Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 41206 times)

audhs

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
A relative recently handed in his resignation at his second job.  His boss told him that they needed him and he wouldn't accept his resignation.  :o   Apparently he wasn't allowed to quit.  Didn't stop him though. ;)

Jones

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
A relative recently handed in his resignation at his second job.  His boss told him that they needed him and he wouldn't accept his resignation.  :o   Apparently he wasn't allowed to quit.  Didn't stop him though. ;)

My ex boss actually tried that. I turned in my three week notice, he tried to talk me out of it; a week later I gave my two week notice, then it was Thanksgiving break, then he took a week off. He said I had to keep working because it wasn't a "real" two week notice. Sorry, but my new job wasn't going to wait for me forever, and he was lucky I was finishing one more hellish end of month for him...

Jaelle

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
We have a issue at a local board. Fellow is going to meetings to complain about all the train noise near his house, and wants the board to do something to stop it. Of course, the trains have been going through there long before he bought the house (earlier this year, I think).

He presented the board with some possible solutions, all of which require significant spending on the part of the town, of course.

::)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
Another issue in that town:  While I could sympathize (sort of) with the woman who got highly upset when the hot air balloons went over her house while she was sunbathing in the nude, it's not that hot air balloons can really govern where they drift (and if this is wrong, feel free to correct me).  Plus, it wasn't exactly a secret that there were frequently hot air balloons in that area.  In fact, that's one of the few things I miss about living there - the frequent hot air balloons.

You can make the balloon go up and down, and that will affect which windstream you're in. So while the wind at one level is blowing east, the next level up might be northeast.  However, you don't have the fine control of a plane or helicopter.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
I was a manager in an organization where most employees were covered by a union contract. The contract allowed employees to take time off for medical care for specified family members.

One of my employees took time off when his wife had major surgery. His claim was denied by some bean counter in personnel, because the contract said that the employee was needed for "attendance upon"the family member. The wife was obviously being cared for by the hospital, so her husband's attendance was not necessary. (Never mind the part where her recovery would be enhanced by her husband's "attendance" and that her husband would be useless as an employee if he were frantic about his wife.)

I had him change the reason to "illness of wife" and thereafter cautioned staff to never mention hospitalization of family members.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
last time I checked, having a family is NOT a good excuse to do something for one employee over another.
That was the reason, many decades ago, why it was acceptable to pay a man more than a woman for exactly the same job.  He was supporting his family.  She just spent her income on fripperies like clothes and makeup and magazines. ::)  Or else she just worked to "have something to do" instead of lying on the sofa eating bon-bons and watching soap operas.  Because some man was really supporting her, you know, either her husband or her father.  Self-supporting single women were myths. ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »

The thing is, when you move next to/on top of/within a certain distance from a noise hazard, YOU KNOW IT GOING IN.  You have no call to fuss when you bought or rented knowing full well that the loud thing exists, it's ridiculous to pitch a fit after.
Several years ago, a pilot flying a small private plane going into BWI had a heart attack at the controls and died.  The plane crashed onto a house and killed a child inside. :( The neighbors all signed a petition demanding that the planes cease flying over their neighborhood because "It could happen again!  They hadn't ought to be allowed to fly planes over where people live!"  ::) Yep, another neighborhood built long after the airport went in.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
We get black helicopters at all hours on a fairly regular basis - we're a few miles from the base, and this particular army base is really more for research than active training, but there is some traffic.  Haiku, the sheltie in my avatar, frequently demands I let him outside to chase the big mean nasty helicopters away, even if it's 2 AM when they fly over.  As far as he's concerned, he's doing a fantastic job - no helicopters have landed in our yard yet!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:47 PM »

The thing is, when you move next to/on top of/within a certain distance from a noise hazard, YOU KNOW IT GOING IN.  You have no call to fuss when you bought or rented knowing full well that the loud thing exists, it's ridiculous to pitch a fit after.
Several years ago, a pilot flying a small private plane going into BWI had a heart attack at the controls and died.  The plane crashed onto a house and killed a child inside. :( The neighbors all signed a petition demanding that the planes cease flying over their neighborhood because "It could happen again!  They hadn't ought to be allowed to fly planes over where people live!"  ::) Yep, another neighborhood built long after the airport went in.

Elfmama, was that the one where the family had a large number of kids (like 9 or something?) and they got all of them out except the 9-month-old or so baby?  If so, my in-laws were friends with that family.  They told me the story once, and I tried to look up news articles but couldn't find anything on it.  I think in Linthicum or Linthicum Heights?

Bluenomi

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »

Near me a developer is trying to build a new estate. The land he wants is right under an airport flight path. The council has said no because of aircraft noise, the state government has said the same and even the airport has poined out how noisy it will be and the reason the flight path is there is because there are no houses underneath. The developer wants the flight paths changed so they go over other suburbs so they can build their development but not surprisingly that isn't happening. The matter is still in the courts but I bet if they ever build it the residents will complain about the plane noise  ::)

MaryMy

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »
I use to be a store manager for a pay day advance company. In January 2011 (I believe) most of the midwest was going to be hit with a 'huge major snow storm' Our DDO demanded we stay late the night before for a conference call. She let us know there was no excuse for being late the next day. We knew a storm was coming and we should plan to leave early from home and open our stores on time. My husband and daughter work in the automotive industry and both were told to stay home.

SO I leave my house 2 1/2 hours early for a normal 25 minute ride to work. I work near a major airport so I thought those routes would be a bit clearer. Took me an hour to get to my store only to find the parking lot was not plowed. I went to the only restaurant open (I was amazed it was open) to sit with many others who were told the HAD to be on the job and private/company lots had not be plowed. I go back by my store 30 minutes before I should be there and still not plowed. I let the DDO know. When I should be clocking in I called the DDO and let her know I could not get into the parking lot and the landlord who scheduled plowing had not yet arrived. She thought I should use my car as a plow! I asked her if she or the company would pay for towing or my deductible if damage was caused to my car. She said NO. Come to find out the company did not demand us to open on time, that DDO just wanted to impress/boost herself.

This was the same DDO who told me I wasn't allowed bereavement days when my son died.

Iris

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »

This was the same DDO who told me I wasn't allowed bereavement days when my son died.

:o Just when I think I've heard it all...  >:( :'( >:( :'(
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Zen

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:11 AM »
I've read many horrifying things on this website and others. This may be the worst thing I've read in quite a long time. My sympathies for your loss.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2012, 04:37:58 AM »
I've read many horrifying things on this website and others. This may be the worst thing I've read in quite a long time. My sympathies for your loss.

Agreed! I hope you quit after that! Or went above her and got the days off anyway.  >:( :( :'(

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MaryMy

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »

Agreed! I hope you quit after that! Or went above her and got the days off anyway.  >:( :( :'(

I went to HR and did get time off. However when I did go back I found out most of my co workers had no idea why I was gone for 3 weeks. She told the one other manager I had spoken to that if she spread the word about my son she would be fired. I worked for 3 more weeks then was on FMLA while I had knee replacement. After that I quit. I couldn't go back.