Author Topic: Scariest book/ghost story you've ever read  (Read 8568 times)

Aria

Re: Scariest book/ghost story you've ever read
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »
"Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill was a pretty scary book, and very well written.

As for movies: I've seen a lot of horror movies, but the only ones that I thought were really scary were "The Ring" (despite all the plot holes) and "The Strangers." Well, I also thought "The Blob" was terrifying, but that was when I was in elementary school.  ;)

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »
The only book that has truly bothered me to the point where I had trouble sleeping is Suffer the Children by John Saul. 

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 03:05:44 PM »
Shirley Jackson, "The Lottery". 

I

I love that short story.  I did not see the ending coming and it left me actually speechless. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 03:10:30 PM »
Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M R James.

Some of Robert E Howard's horror stories are good- Pigeons from Hell is an absolute classic.

Guy de Maupasson has some good ones as well.

Sabine Baring Gould's Book of Ghosts

Amyas Northcote's short stories.

Henry James, The Turn of the Screw.

I'm sure I'll think of more...
NE England

Amalthea

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
Fantastic recs.  Thanks. I think I'll start with The Shining. Is it good all the way through?  I read IT several years ago, and the ending kind of ruined it for me.

I should have put this in my OP, but here's my favorite internet ghost story. http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Jane

Aria

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
I liked that story, Amalthea! It kind of reminded me of some YouTube videos/short stories I watched a while back by thelittlefears. I particularly liked "The Portraits" and "A Trick of the Light."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
the original short story "The Birds" by Daphne DuMaurier - which Hitchcock based his movie on.  Again, the unknown, because if I remember correctly, there was no explanation for WHY the birds went berserk, and the story just kind of ended and sort of left you hanging.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:47 PM »
Tame by today's standards, but.....
I remember being about 12 or 13 years old and going to the midnight show at the theater on Halloween (this would be about 1952).  They would show maybe 3 scary movies.  I remember one of them was The Mummy with Boris Karloff and when I got home I was just scared sick by it.  Plus, we had to walk home from the show.  Gosh, it gave me major creeps.  I remember being in bed wide awake, scared out of my wits.  While you're watching it with your sisters, friends and cousins it seems "HA-HA...I ain't scared, you guys!!!" but by the time you get home and are all alone in bed....Woooooooooooooooooooooo....Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo....
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Lexophile

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
The Exorcist. I know it's mainstream, but this book scared the living daylights out o fme. Partly because it's based on a true story.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

doodlemor

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »
the original short story "The Birds" by Daphne DuMaurier - which Hitchcock based his movie on.  Again, the unknown, because if I remember correctly, there was no explanation for WHY the birds went berserk, and the story just kind of ended and sort of left you hanging.

Daphne du Maurier wrote some wonderful stories of suspense, both novels and short stories.  Her novel Rebecca isn't a ghost story, but is a wonderful novel with a lot of suspense that is hard to put down once you start reading.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
The Exorcist. I know it's mainstream, but this book scared the living daylights out o fme. Partly because it's based on a true story.
The movie had me on edge for a few months.  Honestly, it was the worst most sickening, scarey thing I have seen.   :o
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Hillia

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
M. R. James has some of the most horrifying stories I've ever read, with no gore or things jumping out of closets.  'Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to You' springs to mind, but really anything he wrote is wonderful. 

The original movie of 'The Haunting', made in the 60's (the Owen Wilson thing is awful).  There's never a visible monster, although you do hear things. Terrifying.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

magician5

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
Stephen King's Salem's Lot ... terrifying!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
Tame by today's standards, but.....
I remember being about 12 or 13 years old and going to the midnight show at the theater on Halloween (this would be about 1952).  They would show maybe 3 scary movies.  I remember one of them was The Mummy with Boris Karloff and when I got home I was just scared sick by it.  Plus, we had to walk home from the show.  Gosh, it gave me major creeps.  I remember being in bed wide awake, scared out of my wits.  While you're watching it with your sisters, friends and cousins it seems "HA-HA...I ain't scared, you guys!!!" but by the time you get home and are all alone in bed....Woooooooooooooooooooooo....Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Is anyone flashing back to Bill Cosby's story of staying too late at the movie theatre (the boys were too scared to come out from under the seats), then having to walk home? "Oooh, Weird Harold! It's ten o'clock! Ten o'clock is when the monsters come out...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »
This may not be a particularly popular book, but Ghosts of Sleath really freaked me. An entire village where people are haunted by the ghosts of the people who did the worst things to them - a girl haunted by the pedophile who abused her, a woman haunted by her dead husband (who also killed their son), etc.