Author Topic: Absurd requests/demands  (Read 41124 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Absurd requests/demands
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »

At my sister's church, a man suggested that the ladies of the church should make quilts for the needy. One of the ladies suggested that, instead, they could make a top-quality quilt and raffle it off to buy blankets for the needy. He just couldn't figure out why the women wouldn't want to donate hours and hours of time and hundreds of dollars of materials, to give a quilt to someone instead of a $35 blanket.

I think some people believe that all quilts are made from cast-off clothing, like in the "olden days," and therefore the materials are free. And the quilters are just sewing in their spare time, as busywork, so no value gets attached to the handsewing, either. And it's just pieces of cloth sewed together. How complicated or time consuming could that possibly be?

Let me hasten to add that I am not one of those people.

This brought to mind my MIL's craft group at church.  The church holds a huge craft bazaar every year, raising thousands of dollars for the church's missionary efforts.  The craft ladies provide a good number of the crafts sold, working for months in advance.  There is one woman in the church, Portia, who cannot sew, paint, or do any sort of craft.  But she frequently comes to the craft group's meetings to "advise" the ladies on how she thinks their crafts should be made.  ("Oh, I don't like that color.  You should make it green instead." or "I don't like quilted items.  I don't think most people like quilted items.  You should knit something instead.")

The worst part was that the group holds a pricing meeting the week before the bizarre to determine how much they should charge for each item and then put price tags on.  Portia would come to the meeting.  The craft ladies, who knew a bit about handmade crafts and how much people (who appreciate the work that go into them) will pay for those items, would price them accordingly.  Nothing outrageous. $25 for a hand-quilted throw pillow.  $20 for elaborately painted glass Christmas ornaments.  $150 for a beautifully made two story Victorian dollhouse, complete with dolls and furnishings. 

For every item, Portia would hear the suggested price and sniff, "I wouldn't give $15 for that."

"That" being the large hand-embroidered, detailed wall hanging, that the ladies wanted to charge $50 for.

One year, Portia didn't feel the ladies were taking her advice into account, so she waited until the meeting was over, then went around the room "correcting" the price tags.  It caused a lot of confusion on the morning of the bazaar and lost the church quite a bit of money in potential sales.   

The pastor thinks Portia hung the moon, so going to him would do no good. MIL says they now keep the time and location of the pricing meeting a secret and then lock the craft storage room up so the price tags can't be "corrected."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:32:22 PM by weeblewobble »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »

Is that quilt show an annual thing? Because I think I may have just planned next year's vacation!

Yes, it's annual - and "around the end of October" - but you might want to check out the dates for next year before booking a hotel, as the George R. Brown Convention Center's being booked has caused it to run a week earlier or later, at times.

http://quilts.com/home/index.php

++++++++++++

The comment about the people & their water bills reminds me of the people calling about car insurance claims.....there was the guy who commented "we should have solved this by now" when he'd never reported the accident - even when telling us that he was being taken to court over it.  He also forgot to tell us what county in that state or what the court date was - apparently our psychic powers just were supposed to solve that, too.

Turned out that he bought his policy from us AFTER the accident he was being taken to court over, so the lawyer showed up to tell the judge (in proper legalese) that our insurance company was not involved as the event had happened before we had a contract with the defendant. 

Apparently HE didn't think it was absurd for us to resolve a claim for an accident that was never reported and had happened a couple of months before he bought a policy with our insurance company - but we did.

I guess we had a GOOD lawyer in that area, because he somehow managed to track down which courtroom to be in on the right day & time...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:57:52 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PurpleFrog

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2012, 09:39:10 AM »
Re: the homecoming dance request for black and white colors-

An announcement of the dress-up days is given two weeks in advance (think nerd day, school colors day, hero day, Disney day, crazy hat day, etc...) Most kids raid their parents' closet, and get creative.  This is not a rent costume thing, but just dress down fun since the kids wear assigned uniforms daily.

This year, the student council decided to add a color theme to the dance.  Some parents are saying, "they have to wear a uniform to school, this dance is a rare opportunity to show some personality.  And now we are told black and white?"

Plus, white after labor day?   :o   ;)

IF I can find a dress on sale, maybe.  But we bought two dresses (one in springtime with a friend out of town, and one as an impulse sale for her b-day with her grandma) knowing that school and holiday dances/parties were coming up, and both dresses were uber cute.  Neither are black or white. 

DS says he is going to get arm tat temporary sleeves and go goth.  All black.   >:D >:D

He could always wear this.  >:D >:D
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007UOPTLY/ref=aw_d_iv_kids?is=l

[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
gold & platinum hand quilting needles that won't tarnish or etch from the acids of your skin - I am not kidding

For some of us, these kinds of needles really are a necessity.  My hands perspire a fair amount, especially when doing needlework (where the hand is often semi-closed, which can make the problem worse).  This causes a reaction with steel needles, leaving tarnish and even corrosion, which could ruin the fabric.  Many years ago, my mother, who was part owner of a needlepoint shop, recommended the gold needles, and I've used them ever since.

I mentioned them because I had to find them when doing counted cross stitch

Now I know what those are for, I will be getting some before my next cross stitch project! I ended up etching three needles over the course of the last project...

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »
gold & platinum hand quilting needles that won't tarnish or etch from the acids of your skin - I am not kidding

For some of us, these kinds of needles really are a necessity.  My hands perspire a fair amount, especially when doing needlework (where the hand is often semi-closed, which can make the problem worse).  This causes a reaction with steel needles, leaving tarnish and even corrosion, which could ruin the fabric.  Many years ago, my mother, who was part owner of a needlepoint shop, recommended the gold needles, and I've used them ever since.

