Author Topic: Seasonal Foods  (Read 1704 times)

NyaChan

Re: Seasonal Foods
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 12:12:36 PM »
LOL This thread cracks me up - when i read this title I was like Cadbury Creme Eggs!  Candy Corn! Pumpkin shaped Reese's!  Red & Green & White Mint M&Ms!  Then I clicked and people are like pumpkin, kale, concord grapes!   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
LOL This thread cracks me up - when i read this title I was like Cadbury Creme Eggs!  Candy Corn! Pumpkin shaped Reese's!  Red & Green & White Mint M&Ms!  Then I clicked and people are like pumpkin, kale, concord grapes!   ;D

I used to think that, but then Peeps and Starburst jelly beans became available year-round and I don't have to crave them anymore  :P

alkira6

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
Eggnog - the horrible processed stuff that is sold in the carton at grocery stores.  I love that stuff with amaretto and I even stick it in the ice cream maker and make soft serve ice cream with it.

winter squash and greens - roasted squash (all kinds!) with olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper is a meal in and of itself for me.  I've also made a deal with my mom -  I pick and wash the greens, she cooks and makes the cornbread. My greens always taste like slimy dirt, so it works out well for me  ;D

apples of all kinds - we have an orchard nearby that is pick your own, so we are absolutely gluttons with apples for a month or two. I also put up apple butter, apple jelly, dried apple, and make apple cake.  Yes, it is all apples, all the time  ;)

potatoes. yes, potatoes. for some reason they adn turnips always taste better to me in the fall/winter after it's been cold for a few weeks.  We leave them in the ground and dig up as needed/wanted and they always taste better to me in dec/jan. carrots too to a certain extent, but those usually get eaten as babies, so not too many survive for winter eating.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Right now it's apple cider and zucchini/squash.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
English apples.  ;D
NE England

clio917

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »
Mmmm fresh apple cider... And Honeycrisp apples. We just picked the first two off of our tree and they were heavenly!

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
Chestnuts are going to be in season soon, if they're not already.  They're sort of a pain to work with, but we love 'em!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
Anybody else seen the commercial for Cadbury Screme eggs?  They seem to have a Hallowe'en version out.  I think they are very similar to the Creme eggs but the filling is green, rather than looking like an egg.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
Yes!  I stumbled across those in the store last week, and bought a bunch of them.  I saw the commercial after that.  The only difference between these and the Easter ones is the green coloring.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
I may have to buy a couple...  I had the bloodwork done for my annual physical last week so I'm all good to load up on the cholesterol and sugar now.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

NyaChan

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 04:25:48 PM »
I totally had one :)  It was basically the original with a green yolk.  I immediately went to Dr. Seuss world though, not so much the Halloween.