Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 42013 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »
Just saw this one today... This bride is full of unreasonable demands: http://gawker.com/5948725/reasons-why-you-cannot-be-a-bridesmaid?post=53208787
Wow.   I wonder how many brideslaves she ended up with?
 :o

There can be absurd requests on both sides.  Say Yes to the Dress Bridesmaids can be a real education.  I really don't understand why, when there is an unreasonable demand on either side, that the demandee doesn't just walk away.  Or, in extreme cases, just smack the demander upside the head.

http://youtu.be/Efruo8pdTLA

http://youtu.be/RCaArpzk9IM

My solution for the first one is to let the MOH come in any dress she likes.  As a guest.  Who are these people?

blueyzca01

« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
Nobody that I want to know.

Every now and then, I'm convinced that some of these stories have got to be made up.  Then I'm proven wrong
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Pippen

« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
Nobody that I want to know.

Every now and then, I'm convinced that some of these stories have got to be made up.  Then I'm proven wrong

I am constantly astounded by the human condition. Things you think people would never do but sure enough they have.

Iris

« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
Just saw this one today... This bride is full of unreasonable demands: http://gawker.com/5948725/reasons-why-you-cannot-be-a-bridesmaid?post=53208787
Wow.   I wonder how many brideslaves she ended up with?

There can be absurd requests on both sides.  Say Yes to the Dress Bridesmaids can be a real education.  I really don't understand why, when there is an unreasonable demand on either side, that the demandee doesn't just walk away.  Or, in extreme cases, just smack the demander upside the head.

http://youtu.be/Efruo8pdTLA

http://youtu.be/RCaArpzk9IM

My solution for the first one is to let the MOH come in any dress she likes.  As a guest.  Who are these people?

Given how the bride's mother was reacting I'm guessing that that MOH doesn't have any friends left AT the wedding at all. Holy Moly she had some issues. Second most important person after the bride? Obviously the groom is chopped liver to this woman.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

gingerzing

« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »
Have a new one that just happened this week.  And it is a two-fer in one story.  Silly requests on two sides of the story.
BG/My office decorates for Halloween.  On Halloween day, they encourage employees with children to come trick-o-treating (this has widened to grandkids and even a few friends of employees...it is not public, but invited folks.  None of this is the problem.)
BG#2/My Co-worker Sue just bought a house this summer.  The neighborhood has lots of kids.  She has decided to be THAT neighborhood lady who gets dressed up and hands out full size candy bars.  AND who decorates her house. 

For about 6-7 years, Sue has been getting Halloween decorations and we have used them in our hallway.  And while we have always stored them in one of the closets, they are hers.  Oddly enough, this year she wants to use her decorations for her house.  However, this year our office is having every hallway decorate as teams.  And another hallmate Betty (who has had odd issues with Sue for things like Sue being 10 years younger than me-I am about 10 years younger than Betty) assumed that we would be using the decorations
So Sue came up to me this week on her way to retrieve her decorations and asked me if I had told Betty that Sue's decorations would not be available this year.  Errrr, no.  Sue wanted to know why not.  I informed her that they weren't my decorations.  (And kept to myself that we are all over the age of 5 or 13 and could speak for ourselves) 
Sue then caught sight of Betty and told her that "Hey, I am going to be using my decorations for my house this year since I will be getting Trick-o-Treaters." 
Betty gave a strange look and asked why.   ::)  Betty had just assumed that all the decorations we had been using, Sue had bought for the office with her own money and they were basically there forever. 

So double up on this one. 
Sue for thinking that I had to broach the subject to Betty rather than just a simple statement
And Betty for thinking that Sue would just buy new stuff for her house (or decorate after we were done at the office...which wouldn't work either)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
Ah, outrageous fanfic demands...  ::)  I once got one from someone who had already asked me three times to update a story I plainly labeled as being on "semi-permanent hiatus".  I answered the first update request very politely, and ignored the other two.  I got an email from this person threatening, "Update NOW, or I'll try to have your story removed from this site!  It's not FAIR to leave readers on pins and needles!  I'm busy too, but I don't leave my stories unfinished!!"  Bad spellings omitted here.  I replied with, "Okay, go ahead.  I've got your threatening email saved right here, and I've broken no site rules.  If I log in and find my story gone, I'll be emailing them a copy of your threat, along with an explanation.  Do not contact me again."

