Author Topic: How Shall I Sauce My Fettucine?  (Read 4326 times)

QueenofAllThings

How Shall I Sauce My Fettucine?
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
I have some amazing fresh fettucine from Arthur Avenue, and need inspiration.

We love pesto - but enough is enough, and now it's autumn. I need some new sauce ideas, and where else would I turn but to you?

It cannot contain red meat, bacon, or seafood. It can contain veggies, game, pork or chicken.  As much as the Prince and I love cream sauces, we try to avoid them - the King is too disciplined to eat them, and they make me chubby (*sigh*). The men in my life LOVE pasta, so I seek inspiration.

Help me, E-Hellion foodies!

NyaChan

Re: How Shall I Sauce My Fettucine?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
Vigorously. 

;D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »
The other night DH made some chicken for the linguini and homemade alfredo sauce I cooked. He started with chicken tenders but you could cut breasts into strips. He melted about 3 Tbsp of butter in a saute pan and added 1/3C white wine, 2 cloves minced garlic and a Tbsp or so of Italian seasoning and then the chicken. He cooked it on medium/low until the liquid was reduced and the chicken was cooked through and then cut them into bite-sized pieces and added a bit more wine, then let it simmer for another 10 minutes or so. It was amazing!! One of my kiddos doesn't care for alfredo sauce so he just had the pasta and chicken with extra parmesan sprinkled over it and he thought it was really good. If you used more liquid (maybe some chicken stock?) you could have plenty of "sauce" left with your chicken.  :)

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
For a real answer - I've been craving tomato sauce lately.  Maybe that with a mix of fresh veggies?

O'Dell

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
Minced garlic, olive oil, shaved parmesan, bit of salt and pepper to taste. If the pasta is good, you don't need anything more. :)
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Amara

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 12:41:23 PM »
I make a Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce that doesn't have a recipe but if you are interested let me know. I can look at my cupboards and tell you what to put together. Beware, though, while not steam-out-of-your-ears hot it is definitely spicy. Once on the pasta I then add Reggiano Parmesan cheese and capers then top with a few Moroccan olives.

saki

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Butter, mustard, chopped herbs if you like. Not as unhealthy as it sounds as you don't need much butter.

CluelessBride

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »
If you are interested in a lighter cream sauce, you should look into the philadelphia cooking creams.  It's technically around 100 calories a serving, but DH and I usually get closer to 6 servings from a 4 serving tub (we intentionally do a bad job of draining our pasta before we toss it with the sauce, so that probably helps).  We usually cook it up with diced chicken and/or various veggies like pepper, onions, broccoli, but the website has a ton of different options for the different flavors.  It's also super easy and great for a last minute meal.

I also sometimes do pasta with basalmic vinegar.  No real recipe, just sautee some garlic and maybe a few slices of onion (if I have a partial onion leftover from something else) in olive oil.  Then add basalmic vinegar and vinegar when you add the pasta. 

Since it's fall, you could also try a pumpkin sauce.  I bought some from somewhere a few years back and it was delicious, but I bet you could make your own. 

buvezdevin

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
The name in the link below says it all, except that the recipe also calls for leeks - which are wonderful.

The goat cheese, which is tossed in just before serving gives a light "creaminess" and flavor, but if the King or others prefer it without that one item, you could serve the goat cheese on the side.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Fettuccine-with-Tomatoes-Bacon-Arugula-and-Goat-Cheese-5636
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Buvezdin, that looks AWESOME.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
I sometimes sauté black olives, garlic, chilli, anchovies, capers and lemon zest and pour it all, with the olive oil over the pasta. So easy and so delish.

Victoria

Jloreli

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
Chop very ripe tomatoes and as much brie as you think you should have....toss with hot cooked pasta, crushed red pepper and crushed garlic to taste.  Toss until brie melts then sprinkle generously with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy.

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Minced garlic, olive oil, shaved parmesan, bit of salt and pepper to taste. If the pasta is good, you don't need anything more. :)

I like to add chopped fresh tomatoes and basil to this.  I also sometimes use a "6 cheese Italian" blend from a package.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
I am into roasted butternut squash and pears lately. Love that flavor combo. Cut the squash and pears in *about* the same size, drizzle with olive oil, top with cinnamon, sugar and honey. Roast until tender, and then mash it all together, adding olive oil and /or broth until the right consistency. Toss with the pasta and enjoy!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »

That sounds fantastic! I think browned butter instead of olive oil would be amazing as well!