Author Topic: How Shall I Sauce My Fettucine?  (Read 4273 times)

sweetonsno

Re: How Shall I Sauce My Fettucine?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »
My stepmom used to make a fantastic "toss" for pasta. I don't have the recipe, and it's far too late to call her, but I'll give it my best go.

Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 onion, chopped, and sauté until translucent. Add a handful of julienned sun-dried tomatoes (soak them in hot water if they are very dry, cut back on the oil if they are oil-packed) and a handful of pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir until warmed through. Toss with pasta. Pass parmesan or feta at the table, along with some sliced basil and kalamata olives if you like them.

Isometric

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 12:56:10 AM »
Yummy! All these suggestions sounds great and are making me hungry!

If you love creamy sauces, you could try using light evaporated milk when cream is called for. I can't taste the difference.

I love pumpkin and pinenuts together, I usually make a risotto but I think it would go really nicely with fresh fettuchine. Chicken/Tofu and a soft cheese (like goats cheese or a mild fetta) would  go well with them too.

Enjoy it, whatever you have!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 07:28:21 AM »
These all sound delicious - thanks!

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »

Tomato and spinach.
I had that tonight and it was yummy.
Stewart/Colbert '16

audrey1962

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Mushrooms, peas and basil (with appropriate amounts of olive oil, garlic, s & p).

DaisyG

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
If you love ordinary basil pesto, have you tried walnut pesto? I don't know if it's on sale where you are as I've never seen it here but it's just walnuts (without their shells) and parmesan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, blitzed in a blender until it gets to the right consistency and taste. You don't need much oil as the walnuts release their own while grinding. I really need to make this again!

The other very quick sauce I like is adding oil, egg and chese to the cooked pasta.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »
Mushrooms, peas and basil (with appropriate amounts of olive oil, garlic, s & p).

I do this with some tomatoes- delicious!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
Have you considered Cacio e Pepe? 

This is a Roman specialty that uses pecorino Romano and freshly ground black pepper.  It tastes like macaroni and cheese that has died and gone to heaven.  Served with a nice salad, it's a wonderful meal.  Just make sure the cheese is the real, imported stuff.     

There are many recipes available on line.  Some use heavy cream, others do not.

The recipe we use involves cooking the pasta is less water than usual.  This concentrates the starch from the pasta in the water.  Some of the water is then used as the base for tossing the pasta in a skillet with the cheese and helps to bind the cheese into a sauce.  A generous amount of fresh ground pepper added befor a final toss completes the dish. 

Believe me, it's well worth a try.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:58:16 AM »
I am into roasted butternut squash and pears lately. Love that flavor combo. Cut the squash and pears in *about* the same size, drizzle with olive oil, top with cinnamon, sugar and honey. Roast until tender, and then mash it all together, adding olive oil and /or broth until the right consistency. Toss with the pasta and enjoy!

Sounds amazing!  What's the ratio of butternut squash to pear?  About equal or 2:1 in favour of the squash?
The days are long but the years are short.

texgalatheart

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
My grandparents lived next to an Italian couple. They passed this recipe on. Heat a few tablespoons of Olive oil and sliced garlic cloves, saute until they just start to brown, put all in with the cooked Pasta and toss. I like to salt the pasta water to add flavor while it cooks.

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
Green olive tampenade, pine nuts and fresh basil. Yummy!
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

mmswm

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
Olive oil, minced garlic, finely diced onion, basil and oregano.  You can add chicken if you'd like.  Toss with the pasta and serve.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 05:51:59 AM »
I'm a bit late with this, sorry.

My favourite thing to do with linguine or fettucine when I don't care about calories is to make a lemon based sauce.  It's lightening fast and tastes so good.  This is the recipe I use from Nigella Lawson:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/lemon-linguine-recipe/index.html