Author Topic: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15, #26 #35! Shoes? #44  (Read 5967 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
DD#2 is going to a wedding (her BFbob's stepbrother) in 2 weeks. She's not sure of the time of the ceremony ::) but says that it's an evening reception.

BFbob will be wearing a suit and tie.

We really don't shop well together . . . I don't like shopping, I usually tend to get a bit cranky :P . . . so I thought that you all could help her pick out age/event appropriate dresses that aren't mom-biased.

She has one possible dress that is white with black polka-dots, trimmed with black around the bodice and hem. It is satiny material, strapless with a low laced-up back. So she will need a shrug or bolero type jacket if she wears this dress. Any thoughts here would also be very helpful.

Her dress shoes are black (I'd rather not buy a new pair of shoes) and she has a really nice dressy pair of brown boots.

She is tall, slender and 18-1/2 years old.

Anybody feel like shopping?

;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:48:27 PM by jpcher »

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
This sounds like a good excuse for her to go out with some friends!
Utah

sourwolf

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »

I agree. Much more fun than having mom get someone to pick it out for her!  Besides, tastes are so subjective it would be an exercise in futility for a bunch of strangers to try and find something for her.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:34:46 PM by sourwolf »

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »
Northeast? So, late October autumn weather.

The dress you described sounds perfect. Obviously, no all-white dresses, but other than that ...

Young ladies her age often like strapless and mid-thigh, so go in that direction. Nothing too racy, and she should be comfortable dancing in it. This time of year I'd go with a jewel-tone - sapphire, garnet, emerald - all of which go well with black shoes. A wrap of some sort for the church and to keep the chill off - they have great ones at Uniqlo in the garden State Plaza.

How about sending her shopping with her sister and a budget?

Update: J Crew has some nice ones

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 06:47:45 PM »
Here are a couple of very affordable (the last one is on sale for less then $40!), age appropriate, trendy, wedding appropriate dresses that I think would look lovely on a slender young woman:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/modern-bride/bridesmaid-dresses/lilianna-strapless-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001720044&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&Nao=48&pN=3&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion|&dimComboVal=special+occasion|&currentDim=Occasion&currentDimVal=special+occasion

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/modern-bride/bridesmaid-dresses/lilianna-strapless-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001710082&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&Nao=48&pN=3&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion|&dimComboVal=special+occasion|&currentDim=Occasion&currentDimVal=special+occasion

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/categories/dresses/view-all/american-living-one-shoulder-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001360067&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion|&dimComboVal=special+occasion|&currentDim=Occasion&currentDimVal=special+occasion

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/categories/dresses/view-all/scarlett-nite-embellished-one-shoulder-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001260171&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&Nao=72&pN=4&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion|&dimComboVal=special+occasion|&currentDim=Occasion&currentDimVal=special+occasion

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/categories/dresses/view-all/dj-jaz-all-over-sequin-dress-with-open-back/prod.jump?ppId=1e5ea6d&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&Nao=120&pN=6&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion|&dimComboVal=special+occasion|&currentDim=Occasion&currentDimVal=special+occasion

Isometric

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Tall, slender and 18... Hmm, she could wear just about anything!

The dress she already has sounds lovely. I tend to stick to no shorter than knee length (or just above) for a wedding, with minimal/no cleavage.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
I would advise against her wearing a white satin dress to a wedding.
Words mean things.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »

LOL! That's what I thought! Give me an escape! ;D However there's only a few friends left that haven't gone off to college.

DD#2 has a late thing at school tonight, so she won't be home 'till close to 9:00, tomorrow she's going to her newly found internship after school, blah blah blah, her schedule is pretty well full.

So I thought doing some on-line shopping where we can call the store to make sure it's in stock or order on line would be easiest.

How about sending her shopping with her sister and a budget?

Thank you Queen. I did mention that to DD#2. I don't know if she talked to her sister or not, but the only day that their schedules might mesh is Sunday. Maybe DD#1 could come home for the day. That would be cool.

Thanks for the above suggestions! I will send all of your ideas to DD#2.

