have to also track what days he's in the office or not? 

I've heard him call them to complain, and my friend who works at the agency has told me his request drives them up the wall.  I've told them to contact our director about it because he's out of line with this, PLUS he berates the rep and yells at her for sending emails when he tells them not to.  Sorry, but the request is unreasonable and there's absolutely no negative consequence, it's just his personal preference.  Let him use OUTLOOK to manage his emails, not make 4 people at the agency manage it themselves.  It's insane!!!!

Pippen

« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
I'll say! What is wrong with him? Someone needs to be sitting him down and telling him to pull his head in.

Viscountess

« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2012, 12:22:27 AM »
I had a parent completely lose it on myself and a coworker because Mandarin club was cancelled that day.  The school I work at offers Mandarin club every Monday, but it was cancelled that week because the club leader had a family emergency.  The parent demanded that we call the club leader and force him to return so his daughter could attend the club.  Club Leader was 7 hours away and tending to his mother who was just in a horrible car crash; he wanted us to somehow drag him back to lead an hour long club.  Yeah, didn't happen.  When that plan obviously failed, he said one of us should take over and run the club.  No one else on staff knew Mandarin.  His daughter knew more Mandarin than we did.  Basically, he expected us to spend 5 minutes learning an entirely new language off google translator and know enough to teach a club that has been studying said language for almost 3 months.  Needless to say, no Mandarin club that week. 
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."