Author Topic: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15, #26 #35! Shoes? #44  (Read 5964 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
UPDATE

Alrighty, then.

DD#2 just came home (for about 5 minutes) and showed me a dress that she found . . .

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=dress&ProductID=2019572368&VariantID=

She then told me that she was going to wear black tights with her grey (I thought they were brown) dress boots . . . I think the boots idea is coming from the shot with the shrug . . . wearing it more as a tunic rather than a dress.

But, Hey! You can't beat the price! ;D

What do you all think?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »
I hope your daughter is a lot shorter than the model...
The status is not quo!

Germane Jackson

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »
I think it's lovely, but a little on the short side.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
Likewise. I think it could look very nice with opaque tights or leggings, but on that model it looks like it barely covers the private bits.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
First off, that's REALLY short.

Second off, tunic and leggings aren't dressy enough for an evening wedding, unless it's uber-casual, which evening weddings tend not to be.

(ETA: it's also really really cute, and I love the color.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:51:53 PM by Hotdish »
Words mean things.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Is she getting it in white?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:49 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize she was going to wear it as a tunic with leggings; that's definitely not formal enough.
The status is not quo!

norrina

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »
I have to agree with the PP. I love the dress, but with bare legs or flesh-toned hose it is far too short for a wedding, and with dark tights or leggings it is far too informal.

ETA: Here's another Forever 21 dress that looks a bit longer, though it doesn't have sleeves. http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=F21&Category=dress&ProductID=2000048946&VariantID=

Or, the prices aren't nearly as good, but what about one of these dresses
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/zbrandskiosk/juniors/my_michelle/PRD~1055723/My+Michelle+Lace+Dress.jsp
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/crosssells/storemore/dresses/womens/PRD~1081971/Melonie+Lace+Fit+and+Flare+Dress.jsp (also sleeveless)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:59:08 PM by norrina »

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
Re: Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 08:00:25 PM »
It's a lovely dress and I'm sure your daughter would look lovely in it, but I have to agree with previous posters- it's really not appropriate for the situation at hand. It's far too short, and a "tunic and leggings" look, while cute and trendy, is not appropriate for a formal occasion like an evening wedding. Also, unless it comes in other colors, the white at the wedding would be a problem, too. As pretty as the dress is, I really feel that it's far more suited to, say, a night out on the town, rather than a wedding.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
I see it as mint green, which is fine, and its a lovely dress. The model is 5'11" - if your daughter is significantly shorter, she'll be ok. Kids love super-short, but that is un-sit-down able. Tights or leggings with boots are too casual; she could try to find tights in that sheer mint green and wear heels.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »
It'd be pretty hard to match mint-greens, especially in the fall.
Words mean things.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15, #26
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
THANK YOU! ;D

When she first showed it to me on her i-pad I said "It's white and lacy! Noooo!"

Then I looked it up on my computer and it shows up as a very pale (sage) green.

I cringed when she talked about the black tights and boots . . . this is why we don't shop well together.

So, what's a mother to do?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:03:33 PM by jpcher »

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
Tell her to look for longer dresses?
Words mean things.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
That's a very cute, very short dress. 

Please do not try to get tights to match, a pair of nude/skin color sheer tights will work.

I would recommend either gold or silvery champagne accessories depending on your daughter's complexion.  Try DSW, she should be able to find a great pair of gold strappy heels or even some short booties.  I'm actually looking a 3 pairs of shoes I own that would work with this dress.

These in gold: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/chinese+laundry+illene+metallic+sandal?prodId=207817 Very comfortable to dance in

These in the silvery champagne color: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/lulu+townsend+gretchen+metallic+pump?prodId=229231&productRef=SEARCH These go with everything

and These which are so fun to wear: http://www.dsw.com/shoe/sm+women%27s+gaylee+glitter+pump?prodId=dsw12prod3830076&productRef=SEARCH People point at my feet whenever I wear these

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Anybody want to help DD#2 shop for a dress? UPDATE #15, #26
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 09:54:48 PM »
THANK YOU! ;D

When she first showed it to me on her i-pad I said "It's white and lacy! Noooo!"

Then I looked it up on my computer and it shows up as a very pale (sage) green.

I cringed when she talked about the black tights and boots . . . this is why we don't shop well together.

So, what's a mother to do?

Emphasize that while it's really cute (and would look good with tights but I'm not sure about that color boot (but don't comment on the boots)), it's not formal enough for an evening wedding. Suggest she check the evening dress category on Forever 21 - they had LOTS of cute options that would work well. Also, they have a number of little black dress options that would work well not only for the wedding, but could be dressed up or down for any number of other occasions.

Just steer her away from the hot pink one-sleeve dress (unless the bride is a Kardashian or a practitioner of the oldest profession). That one would be great for clubbing, but not for wedding.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture