Author Topic: Could I handle this better?  (Read 3103 times)

sweetonsno

Re: Could I handle this better?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
If you want to keep a civil relationship, you could go up to her, talk to her for a couple of minutes, and then tell her "you have to go run an errand". So you control the length of time.

Another idea is "Oh, I am sorry, I can't chat today. I have to catch up on my reading for my Book Club (a club of one...you!)"

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I would probably just say that I was working on Book Club.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
One of the catalogs I receive sells a shirt that says "Go Away, I'm Reading" picturing a girl surrounded by books.  Too obvious?

I like the idea of responding with a startled "huh?" followed by "oh, sorry, I didn't hear you because I've been engrossed in this book".

You did fine.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 03:03:35 PM »
One of the catalogs I receive sells a shirt that says "Go Away, I'm Reading" picturing a girl surrounded by books.  Too obvious?

I don't think that would work. If you're reading, your book will be in front of the t-shirt so it kinda doesn't matter what's on it.
Words mean things.

jane7166

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 03:07:38 PM »
If you want to keep a civil relationship, you could go up to her, talk to her for a couple of minutes, and then tell her "you have to go run an errand". So you control the length of time.

Another idea is "Oh, I am sorry, I can't chat today. I have to catch up on my reading for my Book Club (a club of one...you!)"

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I would probably just say that I was working on Book Club.

OP here.  Good idea for Chatty.  Some people might want to join my "Book Club" and then I would be stuck but I don't think this woman reads much.  Thanks!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
OP here.  Good idea for Chatty.  Some people might want to join my "Book Club" and then I would be stuck but I don't think this woman reads much.  Thanks!

Why would you be stuck?
Words mean things.

jane7166

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »

Why would you be stuck?

Because there is no Book Club.  Or, there is, but I am the only member. 

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
You don't have to grant every request made of you. "Sorry, I don't think the club is taking new members now."
Words mean things.

sweetonsno

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:53 PM »

Why would you be stuck?

Because there is no Book Club.  Or, there is, but I am the only member.

Just say that there isn't room for more members, but thank them for their interest.