Author Topic: Handing it to a jerk on live TV  (Read 8966 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Handing it to a jerk on live TV
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
I only have my experience as a the class nerd through the entirety of elementary school, but "just ignore it, and it will go away" worked precisely never. Cruel second-graders' brains work differently than cruel grown-up lawyers' brains, I'm sure, but it's partly this advice that kept me getting picked on year after year while no adult helped me.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
This.  Ignoring doesn't say to jerks "No fun."  It says "Easy prey."

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
I've been fat all my life, and I've been teased/mocked/bullied for it.  I've also heard a great deal of nastiness directed at fat people under the guise of being "helpful" that it infuriates me.  If my doctor said anything about my weight, I'd listen; it's her job.  If Mr. Sirius voiced concern about my weight, I'd listen; I know he cares about me.  But what I weigh or look like is no one else's business.   

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: Handing it to a bully on live TV
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:25 PM »
Then again maybe I'm bitter because I tune into TV news expecting actual big, newsy events and the nightly half hour is increasingly this kind of stuff.

Maybe one day we will live in a society where "It is not okay to put others down because of their weight" will no longer be news for anyone. Where teaching people that they are allowed to be happy in their skin is no longer necessary. Where respecting others will be a given.

Until that day, I will support anyone who makes an effort to bring it people's attention.

You can't bring everything to everyone's attention.  It actually comes to a point where saturation is reached and no one pays attention anymore.   Doing things like this is not going to create a utopian society where no one is insulted for how they look.  It's certainly not going to stop letter writing trolls.

Do you really think that the guy who sent that letter doesn't know that what he's doing is wrong?  Of course he does!  That's why he did it!

I agree totally with jmarvellous.

He may know that he's doing wrong, but the message is that those who are on the receiving end of such behaviour don't have to put up with it in silence.

Saturation? Let's get fed up with bullying, not with the protests of the targets.

And get fed up with every other issue of the day.  Saturation is a fact of life as are nasty letters from trolls when one is a public figure.

Being a public figure who gets nasty letters is very different from a kid in school getting beat up or teased.

And I am not suggesting that one put up with it in silence, but making oneself a cause cé·lè·bre is a bit self aggrandizing.

I simply don't agree with it because I think there are enough people raising awareness without also feeding trolls.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
Wait, what?

People should raise awareness, but they can't use actual examples because it's self-aggrandizing?
Utah

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
Wait, what?

People should raise awareness, but they can't use actual examples because it's self-aggrandizing?

In this case it is self-aggrandizing.  Her job is to report the news, not use her job to become the news.

There are ways to promote healthy body image without using an example like this that feeds the troll.

MyFamily

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
Wait, what?

In this case it is self-aggrandizing.  Her job is to report the news, not use her job to become the news.

There are ways to promote healthy body image without using an example like this that feeds the troll.

How was she self-aggrandizing?  She wasn't making herself appear to be more important than she is, she was responding to a bully.  The fact is that in that part of Wisconsin, she is well-known and is a role-model for young girls (not as big as say Brittney Spears, but these girls see her on their tv and may even know her daughters or see her in the local grocery store).  She is using her position to send a message; and imo, that is exactly what she should be doing.  The outside press grabbed the story and is sharing it, but in my mind and in the mind of many of friends, she isn't the story - the story is about how women are judged on how they look and not on who they are, and what kind of message that sends to our daughters.  We applaud her for taking a stand.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:34 AM »
Am I the only one who is wondering if Mr. Lawyer is selling Herbalife or one of those MLM type things to promote weight loss and is trying to give his "advice" to sell her some product? I haven't seen the guy but he sounds really arrogant.

Other than that, good for her for standing up to him.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Am I the only one who is wondering if Mr. Lawyer is selling Herbalife or one of those MLM type things to promote weight loss and is trying to give his "advice" to sell her some product? I haven't seen the guy but he sounds really arrogant.

Yeah, I was wondering if this is meant to financially benefit him in some way. I didn't even think of MLM, but that would make sense. I was wondering if he moonlights as a personal trainer and thought this would get him publicity.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
GMA had a brief interview with the guy this morning.

He sounded as if he had no idea that what he wrote could be seen as offensive and provoke the flak that it did. 

Of course, the TV crew ambushed him when he arrived at work so it might not have been quite fair. 

Still, I don't think Ms. Livingston was wrong to jump in and use this situation as a teaching moment when her DH decided to post the email to Facebook.   

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering if this is meant to financially benefit him in some way. I didn't even think of MLM, but that would make sense. I was wondering if he moonlights as a personal trainer and thought this would get him publicity.

What made me think of the MLM was that in his response to Ms. Livingston, he offered some advice and coaching.... so yeah, I was thinking he was trying to drum up publicity and make $$. Maybe he thinks he's Wisconsin's answer to Bob Harper?  >:D
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

gingerzing

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »
I did not get through all the thread yet.  But this gal is my hero.
I have often wanted to look someone dead in the eye and say, Gee thanks for that.  It isn't like I have to look in the mirror or try to buy clothes, but needed someone to point that out for me that I am fat.

And yes, I think the guy needed to be called on the table about it.  Too many people make the internet a way to lose all manners.  I would never think about going up to someone and telling them that they were fat.  But apparently, telling someone in an email is fine. 

Plus I liked her comment to the fact that he even said that he didn't watch the show (just turned it on).
Also, the guy then mentioned something about losing weight on air to be a role model.  You know, cause it worked out so well for Oprah. 

Yes, she is MUCH more than some number on a scale. 

I think the best article about this was this gentleman. 
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_21699714/hicks-wisconsin-news-anchor-who-stood-up-her

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
Mrs. Livingston was on Ellen yesterday, talking about this and she said people had told her that in order for it to be considered bullying it has to happen more than once and be a pattern. She didn't really think much for that definition, saying that if her daughter came home with something like that, she wasn't going to wait for a second time to address it, she'd take care of it right then and there.

She also said her reaction wasn't really because of this one guy targeting her, but rather just bullying in general.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

NyaChan

« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
Random info - apparently she is the sister of the lead actor in Office Space  & she has won Emmys for her journalistic work

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
And apparently her brother starred with Ellen DeGeneres in "Mr. Wrong".
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata