Author Topic: S/o favourite silly poems...Favourite Silly Songs!  (Read 3267 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: S/o favourite silly poems...Favourite Silly Songs!
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 12:56:31 AM »
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!
His name is my name too!
Whenever we go out,
The people always shout,
"There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!"
Da - da - da - da - da - dada!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

marcel

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:31 AM »
For all the Monty Python songs here. I am a Monty Python fan myself, but I find their songs mostly funny instead of silly.

The first thing that comes to mind for me, when talking about silly songs is punky's dilemma

Wish I was a Kellogg's Cornflake
Floatin' in my bowl takin' movies,
Relaxin' awhile, livin' in style,
Talkin' to a raisin who 'casion'ly plays L.A.,
Casually glancing at his toupee.

Wish I was an English muffin
'Bout to make the most out of a toaster.

I'd ease myself down,
Comin' up brown

Wherever you go..... There you are.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
"On Ilkley Moore Baht At." (Up the ducks!)

I've heard a Yorkshire countryman speak. He was even less intelligible than that song.  (Duck soup, anyone?)

Bagman asked me recently, "What language is that song, anyway?"
Me: "Um, it's English."

The only part of the chorus that is blatantly Geordie is the "Baht At" ("without a hat"). The "On Ilkley Moor" part is plain old English. But when you have a roomful of people singing (which is how the song is generally sung), the whole thing can sound a bit like gibberish.

We were at a pub sing tonight and a fellow was doing some Scottish songs that could have used American English subtitles. He is an American of Scottish descent, but he can lay the accent on thick. Several of us were trying to figure out what a "sour milk church" is.

Just thought of a couple more: "Sweet Violets" and the Harry Belafonte song "Man Piaba" (which I will forever think of as "that song about the woman's pajamas and the man's pajamas").
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »

Found a Peanut

Where were you located when you learned it?  I sing the 'just now' version as well (learned it in Washington State), but I have been told by people from Pennsylvania that I sing it wrong and it's "last night".

GreenHall

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
Little Bunny Foo Foo...
Sadly my appreciation is probably heightened by the fact that I sang it so much (25+/- years ago) that my mother forbade singing it...
I was reminded of this recently when my cat brought me a field mouse. (That was my 5am, I shouldn't be up yet, ID anyway...)

oogyda

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Soft Kitty (this version <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ni74dcSOG8M?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Song That Never Ends.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

marcel

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »
For all the Monty Python songs here. I am a Monty Python fan myself, but I find their songs mostly funny instead of silly.

I have to come back to this statement, I just remembered the Monty Python llama song, and that one is just plain and simple silly.

Man: (but in Spanish with subtitles in English) The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

Guitarist & Dancer: Llamas are larger than frogs.

Man: Llamas are dangerous, so if you see one where people are swimming, you shout...

Guitarist & Dancer: Look out, there are llamas
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
Ah yes. The Bob Rivers 'Twisted Christmas' album.  We loved that one until the tape broke... 

'And he'll be there every Christmas'. 

wendelenn

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
I love a lot of these that have been mentioned, but I'd like to give a shout out to Tom Lehrer. His stuff is great!
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
I still can't hink of he one about bumbershoots in my post number 8 in this thread, but I remember the one called Any Umbrellas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHxS7cLEjc

There is also the one about  "Your red scarf matches your eyes, loving you has made me bananas..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5oaxyMt0I
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
'Your red scarf matches your eyes.
You close your cover before striking.
Mother had the ship-fitter blues.
Loving you has made me bananas'.

Wouldn't it be neat if that tune turned up as a quick-step on 'Dancing With the Stars?'

I miss the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
The Cat Came Back...the very next day
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »
My 16 yo DS pulled out our Silly Songs by Larry VeggieTales C D this week.  We were both able to sing right along again!