My story is still up, and I've never heard from her again.  ;D

Speaking as a reader, good gravy.  Yes, I get....annoyed isn't the right word, maybe frustrated is....when a story I love goes on hiatus.  Usually with no notice.  (And I can think of about 4 right now that I wish would update already) However, like an ADULT, all I usually do is send a review saying I love the story and hope it continues.  We all have lives, and I'm sure for most people updating their Avengers fanfic is pretty far down on the list o'priorities.

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »

At least she didn't require matching Brazilians?

Yeah, I'm reaching here...

audhs

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »

At least she didn't require matching Brazilians?

Yeah, I'm reaching here...

I wouldn't be so sure that they weren't one of the non optional activities.  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
(blinks) - the states the parties will be in?

She may not be interested if you're poor at the start, but by golly you will be by the end.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Pippen

« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »
Long background Sorry. My best friend P had moved form the UK to Melbourne to be with her BF. About a week before I was off to Turkey for a month I get a phone call from her saying it is all over between them and he was not the man she thought he was. I told her to get back to London STAT where all her friends were and we would look after her. I was going to cancel my trip but she said she really wanted me to go and would feel terrible if I did. She was going to stay at my place while I was away so I set it up for her. I ironed the sheets and I loathe ironing sheets. Cleared out a closet for her things. Got a bottle of her favourite champagne and gave my flatmate Matt 20 quid to get some flowers for the room for the day she arrived. Everything was immaculate and I wanted everything to be perfect for when she arrived.

So sitting by the pool in Turkey I get a phone call from Matt saying Simon (a friend of my from Uni who I had only recently got back in contact with) was happily ensconced in my room after getting kicked out of his flat. WHAT?! He had told my flatmates I had said he could stay. Well that is news to me. Cue one very angry phone call to Simon telling him to get out of my room and that P was arriving in a couple of days and I had set the room up so it would be perfect for when she arrived. Acts of violence were mentioned. He tried to say he was leaving for Spain in a few days and he didn't think I would mind. I then called Matt and told him to throw the bludger out in the street which he duly did. For some reason Simon had to leave his motorbike behind and he had parked it on the road in such a way it was blocking the driveway so not having the keys my flatmates had to pretty much carry it and put it in the garage. P calls me when she arrives and I tell her I had the room all set up and the stunt Simon had pulled. She told me the room was a mess. He had left his dirty clothes everywhere, mud all over the floor and on the bed. The champagne had been polished off and the closet was filled with all his junk. Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. 
End BG

So about 6 months after this debacle I get an email from Simon saying he is sending someone around to collect his things and then asks if I could arrange to courier, yes courier, his motorbike to Spain. For me to pay for it and that he would pay me back. Like heck I would! Not only would the shipping be extortionate there would be zero chance of ever seeing any money out of him so I told him if he wanted his stupid motorbike he would have to come back and get it himself. He never did. To the best of my knowledge it spent 6 years sitting in the garage.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:44 PM »
Boy, do I ever have stories for this thread!

First one.  I was working for an airline about 30 hours a week, and decided to get a part time job with one of the retail stores in the airport to boost my income a bit.  One day I was just feeling like total crap, and I left my airline job early and called in sick to my retail job.  Or at least, I tried to.  When I reached my manager, she told me I wasn't allowed to call in sick.  I told her I didn't care, I wasn't coming in for my shift.  She informed me "Other Store Manager has already thrown up twice, and she's still here!" like this was something to be proud of!  I said, "I'm sorry, I know this leaves you short handed but I'm not coming in".  Her response was "Then I'll have to write you up!".  Yes, because I was so scared of being fired from my 10 hr per week, minimum wage paying part time.   ::)  I did in fact get written up, and submitted my two weeks notice shortly afterward.  My Store Manager was in shock was to why I wanted to leave "such a great place to work!".

