Author Topic: Be Swedish for a day - October 4 is National Cinnamon Roll Day in Sweden  (Read 1440 times)

doodlemor

Thursday, October 4, is National Cinnamon Roll Day in Sweden, Kanelbullens dag. 

Although I live in the US, I think this is a great day to celebrate, whether one is of Swedish heritage or not.  Here is a link to a genuine Swedish website, with a recipe:

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2007/10/swedish-cinnamon-buns.html

Here is another, which shows a wonderful, but easy way to form the rolls:

http://blogs.sweden.se/food/2011/07/28/swedish-cinnamon-buns/

Here is my easy, but genuine bread machine recipe for Swedish cinnamon buns:

Put into bread machine, in order given:

1 cup milk or half and half
1/2 cup butter, very soft or melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom [optional if you don't have this]
3 teaspoons [1 tablespoon] bread machine yeast

Process on "dough" cycle.

Divide in half.  Roll out each half into about an 18 x 12 inch rectangle.  Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and a bit of clove [if you like -  clove is representative of southern Sweden where my ancestors lived.]

Roll up or fold up and shape according to the 2nd link above.  Cut into 12 or 16 slices.  Put into a buttered baking dish to rise, or..... put each into a cupcake liner in the Swedish style.  The metallic liners work best, I think.  If using the cupcake liners put them on a cookie sheet.

Repeat with the other half of the dough.

Let rise in the pans/liners until doubled.  Brush tops with an egg wash [beat up an egg with a spoonful or so of water], and sprinkle with Swedish sugar crystals if you can get them.  Otherwise you could get some sugar cubes and beat them with a rolling pin or meat mallet for a bit.

Then bake.  Try 350 degrees for the American way, or try hotter for the Swedish method.  Start checking for doneness after 10 minutes.  The size of the rolls, and the temperature of the oven will determine the time.

Or......easy way to celebrate the day......get some great buns at Tim Horton's or some similar location. 

NbyNW

Re: Be Swedish for a day - October 4 is National Cinnamon Roll Day in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
Yay! This sounds great! My husband's grandfather was a first generation American of Swedish descent so that's enough of an excuse for me. Thanks for letting us know!

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the recipe.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »
Thank you!  Much like Mormor used to make, but easier!  My aunt used to cook hers in an ebelskivver pan in the oven sometimes, but you have to be close so they don't burn. 

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
Now I have to add a trip to the grocery to my list o ferrands.  how FUN!  Also - that second link shows the coolest way I've ever seen to shape cinnamon rolls! I may never go back to the traditional rolled bun again!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Texas Mom

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
I like the alternative way to shape the rolls.  I'll try that next time I bake them!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
Happy cinnamon roll day everyone!

I don't particularly care for cinnamon but important holidays should be observed.  Maybe we'll just go to IKEA and breathe for a bit. 

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:37:17 PM »
Now I want some.  I'll try to get some during the course of the day. :D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:13 PM »

:) I am lazypants; this makes an excellent excuse to go to Cinnabon. Is that traitorous? I haven't been there in years.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

doodlemor

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Happy Cinnamon Bun Day, everyone!  They are one of my favorite treats.

Anne from Stockholm posted some more recipe links today.  Here is her link:

http://annesfood.blogspot.com/2012/10/cinnamon-bun-day.html

The "knot" way to form the buns is very easy to do, but looks intricate.  I think that those of you who mentioned this will have fun doing it.

Putting the buns into little metallic cupcake liners on a cookie sheet works very well, too.  The filling that seeps out during cooking stays in the bottom of the liner, and tends to soak back into the bottom of the bun.  The pan stays quite clean, also.

DH and I are the only ones here today, so I'm going to try Tim Horton's buns.  Next week I'll make some Swedish buns when my grandchildren are here.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
I hate to cook, so do cinnamon buns come in those tubes you smack on the counter to open, and then just bake them? 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
My husband's (Norwegian) mom used to make cinnamon buns, bake them and then freeze them.  Once when he was a kid he sneaked one from the freezer and tried to thaw it with a match.  I wonder why he didn't just put it in his drawer or something and eat it when it was unfrozen...go figure.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

doodlemor

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I hate to cook, so do cinnamon buns come in those tubes you smack on the counter to open, and then just bake them?

If they don't, you could probably turn some of the *smack on the counter* rolls into cinnamon buns.  You would just need to put some melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon on top.  If it seemed confusing to try and roll them up you could perch them in a muffin pan like little shells, so that the filling didn't all run out.

If you have a tube of rolls on hand I bet that the company's website has suggestions of things to do to make their products fancier.

Ereine

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
I mother would also freeze cinnamon buns (and other types of pulla, we might have gotten them from Swedes but they're very popular in Finland too. My mither used to make the knot shaped ones with butter and vanilla sugar as filling, they're very good too) and I actually liked them frozen.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 05:13:23 AM »
I mother would also freeze cinnamon buns (and other types of pulla, we might have gotten them from Swedes but they're very popular in Finland too. My mither used to make the knot shaped ones with butter and vanilla sugar as filling, they're very good too) and I actually liked them frozen.
My grandmother used to make Finnish sweet bread and I remember the sugar on it.  Oh, boy!  I remember family members holding a sugar cube between their teeth and sipping coffee through it.  And drinking coffee from their saucers.  I'd probably burn my mouth if I tried the sugar cube trick.
I found this interesting site.  http://www.finnishcafe.ca/