I mentioned them because I had to find them when doing counted cross stitch

Now I know what those are for, I will be getting some before my next cross stitch project! I ended up etching three needles over the course of the last project...

I used to do a lot of needlecrafts - quilting, crochet, cross stitch, needlepoint.

If your hands get so sweaty/oily, how do you keep the fabric/yarn/floss clean while working with it?

I've had to stop a few times when my hands just got icky. (Stopped forever because of arthritis, which makes me pretty clumsy.)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2012, 04:42:05 PM »
How thick are the embroidery needles? Would sterling silver work? Silver shouldn't etch either but it may be too soft for needles.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
Some quilting & embroidery needles can be about as thick as coarse horsehair & shorter than one of the joints in your finger - others can be the size of a fishbone & longer than a finger - depends on the thread being used to do the stitching.  Doll needles used for sculpting the body to shape can be longer than the palm of your hand - depends on the size of the doll.

I got "free" gold plated needles the first time in a magazine for counted cross stitch - and it worked so well that I bought several more of them over the years, until I got pg & found that embroidery work and small babies & toddlers didn't mix well, for me.  Now that he's older, my vision & my wrists aren't what they used to be.......

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2012, 05:14:48 PM »
Aaaaah, the gold needles! So much love for those.
Words mean things.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »
Aaaaah, the gold needles! So much love for those.

I went looking for magazines in the rack to buy with the gold needles - for some reason, many of them had been opened & the little needle packet was missing.

Snarky & Evil love gold plated needles almost as much as they like Bunny FooFoos with dark chocolate bunnies (which is a great deal of *like*, if you know those two).  They were most unhappy at having to go buy just gold plated needles without a free magazine full of patterns & projects to go with it.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2012, 06:30:46 PM »
VorFemme, that stinks.  I think the people who did that deserve to be in the Special Snowflakes thread!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »
VorFemme, that stinks.  I think the people who did that deserve to be in the Special Snowflakes thread!

It wasn't recent (did I mention getting older stinks?  wrists & vision aren't what they used to be 20 plus years ago when I did counted cross stitch with one strand of floss on 22-count fabric to make a doll sized "quilt" for Ambrosia Hino's doll house.  I still have the quilt, rug, & other cross stitched bits - the house got given away in a military move (both the Barbie scale one and the smaller scale one a few years later - no ROOM at the new house for the old toys sometimes).  Not to mention that teenagers aren't as into doll houses as younger kids or Mom & Grandma!  The kids play with them and we older people "play" by making new stuff to go into the doll house.....some of which is too delicate for the kid to play with so it gets "saved" for when they are older.....but I digress.

Snarky and Evil had plenty to say about the really special snowflakes who wanted gold plated needles but didn't BUY the magazines at the time.  Irate did not begin to cover their emotional state.

Forget the Maleficent costume - Evil turned into the dragon at that point & was ready to breath flame......

rain

« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
can we get back on topic please (but if someone wants to start a thread about quilting & how to start I'd be interested)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

Is that quilt show an annual thing? Because I think I may have just planned next year's vacation!

Yes, it's annual - and "around the end of October" - but you might want to check out the dates for next year before booking a hotel, as the George R. Brown Convention Center's being booked has caused it to run a week earlier or later, at times.

++++++++++++

The comment about the people & their water bills reminds me of the people calling about car insurance claims.....there was the guy who commented "we should have solved this by now" when he'd never reported the accident - even when telling us that he was being taken to court over it.  He also forgot to tell us what county in that state or what the court date was - apparently our psychic powers just were supposed to solve that, too.

Turned out that he bought his policy from us AFTER the accident he was being taken to court over, so the lawyer showed up to tell the judge (in proper legalese) that our insurance company was not involved as the event had happened before we had a contract with the defendant. 

Apparently HE didn't think it was absurd for us to resolve a claim for an accident that was never reported and had happened a couple of months before he bought a policy with our insurance company - but we did

I guess we had a GOOD lawyer in that area, because he somehow managed to track down which courtroom to be in on the right day & time...

I worked for an insurance company when I was younger. We once had an insured call the office from the scene of an accident and demand someone come down there right that moment to give him a check. ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Pippen

« Reply #193 on: October 10, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

++++++++++++

Apparently HE didn't think it was absurd for us to resolve a claim for an accident that was never reported and had happened a couple of months before he bought a policy with our insurance company - but we did

I worked for an insurance company when I was younger. We once had an insured call the office from the scene of an accident and demand someone come down there right that moment to give him a check. ::)

My friend had her car vandalised and we caught the guys doing it and they were arrested. Try as I might I could not explain the concept of an excess to her. She had chosen to have a $500 excess and pay cheaper insurance and was most aggrieved she had to pay for the first $500. She even went to the police station expecting them to pay her back for it.

Clareish

« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
I was at a large theme park a couple of weeks ago, with my nephew, and we were just playing in a playground area. I had been playing with my smartphone, and was just putting it away, when an adult woman comes up to me, with her arm outstretched towards my phone, and says "I just need to make a call."

Sure, why not have a stranger take my new phone worth a few hundred dollars?

I managed to put it back in my pocket, and she looked incredulous as I said "No, I'm sorry, I don't lend out my phone, but I'm sure there is public phones around here somewhere." I then turned away.

Honestly, I can understand it being an emergency or something, but she acted like it was the most natural thing in the world that she would just take my phone. No "could you call a taxi for me?" or anything of that nature.

She didn't even say please.