Author Topic: REquests from customer that make your day  (Read 2865 times)

Only me

Re: REquests from customer that make your day
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
OP here,

All these stories are great. Keep them coming.

Me me me

Nikko-chan

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:14 PM »
Alright, I have one. One day I was working, doing something or other (I worked at a local grocery store, but at the time I wasn't at the till). So this guy comes up and asks for biscuits. Okay... sure. "They're in aisle one," I say helpfully. The wheels start to turn.... "Wait a moment sir... do you mean like, for breakfast?"

"No no," he tells me. "Like for peanut butter-- you know, biscuits."

A few moments pass, and I notice the man has an accent. Lightbulb suddenly goes off. "Do you mean crackers?"

"Yes, crackers. I'm not from here so I call them biscuits."

I helpfully pointed him towards the right place, and later when he came through my line, I found out he was from Jamaica.   :D

rain

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
I've a few stories

When I worked at a small college clothing store one of the men (looked like a grandpa) who worked at the Mexican restaurant next door came in & was trying to get some help, but spoke no English.  I have extremely limited Spanish - but I was still able to ask ?bambito, bambita, chico, chica? to find out what sex/age he was shopping for.  He was so happy that I was willing to help him the best I was able - after that he'd look for me when he wanted to buy something else.

At a different branch of the college store an Asian woman came in with her son (about 3 yr old), but she was speaking German to him.  He wandered off from her & she didn't realize it.  I walked up to him and told him (in German) that we needed to go to his mom.

When I worked at a large department store we had a a couple of women from Germany come to my register,  and one was trying to explain something to the other one - as her English was limited, I explained the best I could in German  - as it wasn't busy we talked for a bit
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

CuriousParty

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »
I think I've told this story here before but it's perfect for this thread.

At my first "real" job I was working the cash at a fast food restaurant.  A man came to my line and handed me a written list - this wasn't unusual so I didn't think anything of it, but we were out of one of the items, so I told him so.  When I looked up for his response, he looked miserable, then pointed at his ears, shaking his head, indicating that he couldn't hear.

So I signed, "Do you know sign language?"  I tell you, the light that came across his face!  He nodded, I flung the list over my shoulder, and we proceeded with his order as usual.  In the course of this, I discovered that his friends were waiting in the car for the food.  He had been assigned to come get the food as practice or something - he didn't like placing his own orders or interacting with strangers, because it often turned awkward, and his friends (and possibly also he) thought he should "just do it" as a way of getting more comfortable.

Anyway, I was able to help him fill the order and make the whole process a little easier, and he seemed so happy to find someone who could converse with him - it really made my day.

gmatoy

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »
I think I've told this story here before but it's perfect for this thread.

At my first "real" job I was working the cash at a fast food restaurant.  A man came to my line and handed me a written list - this wasn't unusual so I didn't think anything of it, but we were out of one of the items, so I told him so.  When I looked up for his response, he looked miserable, then pointed at his ears, shaking his head, indicating that he couldn't hear.

So I signed, "Do you know sign language?"  I tell you, the light that came across his face!  He nodded, I flung the list over my shoulder, and we proceeded with his order as usual.  In the course of this, I discovered that his friends were waiting in the car for the food.  He had been assigned to come get the food as practice or something - he didn't like placing his own orders or interacting with strangers, because it often turned awkward, and his friends (and possibly also he) thought he should "just do it" as a way of getting more comfortable.

Anyway, I was able to help him fill the order and make the whole process a little easier, and he seemed so happy to find someone who could converse with him - it really made my day.

So, I'm a substitute teacher and this reminds me of a story. I knew about three words of sign language, but I got asked to stay at a school for the afternoon in a class for hearing impaired students. (The job I had been contracted for had been for the morning only.) I agreed and while there the wonderful paraprofessionals helped me with signing for the children and taught me a few more signs.
The next week, I was in another building. The deaf grandmother of a student needed assistance and I was able to sign to her and be a little bet helpful.

You better believe that I made sure to tell the women who had taught me those words!