Second.  I was working for Bruegger's Bagels right out of college while trying to find a "real" job.  I was hired as a night shift supervisor, and told I would be trained.  After two days of "training", I was given the task of closing with the two newest people, who had never closed before.  After failing miserably (because I didn't understand the procedures and thus couldn't teach them very well), my manager had a very serious talk with me about how I couldn't be a shift supervisor anymore, because I wasn't living up to expectations.  He told me that, in order to keep my higher wage, I would need to radically change my schedule and start coming in every morning at 5:30 am - remember, I was hired as the NIGHT shift supervisor - in order to "prove his faith in me".  I did come in as scheduled, but that did inspire me to start job searching pretty hard!

Last one (for the time being).  A friend of mine was in Boston for a year for a job, and shortly after arriving she needed to get to the airport.  She called me and another friend in a three way call, and as we were talking said, "I don't know how to get to the airport.  Tell me how to get there!".  I spent probably 45 mins on the phone randomly giving her directions (turn here!  Can you make a left...do it!  Take that fork!).  We ended up getting her to the airport, how I don't know, but it remains quite possibly the most ridiculous request I've ever heard. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2012, 05:57:09 PM »
At one point I was working as a switchboard operator for a housing agency dealing with low-income housing in the US. I got a call from someone who wanted me to help them buy a summer home- in India.

Yeah, that didn't happen.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

SoCalVal

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
I've told this story before, but it fits here.

I got a call from another department in the hospital asking for work load figures for a particular time period for my section.  Since I kept those on an Excel spreadsheet and updated them monthly I e-mailed the department a copy. 

Then I got a call back and was told,  "This needs to be typed up on letterhead." 

I said, "Go ahead." 

"We have a short suspense!"  Meaning they needed to do it fast. 

I said, "Then you'd better get started on it."

"You mean you aren't going to do this for us?"

I said, "No, I'm not.  I provided you with my work load figures, as you asked, but I'm not going to do your work for you."

Besides, I knew what would happen:  I'd type it up, and it'd be bounced back to me six times for changes, and the other department would get all the credit for my work.  So I was going to stop it before it got started.

Believe me, I knew what would happen because I had been through it.  I typed up a list of approved abbreviations as a favor to my boss, and I was still getting that paper boomerang back three years later.  Seriously.  People would call me up and demand to know why I had put X abbreviation on there instead of Y abbreviation, and I'd tell them, "Hey, I'm just the typist.  You need to talk to Colonel Painintheneck, who's the project officer."  I did notice, however, that once I started referring people to him I got a lot fewer phone calls.

Your story always reminded me of an absurd statement (not so much a request or demand) that also belongs in the Professional Darwinism thread.

I worked for a commercial real estate brokerage and supported about five departments so the breakdown of which area paid what percentage was something like 40% sales/leasing, 40% property management, 20% finance.  Well, I, one day, received a bunch of work from the staff at an apartment community we were managing stating that they were directed to give it to me to do.  I was puzzled so I asked my office manager if I were now also supposed to be supporting the apartment communities with THEIR office work because I couldn't see the brokers being a) fine with me supporting those who don't work in our office (I supported our branch specifically) and b) fine with out-of-office work taking a higher priority than work in the office.  She inquired with the property management director (who was already on thin ice because he was a newly-hired hothead who was so much alienating the staff in and out of the office that they were resigning).  He said that if they were going to pay 40% of my salary, then he was going to use my time as he saw fit (I understood his reasoning but really didn't see that flying with the rest of the office).  Well, she then asked me to determine exactly how much each area really used my time, I sent her the percentages and their amount they had to pay for got cut down to 12.5% (which was just enough time to do the stuff I'd regularly been doing for them each month).  Yeah, not only did that crap not happen again (trying to give me out-of-office work), but the property management director also didn't last very long afterwards (seriously, I think he lasted just a few months).

