Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012!  (Read 9587 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: NaNoWriMo 2012!
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
I have so much written down in my notebook, just haven't typed it up yet, so I don't know what my word count is :/  I'll have time to type it up tomorrow as Mental Boyfriend won't be home so I won't have to spend time cooking dinner.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
i am 4,000 words behind. soon to be 5,667 though, because i don't feel like writing at all -_-

AngelicGamer

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
If anyone is on twitter and think it would help with their writing, look for @NaNoWordSprints.  Sometimes I sprint with them and sometimes their prompts for the sprint give me a plot bunny for later.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »
If anyone is on twitter and think it would help with their writing, look for @NaNoWordSprints.  Sometimes I sprint with them and sometimes their prompts for the sprint give me a plot bunny for later.  :)

thanks just followed them

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »
How's everyone else doing? I'm getting a bit concerned, since next week I'm not going to be around much, and I haven't managed to get as far ahead as I needed. On the other hand, I have got another 10K words written I can add in once I've finished the joining scene.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
I'm ahead of schedule for the 50K and on track for the 100K I usually aim for.

Oh, and I'm on track for the novel to be around 90K.  :)

faithlessone

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2012, 04:13:07 AM »
I didn't manage to write at all yesterday or Tuesday (as I guessed), so I'm hoping for at least 5k today.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
I managed to type up a lot of what I'd written down, but I still have a good 1000 words to go.  I have spurts of lots of writing to make up for the days I can't (like the next couple of days).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2012, 11:16:15 AM »
i am so far behind everyone it is not even funny >.<

Talley

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »
I'm still ahead for getting to 50k, but behind where I wanted to be... My only excuse is that I've been sick for the last few days. Today I'm feeling better, but totally unmotivated. I'm also having a few problems with my story, which is not very interesting at the moment. :-\

Jones

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2012, 11:47:13 AM »
I feel very long winded and detailed, which is good for word count but frustrating on a "get the story going" basis. I missed the last two days, as on Tuesday I did not have the time and yesterday I was unmotivated. I did watch "Equilibrium" before bed though, which I count as research for my own post apocalyptic novel.

faithlessone

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
*hugs everyone*

After two days of absolutely nothing, I've already written 2,600 words today, so I'm feeling a bit better. Hoping beyond hope to hit 20k today (another 3,400 words), but it's looking a little unlikely. 18k would also be nice (still 1,400 away).

AngelicGamer

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
*gets out the cookies and hot beverages of choice for everyone*  I think we need a pep talk from the archives of NaNo.

Neil Gaiman's Pep Talk.

And if Neil Gaiman doesn't float your boat, here is the archive of past pep talks.

For everyone that feels that they are too far behind, I believe you're going to make it.  It might look like a long battle, but I've been where you are.  In 2008, I lost a week of NaNo due to being sick and exhausted from a long volunteer opportunity.  When I could sit up, I tried to just get out 50 words.  If I could do that while feeling like crud, then it was a victory to me.  As I got better, I was able to write more and more words.  So, if you feel like you can't do anything, then try to write 50 words.  Then, make room for more of the 50 word sessions and, when you're able, try to up it to 100 words. 

Also, that works for anyone who is having problems trying to get the words out.  It's one of my favorite exercises and it works like this: Open your novel / chapter file in your word processor and write 50 words  If they go well, do another 50. If they don't, give it ten minutes to see if you can get a better replacement 50 or an additional 50 you feel is good enough to keep. And then you can shut the file and do whatever you want as long as it's pleasant. You did something on your novel, you deserve a reward. If you're enticed to go back to the novel, great. But try hard not to let the next 24 hours (or preferably today) end without 50 new words in your novel. It really doesn't matter if you dislike them and might delete them later, just make an honest effort.

Of course, if you feel you can't do 50 or think 50 is too low, substitute your goal of choice.  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
Good pep talk! It reminded me of one of the strategies I use.

On days I know I won't have time to write, or when I have a bunch of free time but no way to write (like in the car or on the bus), I think about my plot and exactly where I want it to go. I know I want Gavin to go North, but how and why? OK, so he'll go because the King sends him, but why? I have two options of why Gavin goes, so I pick one and go with it; if what I think of doesn't satisfy me, I think about the other one. What this comes down to is that even if I'm not writing, I'm still working on my novel.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
i'm too busy writing papers to write! Why oh why did my teacher have to assign two papers due in two days!?