Author Topic: My brother can't let go and respect other opinions (new Q: #23)  (Read 4764 times)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
Re: My brother can't let go and respect other opinions
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »

Q: Is he the golden child in your family? The one who can do no wrong? Are you typically the one who has to accommodate him because nobody wants to disappoint him?

No, we have been treated equally. But it's just that me and my mother are/have been more of the 'peace maintainers' personality type. It's changing in the last few years, but slowly. Dad hasn't been around as much. It just kind of grew this way because brother is kind of melodramatic and has a BIG love for discussion/debate.

snowdragon

Re: My brother can't let go and respect other opinions (new Q: #23)
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
" I understand that you don't think its private information, I and many others do.  You'll just have to deal with the fact that my finances are none of anyone else's business, including yours. If you don't drop it and let it go, I am afraid you will have to deal with the fact that your nosiness has damaged or relationship. Which fact do you want to deal with?"

O'Dell

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
Calypso, brother isn't going to continue talking to DH about that (heavens, no  ::) ) because he knows DH will just draw the line and not engage in his antics. He tries to get to DH through me. He tries to recruit me to his own side so I can approach DH instead of himself. At least I've grown so far that I'm not doing someone else's discussions anymore, and I find I'm always siding with DH anyways. Which makes me brother out in frustration 'you don't always have to side with him because he is your husband you know' - before realizing it really is *my* opinion.

Honestly, I think maybe you need to ask your husband to coach you on how to shut your brother down. It will take time to retrain him because of how long you and your mom have let him get away with this stuff.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 03:48:31 PM »
"We are not going to discuss salaries with you.  Final answer. You don't get to phone your friends."