Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 43359 times)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
I've never had a crazy request or demand like what other people have stated on this thread, and I'm very thankful for that.  Are these supervisors/bosses/managers crazy, dumb, a combination of both? 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
last time I checked, having a family is NOT a good excuse to do something for one employee over another.
That was the reason, many decades ago, why it was acceptable to pay a man more than a woman for exactly the same job.  He was supporting his family.  She just spent her income on fripperies like clothes and makeup and magazines. ::)  Or else she just worked to "have something to do" instead of lying on the sofa eating bon-bons and watching soap operas.  Because some man was really supporting her, you know, either her husband or her father.  Self-supporting single women were myths. ::)

My great-grandmother worked for years as a secretary after she kicked her abusive husband out (not my great-grandfather, he was deceased) and also had a farm.  I found both her and his original divorce complaints while cleaning my aunt's house and they were very interesting reading.  The date on the documents was 1939.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »
^ That stinks. Was there anyone higher up she could've gone to?

Not really.  She actually talked with a lawyer about suing for discrimination and started putting together a case, but when it came down to it she would have had to stay in that toxic environment even if they had taken her back, so she ended up dropping the suit.  The confrontational part of me wanted to see her fight the firing, but since it was really more of a "we'll let you quit" kind of thing, she wasn't even particularly assured she'd win if she took them to court  :-\

Pretty much the exact same thing just happened to a friend of mine, except instead of being in restaurants and such she spent time on the company's shop floor where work boots and such were required ... by the company...that was telling her to dress more girly ...  ???
Pretty much the same experience with a lawyer, as well.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »
One of the smarter things a town where I used to live did was institute a "no build" zone around the flight line of the local Air Force base. 

If this is the same town I'm thinking of, for the past several years the developers have been suing to open the 'no build' area for development.  The city council/mayor were seriously considering it, last I heard, and joining in the suit.

If it's Travis Air Force Base, then what you're describing doesn't surprise me in the least.  Travis is also surrounded by wetlands (Suisun Slough, for instance, home to the very rare Suisun Slough Shrew) so there are environmental concerns to be considered.   

BB-VA

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
"We get black helicopters at all hours on a fairly regular basis - we're a few miles from the base, and this particular army base is really more for research than active training, but there is some traffic.  Haiku, the sheltie in my avatar, frequently demands I let him outside to chase the big mean nasty helicopters away, even if it's 2 AM when they fly over.  As far as he's concerned, he's doing a fantastic job - no helicopters have landed in our yard yet!"

Stariblast, this made my laugh. One of my old dogs did this everytime a helicopter flew over the house, or the train went by.

I had one that wanted to chase the planes that sprayed for gypsy moths.  We had to keep him in so he wouldn't get sprayed too.

And you are right - he did a fantastic job.  Not one plane EVER landed!
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
My cousin was also told by a former boss that she (Boss) didn't like Cousin looking "old."  Cousin is in her early 50s, and had to dye her hair and dress "young," and Boss was constantly telling her that she "looked old."  For the record, Boss was in her 30s. 

Cousin doesn't work there any more because of health issues.

Kari

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Remembered more:

After leaving me and immediately taking up with another chick (hmm, nothing suspicious there!), then dumping THAT chick in order to try to get back together with me, an ex-BF asked me for the two movie tickets I had won in a contest so that he could take her out. Um, how 'bout NO?

He later demanded that we get back together because the "scrabble" with the other chick was so good, so I should feel flattered that he would give that up to get back with me. Ladies, how did I let such a gem slip through my fingers?

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
So my flatmate resigned from his part time job because apparently doing your job properly upsets other employees. This has left them completely in the poo as all their staff are dropping like flies and they are too useless to manage the situation. He has done everything he is required to with regards to working out his notice and they are fully aware his last day is today. Apparently they are snippy with him because he won't work next weekend. Even if he felt so inclined, he can't because he has his BIL's wedding to go to. The GM actually asked him to miss the wedding to "help them out".

Yeah. Right. Can't see that happening. Do people really think these requests are reasonable when they ask them?

I had something similar happen with the job I had in college. It was part-time, 4 hours a day, pretty flexible shifts. After I'd worked there a semester, it turned out that one of my classes I needed to graduate (and it was my last or second to last semester, and the class was only offered every other semester) was held during my shift. I asked my supervisor if I could possibly switch shifts, or even just on those days I had class. He agreed, and I finished registering. Good, right?

A couple weeks later I had my review. I was called out for "not being a team player" and "inflexible" in my schedule, and was asked to "consider what I wanted my future in the company to be." Um, let's see. College degree, or temporary, part-time job...that was a hard one :P
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Pippen

« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »
Man alive! You people have had some terrible bosses. How do these people function? What actually goes through their minds. Can you just imagine what it would be like to be married or related to these people.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
I just thought of another one, though not work-related.  Last September, my uncle was having an Autumn get-together, the type of thing where people bring food and so on.  I was asked to bring something, which I was fine with.  I asked what I should bring, and they said "anything is fine", so I decided to make ginger bread cookies. 

