Author Topic: Teacher gets political in crafts class UPDATE #34  (Read 8817 times)

Amara

Re: Teacher gets political in crafts class
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »
Even leaving aside the types of comments it's not right to use class time--when attendees are using their time to learn and advance their skills--to talk about things not related to the craft. Everyone there has agreed that this time i will be devoted to the craft. They gave up time to come and do it. Their time thus needs to be respected.

poundcake

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
Great letter. Looking forward to updates.

ddawn23

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Considering the thread's title I would like to express my bitter disappointment that the teacher's political actions didn't directly involve crafts.  As in, "Okay class, today we'll learn how to make effigies!"

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 05:50:15 PM »
Considering the thread's title I would like to express my bitter disappointment that the teacher's political actions didn't directly involve crafts.  As in, "Okay class, today we'll learn how to make effigies!"

ok, I laughed

CrazyDaffodilLady

Update: Teacher gets political in crafts class
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:44 PM »
UPDATE: I sent the letter, and two days later the head librarian phoned me.  She thanked me for writing and asked what class it was.  I said I didn’t want it to be about a specific teacher, but she said, “Was it Wilma?”, and I said yes.  The librarian told me she would’ve said something to Wilma except . . . the class has been cancelled because Wilma’s husband was just diagnosed with late stage cancer. 

So really nothing was accomplished other than me standing up for what I believe in, and I feel terrible about Wilma.  Life sure has a way of throwing curve balls. 

P.S. Thanks for the laugh, ddawn23.  Now I want to crochet an effigy.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Margo

Re: Teacher gets political in crafts class UPDATE #34
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:02 AM »
I don't think nothing was accomplished.  The issue was raised.. The fact that the ibrarian knew who it was suggests to me that you may not have been the only one voicing concerns, and the fact that you did so will make it easier for the library to stand up for anyone else in a similar position in future, and may ensure that they are clearer about their policies.

Of course it is very hard for Wilma and her husband that they have had a personal tragedy but that is not related to this issue you raised.

It sounds as though Wilma may return to teaching in the future - the facttaht the issue has been rasied and that the library is aware that the problem related to her will give them the opportunity to address this with her before any new classes start, and if they don't, or if she does the smae in future, then it will be harder for the library to ignore because they will already have on recod the fact that the issue has caused concerns in the past.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Teacher gets political in crafts class UPDATE #34
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »

It sounds as though Wilma may return to teaching in the future - the facttaht the issue has been rasied and that the library is aware that the problem related to her will give them the opportunity to address this with her before any new classes start, and if they don't, or if she does the smae in future, then it will be harder for the library to ignore because they will already have on recod the fact that the issue has caused concerns in the past.

Maybe not. my take on the librarian's response was the she had been going to bring the subject up with Wilma, but due to her husband's illness and the class being cancelled, she didn't thnk the time was right.  It may be that at some future date she does bring it up with Wilma, and Wilma may or may not be "allowed" to teach there