I think that DD#2 will like this one (from WillyNilly) http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/categories/dresses/view-all/scarlett-nite-embellished-one-shoulder-dress/prod.jump?ppId=pp5001260171&catId=cat100210008&deptId=dept20000013&N=4294966971&Nao=72&pN=4&topDim=Occasion&topDimvalue=special+occasion&dimCombo=Occasion

but will that be appropriate for the church ceremony?

This is what I've found . . .

1.   http://www.amazon.com/Jax-Womens-Satin-Tone-Dress/dp/B0060OT3EE/ref=pd_sbs_a_16

2.   http://www.amazon.com/Lindy-Bop-Vintage-Collared-Evening/dp/B008N92U8A/ref=sr_1_68?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1349218499&sr=1-68&keywords=dresses+evening (This is an inside joke. ;))

3.   http://www.amazon.com/London-Times-Womens-Jersey-Shutter/dp/B0084DJN0S/ref=sr_ap_fbt_0

4.   http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Wear-Womens-Audra-Dress/dp/B0084YJYN8/ref=pd_sbs_a_42 (I really like this one, I just wish it came in a different color.)

5.  http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Designer-Pleated-Evening-Cocktail/dp/B004OAIUUY/ref=sr_1_46_mc?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1349220048&sr=1-46 (Not too crazy about the style, but I like the colors.)

I haven't had much luck finding a jacket/shrug for the polka-dot dress that she already has.

Please, keep your thoughts and ideas coming!  ;D

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
I think the blue dress WillyNilly found  is lovely and, like the dress she has that you described, a jacket or shrug wouldn't work well (for church or chill). However, a pashmina or other shawl would! A silvery color, or cream, or black - something she would have forever and use again and again. You can find them everywhere - I've seen them at TJMaxx, J Crew, department stores, etc.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:13:20 AM »

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:24 AM »
The style that WillyNilly posted, especially that pretty one shoulder one, is very different from the ones OP posted in her links in the next post.  Which style does your dd like?  Like others said, style is so subjective.  But I second what the others said, I would shy away from a white satin dress with black polka dots.  For staying under budget and a wide variety, I also suggest the TJ Maxx or Marshalls route.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:47:30 AM »
I would advise against her wearing a white satin dress to a wedding.

Normally I agree but I think an 18 year old in a white with black polka dots & black trim and wearing a shrug or wrap or bolero over it would be ok.  All white?  No, but with the pattern, etc especially at what is for the most part in the US considered way too young to really be thinking about marriage age, I don't think anyone will think of it in that "stealing the bride's thunder" kinda way.

jpcher, I really like your 3, 4 & 5 selections... but what is it your daughter likes?  I think your choice #1 was too "old" for the average 18-19 year old, but if that's your daughters style, its lovely.  #2 you said was pretty much a joke - its a very specific style and I could easily help you find that vintage look (although that dress is cute in of itself) but I think it takes a certain personality to pull it off and if its not your daughter's thing, then...

One thing I would personally suggest is color.  Now I'm a NYer so a sea of black dresses at a wedding to me is normal and appropriate... and very grown up (and maybe even a bit cliche).  So ok maybe she wants black for longevity - she will be able to wear it long into her 20's maybe even 30's if her size doesn't change.  But I feel like when you are young and hot that's when you can pull off the bright colors and short skirts, so she should, IMHO, embrace that!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
Thanks for your continued suggestions!

I did get a chance to show her what was posted last night.

What does she like? I was really surprised to find that she's going for more of a "classy" style rather than the party styles. She said that she want's sleeves, simple and elegent . . . quite different from what she's chosen in the past.

I bet that she'd really like the one redsfan posted, except that it's black (she liked the color of the blue that WillyNilly posted.) Maybe she'll go for the second one Hmmmmm posted.

At least we're narrowing it down to style, that's a huge step!

Oh, and she tried on her polka dot dress. She said it doesn't fit her right any more (the dress is 2 years old.)

Any other suggestions? I can't tell you how much your ideas are helping right now.  ;D