Author Topic: Handing it to a jerk on live TV  (Read 7521 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Handing it to a jerk on live TV
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:53 AM »
This is well worth watching: http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv.

I wish I could say, had I received the e-mail she did, that I would have responded in such an eloquent, Ehell-approved manner. Probably not, though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:20:17 PM by bansidhe »
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

AustenFan

Re: Handing it to a bully on live TV
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:54 AM »
Wow. I'm so proud of her, and I've never seen her before in my life. I'm also proud of everyone who came to her defense.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:46 AM »
She is very well spoken, good for her.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:49:40 AM »
Eloquent and to the point.

Whatva lady.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:33:37 AM »
That is impressive.  She's my role model of the day.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:03:06 AM »
I think she did an excellent job. I also think that, while obviously a terrifically mean statement, the email was not bullying. Seems like everything gets slapped with the bullying label these days. Isn't bullying typically defined as repeated incidents?

At any rate, a standing O from me.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:28:24 AM »
I get that officially "bullying" is repetitive incidents, but I'm comfortable with saying that one incident on its own is bullying. I think it's splitting hairs. This guy put himself in a position of superiority to the news anchor, thinking that he had the right to tell her what to do and how to behave. There was no reason for him to contact her about this -- he did it because it made HIM feel good to make HER feel bad. That's bullying to me.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:13 AM »
Well played, Ms. Livingston!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:31 AM »
I think she did an excellent job. I also think that, while obviously a terrifically mean statement, the email was not bullying. Seems like everything gets slapped with the bullying label these days. Isn't bullying typically defined as repeated incidents?

I think the point wasn't really though that the singular email was bullying, but rather that man's attitude is what leads to bullying.  He was one guy writing one email to one person, but as the newscaster pointed out, if he starts saying things like "fat newscaster" at home his kids will pick up on that and will think "its ok to be negative towards fat people" as a general idea instead of as a specific incident, and she was more talking about that larger issue.  I also really liked how she pointed out that while one guy made fun of her and was cruel, so very many more stepped up and defended her - an important reminder for kids who as she pointed out aren't as emotionally thick skinned as she is.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »

I think the point wasn't really though that the singular email was bullying, but rather that man's attitude is what leads to bullying.  He was one guy writing one email to one person, but as the newscaster pointed out, if he starts saying things like "fat newscaster" at home his kids will pick up on that and will think "its ok to be negative towards fat people" as a general idea instead of as a specific incident, and she was more talking about that larger issue.  I also really liked how she pointed out that while one guy made fun of her and was cruel, so very many more stepped up and defended her - an important reminder for kids who as she pointed out aren't as emotionally thick skinned as she is.

Also, if he's going out of his way to send that kind of email to her, chances are it's the kind of thing he *does* have a history of.

LadyMisha

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
I just watched this video response and while the instigator was very derogatory in his letter to her, she was the epitome of grace and eloquence in her response.  Definitely someone i would be inspired to try to live up to. 
Kids - the toughest job you'll ever love!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
I saw this and can only say, 'Brava, Ms. Livingston!'.

Her DH is a news anchor on the same station.  He was the one who chose to publicize the E-mail and, IMO, rightly so.  The lady is an excellent role model.  She has a medical condition that makes it difficult for her to lose weight but she exercises regularly, participates in foot races, and is raising three young daughters. 

People as sanctimonious as the man who sent the E-Mail need to be taken to task.  Who are they to judge others? 

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
I saw that yesterday on a news cast.

Well done, Ms. Livingston!     

Amava

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 12:07:49 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS! I love her!

And - if this is not a too shallow thing to say in a thread about "not letting what people think of your appearance get you down - she is gorgeous.  :o What a beautiful woman.

And what lovely, inspiring words. I'm going to listen to this video 5 times.

I grew up with a lot of insecurity and body issues due to being bullied, too. The other way round for me. I was considered too thin. :(   

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes.  The worst bullies in my life lived in my house with me, and I'm just now starting to come to grips with it, and I'm 50+.  You go, girl (said to the news anchor).