Author Topic: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides  (Read 4162 times)

buvezdevin

A week ago, a group of friend came over and spent a beautiful Sunday afternoon helping me with some in progress house stuff.  A friend and neighbor knew I was "stuck" moving forward, and I welcomed him in the morning to come over and offer advice.  He came saw, suggested and said he would be back shortly to help (with my blessing and thanks).  He came back, and within the hour four other friends "materialized" - and we knocked out projects which had been frustrating me (my boyfriend does a lot around the house, but we had both agreed these were mine, and didn't want to be jointly frustrated).

So, as a thank you, I'm having these friends over for a steak dinner next Sunday.  We grill a lot, and I have my "go to" sides and accompaniments - but I would like to make this meal special.  Have already got massive bone-in rib eye steaks, and loads of some great wine, but am wanting some new ideas for side dishes and appetizers.

I was checking my favorite recipe sites, then had the "could have a V-8" head slapping moment of realization - put the question to e-hellions, of course!

Would love suggestions and recipes.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
Asparagus! Steak is always better with asparagus!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

sourwolf

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
I love potatoes au gratin with steak, or any type of potatoes really.  That and maybe green beans (I like them quick fried with garlic and a smidgen of breadcrumbs) or spinach (wilted with lemon and garlic) would be yummy and easy.

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Asparagus! Steak is always better with asparagus!

I could not agree more!  The friend who initiated the impromptu "saving buvezdevin from herself" is known for his roasted asparagus with Parmesan (which I have liberally copied for dinners for boyfriend and myself).

I guess my dilemma is, when we have friends over for dinner, we tend to either grill out, with side salads and apps made in advance or also grilled, or have a more formal dinner party where I like to have some more elaborate dishes (I love to play in the kitchen, not afraid of trying new things).

I don't want this dinner to be "formal" - I want everyone to relax, enjoy good food, wine and company before plunging back into the work week.  But, due to my great appreciation of the special effort these friends made for me - I would like to have something new or special to serve.  We have often shared meals at each others homes, all are good cooks, and by now - we also recognize or copy some dishes amongst ourselves.

So - I am totally with you, SamiHami about asparagus - do you, or others have a special way you like to prepare it, or sauce? 

There are dishes, or general ideas I have used/applied for years, and then I have read something here which gave me new insight or a great new approach - and really changed, for the better, what i had long done without much reflection (true for many things, but also true for food and recipes). I am most humbly, and appreciatively open to all suggestions.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
A potato-leek gratin or roasted new potatoes or baked potatoes

Roasted veggies or a veggie tart of some sort - perhaps mushroom?

Sauteed wild mushrooms

Halved stuffed roasted acorn squash

Caeser salad is a classic

Roasted brussel sprouts

Lightly steam some green beans, then saute quickly with hazelnut oil and chopped hazelnuts (or walnuts)

Mashed sweet potatoes and apples (with a hint of maple syrup & cayenne)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:56 PM »
My suggestion is also some kind of potato (because I love them and no steak meal is complete without them  ;D)

I've heard grilled peaches is good.  With vanilla ice cream sounds heavenly.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 09:31:17 PM »
I have a recipe for goat cheese, peas and leak Mac and cheese. It is delicious with steak. Add a green veggie and dinner is served.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:32:20 PM »
We halve a nice tomato and bake it with garlic. Then on the plate we add some good quality balsamic vinegar, just a drizzle.

Victoria

buvezdevin

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
I love potatoes au gratin with steak, or any type of potatoes really.  That and maybe green beans (I like them quick fried with garlic and a smidgen of breadcrumbs) or spinach (wilted with lemon and garlic) would be yummy and easy.

I was also thinking "potatoes" in some form, and was mulling over doing roasted quartered Yukon gold potatoes with roasted shallots (haven't tried this yet, but saw a recipe on epicurious.com, my fave recipe site because of the commentator reviews).  Agree, this veg is most fitting, not yet sure how to best prepare.  I once made what seemed to me a huge portion of gratin potatoes (love'em) but for that dinner group of 8 (same number for this dinner), it seemed less than enough (some large appetite guys).  So roasting seems better to allow a more than sufficient quantity - without buying a new bigger gratin pan (mine is big, but seems not big enough for 8 generous servings).

