Author Topic: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides  (Read 4286 times)

Redsoil

Re: Hosting a steak dinner as thank you, and looking for suggested sides
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »
Wha about something like this as nibblies prior to the main?  Looks really interesting, and sounds like it would taste good, though I've not tried it yet.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheesy_jalapeno_pull_bread/

Quote from site:  It's like a bread version of nachos. In the shape of a hedgehog. That you have to get your fingers messy with melted cheese to eat.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
B, here's my Potato Leek Gratin - feeds, in theory, 6 ppl.

2 tbl sweet butter
2 large leeks, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1.5 lbs peeled Yukon Gold
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 sprigs thyme
1 cup heavy cream
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup Gruyere, grated

Preheat to 350. Butter a 2 quart gratin dish. Wash the leeks and slice thinly crosswise.
Slice potatoes into thin rounds - 1/8" - (a mandoline helps). Toss with 1/2 of the salt and a pinch of the pepper. Layer in gratin dish.
Melt the butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, remaining salt & pepper, and thyme. Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Discard thyme; scatter leeks over the potatoes.
Add cream, garlic and bay leaf to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg; remove bay leaf.
Pour the cream over the leeks and potatoes; top with Gruyere. Cover with foil and transfer to oven. Bake for 40 minutes, uncover and bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden, about 15-20 minutes longer. Let cool slightly before serving.

Oh Joy

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
Hmmm...reading your posts and updates, you're looking for something special.  But when I do Big Beautiful Steaks and a Good Bottle of Red (yuuuuuuuuuum) I find we enjoy the meal most when I - with great restraint! - don't upstage the hunk of meat and the glass.

I usually just stick to really high quality versions of two or three of these:
* Fresh crunchy green salad
* Piping hot bread with herbed butter
* Steamed green vegetable (asparagus, broccoli, green beans - whatever looks fantastic) with black or lemon pepper
* Big baked potatoes (steakhouse style, coated in kosher salt and individually wrapped in foil)
* Sliced tomatoes with basalmic and olive oil (and maybe thin sliced onion or soft cheese).

To try something special, how about a beautiful display of toppings for the meat itself?
* Sauteed mushrooms (I saw that trips your trigger, too)
* Quality bleu cheese or gorgonzola crumbles
* Bits of crab meat
* Homemade steak sauce (think A-1)
* Other e-Hellion inspirations

Keep us posted on the final menu...there of several of us eating vicariously through you!   ;)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
On our annual camping trip the end of August, I make potatoes that are wrapped in foil and cooked on the barbecue.

Wash the potatoes, leaving the skin on.  Slice them or quarter them if they are small.  Take a piece of foil, spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.  Put down a layer of potatoes, a layer of sliced garlic, sliced wild leeks, a little seasoned salt and black pepper.  Put down another layer of potatoes, another layer of garlic and leeks and seasonings, add a good sized sprig of rosemary, a little butter or olive oil and a final layer of potatoes.  Wrap up in the foil, then put a second layer of foil around the whole thing, with the second seam on the opposite side of the packet.  Cook on the barbecue until tender.

You could substitute onion or shallots or regular leeks for the wild leeks.  I use them because they are abundant where we camp.  Or should I say rampant, since the other name they are known by is ramps.  Most people dig them in the spring when they can see leaves but we know how to find them in late summer/fall.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
I'll post it tonight.

NyaChan

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
I've always enjoyed gougeres for a light app.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
Baked potatoes and sauteed mushrooms.
Words mean things.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »
Twice baked potatoes and sauteed spinach.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »
You already listed my favorite side : wine ( deep bold red please)

Grilled prawns are fantastic side and make steak extra special. They are also a special grill friendly appetizer.

I might put my fancy stuff as apps and have just steak, greens and bread as the meal ( did I mention the wine already?)

OK I might need to fire up the BBQ myself after reading this thread.

