Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 44002 times)

PeterM

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2012, 02:53:34 AM »
Ah, outrageous fanfic demands...  ::)  I once got one from someone who had already asked me three times to update a story I plainly labeled as being on "semi-permanent hiatus".  I answered the first update request very politely, and ignored the other two.  I got an email from this person threatening, "Update NOW, or I'll try to have your story removed from this site!  It's not FAIR to leave readers on pins and needles! 

I once had a fanfic that stalled for several months. I had two parts done but not the last part. I got an email from what seemed like a very nice girl explaining that she really, really needed me to finish the story.  She needed it so much that she felt compelled to tell me that if I didn't finish it quickly she would be forced - forced! - to behead Mandy Sue, her cousin's beloved stuffed bunny.

Folks, I am not one to give in to threats or coercion of any sort, but lemme tell ya, that really cleared up my writer's block. Of course, now I've gone ten years without updating my last stories. I still get the occasional question about them, but no one's willing to go the extra mile to get me to actually finish them.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:31 AM »
I've gotten plenty of will you write requests.  I used to just turn them down, but now I turn them down with a nice why don't you try to write it statement.  Because truly, if its your plot idea, you likely won't love it when someone else writes it unless you communicate with them a lot on the minor plot points.  The one time I tried, I got lots of 'oh, but I wanted minor characterA to die and minor characterB and C to get together.'

Ugh. I've been asked to read and edit the stories of people I don't know but read my stories.  I told them no nicely, as often I could tell from their writing that there would be a LOT of grammar editing.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

o_gal

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:42 AM »
Don't even get me started on the random strangers who seem to think I'll just drop everything and spend hours of my free time and my materials drawing their wife/husband/dog/cat/monkey/houseplant for free just because they're so gosh-darn special.

If you want a drawing from me, my minimum price is $200.00. And no, I will not make an exception for you.

Missing Missy - http://www.27bslash6.com/missy.html

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2012, 08:33:49 AM »
Man alive! You people have had some terrible bosses. How do these people function? What actually goes through their minds. Can you just imagine what it would be like to be married or related to these people.

Yep. They're probably like that towards their family members, too. My Dad would threaten to drop me from the health or car insurance if I didn't do whatever unreasonable thing it was he wanted done. When I got old enough to pay for those things myself and have my own policies, he tried to get me fired from my job if I didn't do what he wanted (we worked for the same university, but in totally different departments. Needless to say he did not succeed).

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
last time I checked, having a family is NOT a good excuse to do something for one employee over another.
That was the reason, many decades ago, why it was acceptable to pay a man more than a woman for exactly the same job.  He was supporting his family.  She just spent her income on fripperies like clothes and makeup and magazines. ::)  Or else she just worked to "have something to do" instead of lying on the sofa eating bon-bons and watching soap operas.  Because some man was really supporting her, you know, either her husband or her father.  Self-supporting single women were myths. ::)

Back in 2007 my dad and I took a tour of Guatemala and Copan, Honduras. We were talking with our tour guide one day and she said in Guatemala if a man and a woman go after the same job the woman is more likely to get it since it is assumed that she has to use the money on the family and the man will just drink it away.

Not coincidentally we were told a few days later that membership in non-Catholic churches who don't allow their members to drink is increasing in Guatemala.

Lauren7891

« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2012, 11:06:20 AM »
Just saw this one today... This bride is full of unreasonable demands: http://gawker.com/5948725/reasons-why-you-cannot-be-a-bridesmaid?post=53208787

Amara

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 11:29:47 AM »
I don't know why that story of that bride strikes me much harder this morning than it would at other times. But it does.

If I was planning a wedding now and read that I would promptly cancel all plans, grab my fiance, and notify our families and friends that our wedding would be taking place on [date] at courthouse so please come if you can, wear what you want, and join us for wedding dinner (our treat!) at Good-But-Cheap place we like. And that's it.

That story just seems the epitome of the wedding-related craziness we read about on e-Hell. And I think it's getting worse. It makes me want to hide my head and never come out in society again.;

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
Just saw this one today... This bride is full of unreasonable demands: http://gawker.com/5948725/reasons-why-you-cannot-be-a-bridesmaid?post=53208787

That's just...wow.  The nicest thing I can say is that at least she's very up front about it.  The only thing I expected from my maids is that they showed up for the rehearsal and wedding. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »
Wow.   I wonder how many brideslaves she ended up with?
 :o

Jones

« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:20 AM »

Hopefully she lost a bunch of people who thought they were friends...seriously, if I have to travel for work I am lucky (lucky!) to get more than a week's notice. If someone told me--in such a b*chy way, too--- they needed my schedule from Jan 31-August 31 next year I'd have to decline any and all invitations to do or be anything for that person in the future.

BB-VA

« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

There can be absurd requests on both sides.  Say Yes to the Dress Bridesmaids can be a real education.  I really don't understand why, when there is an unreasonable demand on either side, that the demandee doesn't just walk away.  Or, in extreme cases, just smack the demander upside the head.

http://youtu.be/Efruo8pdTLA

http://youtu.be/RCaArpzk9IM

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
Evilsiamesecat thinks it would be  fabulous if ALL 10 prospective bridesmaids declined to participate in this wedding.   >:D

Girlie

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
I think the most disturbing thing is not the one bride who is showing out so badly, but rather the unfortunate number of commentors who support her behavior.  :-\
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:54:16 PM by Girlie »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2012, 02:39:02 PM »
Sharp contrast to my friend that I stood up for.  Shortly after I agreed to be a bridesmaid, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I had my dress but I didn't make any of the showers or parties.  The bride didn't call me until a little over a week before the wedding to find out if I was even going to be there!  She had someone else lined up to wear my dress, just in case, so she just wanted to know and she could pull a quick switcheroo, if needed.

My Mom had a little rally and I was able to be at the wedding.  I think the stubborn old bat (I say with great affection) made it look better than it was to convince me to go.

She must have been frantic but never said a word to me.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »

That's just...wow.  The nicest thing I can say is that at least she's very up front about it.  The only thing I expected from my maids is that they showed up for the rehearsal and wedding.

Mine wore their own clothes, and I didn't even care if they matched (they didn't - one wore lavender and the other wore gold.)  But they were there to stand up with me, and that's all that mattered.  The only person I rode herd on about how they were dressed was my dad, because, left to himself, he'd have shown up in a stained shirt and pants that were too short.  He wore a nice suit jacket, new slacks (that he complained about having to buy), a white dress shirt and a tie, and he looked very nice.