Another place I used to work employed both me and my mother (I got her her job).  She went on vacation one week, but everyone knew she was just taking time off and not actually going anywhere.  During that time, our manager had a meeting that needed to take place, and he had the audacity to say to me, "Sorry, but this meeting is mandatory so you need to tell her that she has to interrupt her vacation to attend" (this was after I told him she was on vacation so she wouldn't be available to attend).  I then looked at him and said, "Fine, but, next time, I'm telling her not to let anyone know she didn't go anywhere so you won't know she's in town so physically able to return to work when you say so."  That got to him, and he immediately backpedaled and said she didn't have to attend the meeting.

Same company -- another person, knowing my mother and I lived together, tried to give me paperwork to give to her.  I already hated this company and tried as much as I could to keep work and home life separate so my feeling was, outside of office hours, I did not let work permeate our lives.  I refused the paperwork and told her that I wasn't responsible for providing another employee paperwork outside of my working hours just because we lived in the same place.  That person then asked me how was my mother supposed to get the paperwork (my mother worked the graveyard shift at the time).  I told that person it was her responsibility to get the paperwork to my mother, not mine.  Yeah, she didn't like that answer, but, since I wasn't getting paid for delivering something outside of my work schedule (we were almost never authorized overtime), she couldn't force me to do it.  After that, people knew never to try to force me to make THEIR jobs easier by passing on stuff (like work information) to her when I'd see her at home (we had other employees who were relatives or married, and I never did that to them either as I felt it wasn't fair to them -- that stupid job was stressful enough without making them take it into their personal lives).

SoCalVal

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
Forgot one.

Every year, the residents have a week-long event with different activities -- one of which is provide lunch or breakfast to everyone in the department.  As a result, the lead resident asked me how many people work each day in my area.  I gave her the count then she asked me if I knew how many people worked during the day, evening and night shifts.  I then gave her the hours of each shift and how may on each of those blocks.  She then asked me how many people worked at any given hour.  I told her that, with the hours of each shift, she could determine how many people were scheduled to work each hour.  On the tip of her tongue (I could see it on her face as she was just about to ask the question), she was going to ask me to figure out that number, but she stopped because I believe I just gave her THE LOOK -- the one that says I can't believe how incredibly lazy and entitled you are that this is YOUR task, I gave you the info you need and you can't be bothered to do the simple math to answer your own question???  She closed her mouth, thanked me for the info and walked away.  I still shake my head at that (that crop of residents acted incredibly entitled so I really was glad when their year ended).

weeblewobble

« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »
CAUTION: Discussion of animal bodily functions.

(Let me know if I should highlight/hide potentially offensive terms and I will be happy to.)

There is a common/green space area in the middle of my parents' neighborhood.  It's small, maybe one square block and has been designated by the HOA as "OK" for the residents to use to walk their leashed dogs as long as the owners pick up after the dogs.  (The HOA even provides a little dispenser with plastic "pick-up" bags and a trash can, which I think is nice.)

One of the homeowners living right across the street from the green space has decided this is NOT OK with him.  My mom was walking her dog a few months ago and he came running out of his house yelling, "You can't do that!"  Mom, confused, thought maybe he thought that she was leaving the dog's droppings behind, so she said, "Oh, he doesn't have to go.  But if he does, I'll clean it up."

"No!" the guy yelled.  "You can walk your dog here!  My children play on this grass.  And even if you clean up the droppings, the dog's still peeing in the grass and I don't want my children stepping in that!  They get it all over their shoes and track it onto the carpets!  You're the third person I've had to tell today! Why does everybody think it's OK to just let their dogs pee EVERYWHERE?"

"So you don't want the dog owners to use the area the HOA has approved for dogwalking because there's a chance your children could step on spots of dried dog urine while wearing their shoes?"  Mom said. 

"YES!" the guy cried.  "It's disgusting!"

Mom gave him absolute dead-expression face and said, "You need to take this up with the HOA."

And of course, while Dog Pee Guy was wailing about he shouldn't HAVE to take it up with HOA, the dog owners should just do what he tells them, Mom's dog lifted his leg on a nearby tree.