Author Topic: Scariest book/ghost story you've ever read  (Read 8314 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Scariest book/ghost story you've ever read
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
I kind of collect ghost stories - mainly Victorian and Edwardian ones. M. R. James is one of my absolute favourites. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle also has a couple of very good ghost stories. And then there's Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, of course.

For modern writers, Susan Hill has written some excellent ghost stories. The most famous, I suppose, is "The Woman in Black", which has been made into a movie recently (which I have not gone to see, because the book's ending freaked me out enough...). And there are also "The Mist in the Mirror", "The Man in the Picture" and "The Small Hand". A new one ("Dolly") has just been released, but I haven't read it yet.

The new movie is a remake of the original, which, incidentally, the man who plays Harry Potter's father in the Harry Potter series, was the protagonist, and Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter, ended up playing the role of the protagonist in the remake. I guess that's a bit creepy too!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Petticoats

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
I kind of collect ghost stories - mainly Victorian and Edwardian ones. M. R. James is one of my absolute favourites. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle also has a couple of very good ghost stories. And then there's Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, of course.

For modern writers, Susan Hill has written some excellent ghost stories. The most famous, I suppose, is "The Woman in Black", which has been made into a movie recently (which I have not gone to see, because the book's ending freaked me out enough...). And there are also "The Mist in the Mirror", "The Man in the Picture" and "The Small Hand". A new one ("Dolly") has just been released, but I haven't read it yet.

The new movie is a remake of the original, which, incidentally, the man who plays Harry Potter's father in the Harry Potter series, was the protagonist, and Daniel Radcliffe, who played Harry Potter, ended up playing the role of the protagonist in the remake. I guess that's a bit creepy too!

The new film strays further from the book, and--I think--is the better for it. I was furious at the ending of the book, and the new film version finds a more emotionally satisfying ending.

Skip Susan Hill's The Man in the Picture. So much potential, but the story is all over the place and ultimately goes nowhere. What was particularly frustrating--and distracting--was trying to figure out when the book's action (and flashbacks) took place, and finding what seemed to be contradictory clues.

KimberlyM

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
This thread has been my reading list the last couple weeks.  I read the Haunting of Hill House, which I thought was good, but didn't really scare me, then I read The Oath which was again, good, though more strange than scary, but I guess dragons are too far from reality to scare me much.  I'm 3/4 of the way through Heart Shaped Box right now...I didn't think it was scaring me, but then I realized yesterday that I had been hearing things all day and had been up checking rooms and out windows pretty much all day.  It's taking me much longer to read than most books and I think it's because I keep putting it down.  It's giving me the creeps subconsciously!

I have a couple more waiting before my next trip to the library!

I've read all the Stephen King books and the Shinning was the only one that really freaked me out.  There was a Dean Koontz one I read recently that gave me nightmares, but I can't remember which one it was! 

I'm surprised by how few of these my library has....kinda ticks me off.   

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:53 PM »
Dang y'all!  Checked out The Dionaea House and ended up getting sucked into Marble Hornets.

Haha...oh Slenderman.

For those who don't know: Slenderman is a creation of the comedy forum Something Awful.

I am a Something Awful forums goon, and I remember clearly when Slenderman was created. It was a thread called "Photoshop Paranormal Images." The thread started out all right, but then someone posted the first Slenderman picture. And then the entire thread derailed. It went from "Post Paranormal Images" to "Post Slenderman." Since I never found Slenderman scary in the first in the first place, I was a bit annoyed.

And now Slenderman is everwhere and it's incredibly weird. I still don't like him, though.

Edit - er, and I'm not slamming you for liking him! Sorry if it sounded like that. I just thought it was funny trivia about Slendy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:24:08 PM by Solanna Dryden »
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
The Stand and Salem's Lot both have a section that was the creepiest thing in the book to me.  The part explaining how it (the disease/vampirism) got transferred from person to person.  They creeped me out because it just seemed so possible.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2012, 12:24:06 AM »
I'm grateful for the post about Susan Hill's other ghost stories.  I LIKED "The Man in The Picture".  I didn't scare the complete bejabbers out of me, but it haunted me for quite a while. 

Peter M., you brought back a funny memory about "THEM!" :  the movie was showing on one of the local channels a looooooong time ago when all one had was local channels and nothing much was in color.  We were watching the movie at our house and were at the part where the ants had gotten to the drains and sewers of underground Los Angeles.  And the phone rang.

It was my grandmother who said to my mother "Have you been watching the news?  What's this about giant ants in the sewers of Los Angeles?"  She'd taken a nap because of the heat that day and she woke up just in time to hear the news reporters in the movie talking about the giant ant incursion.

In the background, Mom could hear my uncle saying "Ma, it's just a movie!"

Eventually everyone started laughing and couldn't stop and my grandmother made a point of turning the television set off if she was going to take a nap.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2012, 12:31:54 AM »
The Amityville Horror.  I read lots of scary/horror books (especially true stories) and I don't know why that one scares me the most.  I can't keep it in the house (remember Friends Joey keeping The Shining in the freezer?  I know how he feels.)

I don't care if it's a hoax, it's darn scary.

Reminds me of two things:

In M.R. James' short story "The Mezzotint" (the first real ghost story I ever read and which terrified me for days on end) the protagonist takes the etching he's purchased and which is revealing to him a horrifying  story he'd rather not know and, with picture between thumb and forefinger, he walks it across the hallway to his "other set of rooms kept as an office" and puts the picture into a drawer in a desk, face down, placing (I think) a book on top of it.  Then he locks the drawer, shoves furniture in front of it and then locks the door to those rooms as well.  In later years I was able to appreciate the humor in that scene (and James makes clear that he's having a bit of fun at his character's expense) but in the seventh grade, all I remembered was the Shape as it creeps across the lawn.

What makes me laugh about Joey and the fridge, is that, I had purchased some H.P. Lovecraft for a friend's birthday.  I had never read Lovecraft before and so was tempted.  I remember something about a hill that ate hunters climbing up to it and a few happy others like that.  I took all three books, but them by my front door, face down, and then piled on two copies of the encyclopedia plus a bible.  I decided I was insane until, a few years later at a Horror Convention, I met a woman who had done the same thing and with the same book.

I don't know if I felt less crazy, but I was glad to know other people did that.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
Wanted to add to the scary story list:

Joe Lansdale's "The Folded Man"  (or is it folding?).  Three friends and their dog, out for a night drive encounter three "nunlike" creatures whose legs give the impression that they bend "the other way".  The title character is in the trunk....along with what might be a very deviant vulture.  Warning:  gross, gorey, dog doesn't survive and breath takingly scary.  I don't live anywhere near a desert, but I slept with the lights on for a week afterwards...just in case.

LadyMisha

« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!