Re the green beans - if I don't go with asparagus in some form, green beans are a contender - and it sounds as though you cook them much as I do, though I haven't tried adding breadcrumbs - great suggestion!

And I just saw a couple of other posts - but rather than revise the above, I am going with the idea of a potato leek gratin as Queen suggests.  I have never *had* one but it sounds heavenly.  I can do two gratin pans, to make that work - will look for recipes and welcome any.

Sautéed wild mushrooms.  Yesssssss, my precious. 

Rose red, I also love grilled peaches with vanilla ice cream.  We are a bit past the local peach season, but thank you for reminding me so I can see if there are still some good ones to be found!

Thank you all!  This is really helpful and much appreciated!

Mark Twain

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
Sauteed mushrooms
your favorite pasta
creme brulee (that might be fancier than you are thinking but that is always my favorite dessert)

buvezdevin

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Sauteed mushrooms
your favorite pasta
creme brulee (that might be fancier than you are thinking but that is always my favorite dessert)

Sharnita, thank you so much.  I could not agree more that creme brûlée is *always* great - and I can make the creme pots the day before, do the sugar burning right before serving and top them with grilled peaches (another thanks to Rose Red).  My favorite thing about this is that it will require little effort at the moment, but will be a lovely way to end the dinner on a special note.

Happy sighs.

I'm good, though will certainly welcome any other thoughts or suggestions.

Many, many thanks - I am so happy to have the input from you all!
Mark Twain

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
I love curried squash soup this time of year.

Just get a decent sized butternut squash, peel and cube it, peel and chop a few carrots, put them in a big pot with salt, pepper and curry powder, add vegetable broth to cover, simmer until the veggies are soft, then blend until smooth. I also like to add a bit of unsalted butter to my bowl for creaminess.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
Here is my recipe for potato leek gratin, which I have made many times.  It works with onion, too, if that is what you have.  This is enough for a 9 x 13 inch pan.

Potato Leek Gratin

4 cups half and half
2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced thinly [white parts]
3 lbs.  russet potatoes - about 6 - sliced thinly
salt - about 1 teas.
pepper - about 7 "grinds"
2 garlic cloves - minced/chopped
1/4 teas [big pinch] nutmeg

Combine in a large, heavy pot.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Pour half of mixture into buttered 9 x 13 pan.  Put about 6 oz or so of sliced deli Swiss cheese on top.  Pour the rest of the mixture in, and add another layer of cheese.  Dot with about 2 oz of butter on top of the cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour or so, until the middle is tender and the top is browned.  Don't cover, and don't overcook. 

I think that this could probably be made ahead and refrigerated before the baking, but I've never done that.  My husband loves this so much that he would be unhappy if I didn't bake it right away.

More half and half can be added as needed.  The potatoes should be covered to the bottom of the top layer at the beginning of the baking.

It sounds like you have a wonderful dinner planned.  Your guests will be really happy, and very full.

For what it's worth, here is my rule for desserts.  Something chocolate, and something not.   [Not chocolate, that is.] 

buvezdevin

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
I have a recipe for goat cheese, peas and leak Mac and cheese. It is delicious with steak. Add a green veggie and dinner is served.

I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.

Please excuse my missing this post earlier, that dish sounds amazing and I would love the recipe!
Mark Twain

buvezdevin

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
We halve a nice tomato and bake it with garlic. Then on the plate we add some good quality balsamic vinegar, just a drizzle.

As a southern US gal with an ardent and decades long love affair with fresh tomatoes (buying heirloom seeds and celebrating or mourning the success or failure of my tomato plants, or as my boyfriend aptly terms them, my "tomato babies"), there are few things which can be done with a tomato that I would not enjoy trying.

Do you bake the tomatoes and garlic together, but not combined, or do you combine in some way?
Mark Twain