Author Topic: TED lectures  (Read 740 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
TED lectures
« on: October 11, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »
I'm not putting this in entertainment because it is something you can do on the internet and it doesn't fall into that, for me. 

Anyway....I heard someone talking about the TED Lectures today.  It's a series of video lectures that you can watch about any number of subjects. 

I just wondered if anyone here had heard about them.  They sound very interesting.  I found and bookmarked the site today and am going to start exploring them. 

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Pippen

Re: TED lectures
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:53 AM »
A friend showed me a vid a few months ago but I had forgotten the name of the site. Thanks for the reminder.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:37:34 AM »
I've watched a few on Netflix, they were quite interesting. It was the series Chew on This. There are a few different series featured there.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Nox

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
Yep. I heard about them some time ago and head over there every so often to watch something when I have the time. They've got some really interesting speakers and topics. It's definitely worth poking around the site.

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:14:11 AM »
I adore the Ted lectures.  My particular favourites are Alain De Botton, Brene Brown and Nigel Marsh.

Saffy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »
Yes, I have the app on my phone and will often watch one when I have a short amount of time to kill. I think they're a brilliant idea.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
I love love love the TED lectures.  I often have one running when I am doing some mundane, repetitive task on the computer.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
Now I'm even more glad that I heard about them and asked you guys if you knew of them.  I can't wait to start poking around.
I wonder if the site would be appropriate for high school students (13 and 16).  I want to suggest them to the kids as a place to find interesting stuff.
Thanks for the specific suggestions about the lecturers, too.  Now I have a starting point.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Spriggy

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
I love listening to some of the TED talks!

The place I work at (art museum) holds simulcast viewing of the national TED talks.  Very distracting on those days - I always want to sneak into the auditorium and watch instead of do my job!

There are also locally held TED events.  Our museum director gave a speech at our local TED event.  If you are interested in these talks, you might try and find a local TED event.  But if you do want to go to a local on, get your tickets as soon as possible.  I know locally our TED events always sell out.