TZ

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
If you and your guests like spicy food, these potatoes are awesome:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/deluxe-twice-baked-potatoes-with-shrimp-recipe/index.html

I recommend cutting the butter in half and eliminating the mayo completely. They're both unnecessary. You can buy the cajun seasoning, but I prefer to use the Commander's Palace recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Creole-Seafood-Seasoning-104680

We had these with steaks and asparagus the last time we had dinner guests, and they were the best thing I have ever made. I also made a couple without shrimp and cajun seasoning to accommodate for shellfish allergies and people with an aversion to spicy food.

sweetonsno

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:56 AM »
I haven't had steak in about ten years, but I did used to eat them on occasion (and always with enthusiasm). I'm not sure how much the cut matters in deciding on the cooking style or sides (I'm remembering my old favorite, which was a less manly cut), but here are my ideas:

The traditional
- Wedge salad
- Steak, cooked to desired doneness
- Baked potatoes with all the trimmings (butter, sour cream, chives/scallions, bacon bits)
- Creamed spinach (prrr)
- Chocolate lava cake (just get a mix) a la mode

The heart attack (my favorite)
- Mixed greens with fennel and a snappy, mustardy vinaigrette
- Steak, peppercorn style (have an extra pile of caramelized shallots to put on top of the steaks and a bathtub of the sauce)
- Mashed potatoes (garlic'ed if you desire)
- Creamed spinach with melted leeks and sundried tomatoes
- Creme brulee (the best I ever had had slices of fresh strawberry baked in and I actually hit people with my spoon to keep them away. . . not eHell-approved, but justified, I promise!)

The twist
- Wedge salad, made with grilled romaine instead of iceberg (grill only the cut sides over high heat just long enough to leave marks)
- Steak, again cooked as desired (top with some herbed butter)
- Twice-baked potatoes (top with cheese before you toss under the broiler, bring extra sour cream and chives to the table)
- Creamed kale (cook the kale until very tender in white wine, butter, and lemon sauce, then add dill and cream)
- Individual chocolate fondues or a selection of truffles

A bit out-there, but why not:
- The steak, done as you desire
- Red-eye gravy (usually goes with ham or roast beef, but I bet it'd be good on steak)
- Grits, cheesy or plain
- Collards
- Corn spoonbread
- Chocolate pudding

That was fun to think about, thanks!

Isometric

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 01:05:22 AM »
Definitely agree with potatoes!

Roasted potatoes with rosemary - chuck the potatoes, fresh rosemary, chopped garlic & some olive oil together and roast, yummy!

Honey carrots with sesame seeds, roasted pumpkin & parsnips. A salad with creamy dressing, maybe with pumpkin (I just love pumpkin!)

Agree with hot, fresh bread. It's easy to make, if you're up for it! Just need time for the yeast to do it's magic. (Google easy home made bread)

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
When we do steaks, we usually do twice baked potatoes with cheddar, sour cream, bacon bits and chives, along with pan roasted asparagus with toasted garlic, lemon and shredded mozzarella, and sauteed mushrooms and onions.  I do an herb butter to put on the steaks, then cover the steaks with the mushrooms and onions when they're off the grill.  And crescent rolls (yes, the ones from the tube - they just "fit" with that kind of meal - this is our comfort food orgy meal.

It also may be the reason my husband married me. :D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »
I love mushroom risotto with steaks with grilled asparagus. 

I also like au gratin potatos with blue cheese or Roquefort.

Mikayla

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
Wow, I feel like bookmarking this thread!  Tons of great ideas.

Here's my thoughts.  If you want more grillable ideas, my fave is veggie kabobs.  I just baste them with oil (usually canola), salt/pepper and then grill.  The nicest combo for color is thick onion slices, bell pepper, mushrooms and tomatoes.  I've found that quarters work best, or even halves of a roma tomato.

Also, one of my favorite alltime veggies is sweet creamed corn.  You just remove it from the cobs, making sure to add the "milk" into the pan.  Then add a little butter, cream, salt and pepper. 

ETA:  This is the closest to what I do, but I don't use bacon grease.  I don't want anything taking away from that pure corn flavor!:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/neelys/southern-creamed-corn-recipe/index.html

An easy salad is get some quality mixed greens, sprinkle good quality blue cheese over and then add some chopped or whole walnuts.  Sprinkle with balsamic and pepper.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:20:21 PM by Mikayla »