Author Topic: Bus climate control, SS version.  (Read 950 times)

Shopaholic

Bus climate control, SS version.
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
I believe I get a good amount of my entertainment on my daily bus rides.
Public transportation is a gold mine for clashing personalities...

This is submitted for your enjoyment:
So, it's mid October. The temperatures are very high for the season, reaching ~30C during the day. At 7:30AM it was already in the 20's. People were wearing shorts and T-shirts, sandals and some women were with sleeveless shirts.
I boarded the bus to a shock of cold air, which didn't surprise me as bus drivers like their AC, and I know from experience that temperatures towards the back of the bus are usually more reasonable.

My travelcard needed reloading, so I had a few minutes of interacting with the bus driver next to him. A woman behind him asked him to lower the AC. He replied something about the controls not working properly - the AC was either on or off, but tried to adjust it anyway.
Not 30 seconds later, Whiny Woman, our SS who was sitting in the first row, asked the driver in a tone verging on tears to turn off the AC in front. The driver replied that he can't do that, it was either on or off in the whole bus. Woman behind bus driver said that he had already turned the AC down.
WW goes on to tell the driver that he can turn it off in front, there is a button - she knows, she's been riding buses for years.
(All this is going on as driver is dealing with my transaction and starting to drive).
WW goes on to say that there is no reason for the AC to be on, it's not as hot as it was during the summer. (WW is wearing a jacket and a scarf.)

I finish my transaction and head towards the back of the bus. WW gets up from her seat to show bus driver exactly where the button he needs to press is, causing driver to slam on the brakes and everyone to lurch forward. WW loses her balance, but not her determination. She sits back down, but doesn't back off.

At this point other women on the bus are clearly upset and tell WW to let it go or move to the back of the bus, as she has nearly killed us all. WW continues that there is no reason for the AC to be on this time of year (the AC is significantly reduced at this point).

A few more minutes of back and forth ensue, with other women tellling WW to get off the bus at the next stop and stop annoying us all, and WW insisting that the driver can turn off the AC in the front. Mercifully the driver stayed out of it and focused on driving.

All women got off the bus at the same stop and continued arguing.

I don't know why the thought of moving to the back of the bus never occurred to WW (the bus was not full). It may not have been significantly warmer, but at least she would be far from the vents. I don't know why she thought it was OK to try push buttons on the dashboard while the driver was driving. I don't know why the driver didn't just kick her off when she tried that...
I'm just glad we all got out of it unharmed.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Bus climate control, SS version.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
I don't know why the thought of moving to the back of the bus never occurred to WW (the bus was not full). It may not have been significantly warmer, but at least she would be far from the vents. I don't know why she thought it was OK to try push buttons on the dashboard while the driver was driving. I don't know why the driver didn't just kick her off when she tried that...
I'm just glad we all got out of it unharmed.

I'm reading your whole post wondering why it didn't occur to anyone to tell her this?  She honestly might not know (it would never in a billion years occur to me, its not like that's some universal truth or anything).  If you or anyone else knew it was warmer in back why not just take a 3 seconds to say "excuse me, but just so you know its warmer in back and there are plenty of seats."

Shopaholic

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
Moving to the back was suggested by the other women, plus the AC was significantly reduced.

I don't know - if you walked into a gust of unpleasant, cold air - wouldn't your first instinct be to try and find a place where that air isn't blowing on you so forcefully? That's just instinct to me.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
The buses I take have AC vents throughout them. To get away from the forceful gusts of cold one would get off the bus.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
WW gets up from her seat to show bus driver exactly where the button he needs to press is, causing driver to slam on the brakes and everyone to lurch forward. WW loses her balance, but not her determination. She sits back down, but doesn't back off.

At this point other women on the bus are clearly upset and tell WW to let it go or move to the back of the bus, as she has nearly killed us all.

Dang, the bus driver must have been really layin' it down to have gotten up that much speed so fast. Houston buses don't have that sort of pickup!
Words mean things.