The morning of the party, my uncle called and my mom intercepted the call.  I was in the kitchen, rolling chilled ginger bread dough into balls, rolling the balls in some sugar, and putting them on a cookie sheet.  I overheard my mom on the phone, saying, "Well, she's already bringing something.  Yeah, she's making it now. *a pause, then* I'll ask her."  I looked up as my mom stuck her head in the kitchen, and she said that my uncle wanted me to bring a batch of cornbread.  That's not the absurd part; that part came when I expressed reluctance to do more work.

When I said that I was already making the cookies, and it was taking a little longer than I thought it would, I overheard my uncle saying (and he must have overheard me, because my mom hadn't relayed what I said back to him yet), "Ask her to make the cornbread, too.  We'll eat it." and eventually, "Well, I don't see why she can't if she's already baking!"

I made the cornbread to avoid a big "thing".  And maybe five pieces of it got eaten.  The rest of it, I came to learn, went stale and was tossed out for the crows.  >:(  Lesson learned.

Pippen

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »
Here are some others I have had in the past

A woman who wanted my small business to employee 14 special needs adults to pick up tonnes of walnuts and turn them into walnut oil. New govt regulations said any thing that could be classed as work needed to be paid the minimum wage and they just did it because they enjoyed it and it was a nice day out for them. Estimated cost of this madness approx $45,000. Potential to sell any walnut oil. Zero.

A girl who wrote to me wanting my business to sponsor her amateur stock car racing to the tune of $25,000. She couldn't believe this wasn't the best marketing opportunity of all times. Yeah. Pay for your own hobbies.

A customer who wanted me to buy her lounge suite. She was most upset that the second hand dealers had only offered her $300 for it when she had brought it for $12,000 10 years ago. She said she wanted at least $7000 for it and surely I must need a new lounge suite. I didn't and it sound hideous anyway. This is a small gourmet food store not an auction house.

At a charity I volunteered at a woman who would ring up on an almost daily basis wanting description of all the new items that had been donated to see if there was anything she might be interested in. She was told repeatedly she would have to actually come into the shop but she said she couldn't be bothered coming in unless she knew what was going to be there.

The crazy wife of an expat of big oil company who wanted me to arrange for British Airways to fly out, free of charge, 4 tonnes of used children clothes to orphans in Tbilisi that her women group had collected. The same woman also wanted her compost and garage shelving air freighted from the UK to Baku.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
Pippen - You run a gourmet food shop?  Why are these people making such strange requests?  (That's a rhetorical question.) 

Another one from my past:  I was sharing a house with a woman who had a little boy.  She developed bronchitis, and asked me to stay home from work and babysit her son so she could sleep.  I refused - while I did ride herd on him when I was home and I'd been doing all the housework and cooking, nevertheless I needed to keep my job, and I reminded her of this when she started complaining about how I wasn't much of a friend if I wouldn't do was she asked, etc.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
So my flatmate resigned from his part time job because apparently doing your job properly upsets other employees. This has left them completely in the poo as all their staff are dropping like flies and they are too useless to manage the situation. He has done everything he is required to with regards to working out his notice and they are fully aware his last day is today. Apparently they are snippy with him because he won't work next weekend. Even if he felt so inclined, he can't because he has his BIL's wedding to go to. The GM actually asked him to miss the wedding to "help them out".

Yeah. Right. Can't see that happening. Do people really think these requests are reasonable when they ask them?

I had something similar happen with the job I had in college. It was part-time, 4 hours a day, pretty flexible shifts. After I'd worked there a semester, it turned out that one of my classes I needed to graduate (and it was my last or second to last semester, and the class was only offered every other semester) was held during my shift. I asked my supervisor if I could possibly switch shifts, or even just on those days I had class. He agreed, and I finished registering. Good, right?

A couple weeks later I had my review. I was called out for "not being a team player" and "inflexible" in my schedule, and was asked to "consider what I wanted my future in the company to be." Um, let's see. College degree, or temporary, part-time job...that was a hard one :P

How ever could you give up such a treasure of a job?! And for something as fleeting as a degree? Shame, shame.  :P
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Pippen

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »
Pippen - You run a gourmet food shop?  Why are these people making such strange requests?  (That's a rhetorical question.) 

Another one from my past:  I was sharing a house with a woman who had a little boy.  She developed bronchitis, and asked me to stay home from work and babysit her son so she could sleep.  I refused - while I did ride herd on him when I was home and I'd been doing all the housework and cooking, nevertheless I needed to keep my job, and I reminded her of this when she started complaining about how I wasn't much of a friend if I wouldn't do was she asked, etc.

I sold it a few years back but anytime you are dealing with the public you never know what kind of crazy they can throw at you.

gingerzing

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
I had a VP who decided that our hallway should always have at least one admin assistant -of four of us -working (except for the twice yearly All Department meetings). 
Even if all the managers were out (it isn't like we could answer some of the questions) and even if all the managers were in. 
One year, I put in for vacation time of 3 days around my mom's birthday.  One other gal had two of the days off as well.  Then his admin also was going to take two days off as well as the third gal needing the Friday off for an appointment.  I was last hired so he told me that I had to cancel my trip. 

Me- No.
VP- What?
Me- No, I had it planned for over a month.  Asked permission a month ago and my mom has bought tickets.  So no.
VP - We need someone in the hallway.  You need to cancel your plans.
Me- Fine.  You talk to my mom and explain that I have to cancel from her birthday plans, then I will consider it. 

Ah, the power of "I'm Telling MOM!" works every time.