Author Topic: A yucky thing happened at my favorite restaurant...  (Read 4462 times)

CrochetFanatic

Re: A yucky thing happened at my favorite restaurant...
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 04:37:31 PM »
I just thought of something else.  If it was caused by a stomach bug, the virus would have been airborne.  That's one way those things spread in schools, where one student gets sick at school, then the next day three or four bystanders are home sick.  Hopefully, it wasn't that.

O'Dell

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
So that happened, on top of being treated to the lovely smell of vomit right before lunch.  It got me wondering if they'd never had to deal with something like that before, because they were clearly not prepared for it.  Ever happen to any of you?

It also means that they haven't trained employees adequately on proper food handling and clean up of biohazards. I think you should tell the manager/owner your story and copy district/regional office if it's a chain restaurant.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Emmy

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
I do agree that this is an unfortunate incident for all involved.  That being said, the parents were rude if they didn't at least offer to help with the clean up.  The waitress should have given your food to you first before trying to help with the clean up.  However, I see how the unexpected incident can leave her flustered.  If that was me, I would have given the food to the OP, then went and got a pair of gloves before helping with the clean up. 

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
I do agree that this is an unfortunate incident for all involved.  That being said, the parents were rude if they didn't at least offer to help with the clean up.  The waitress should have given your food to you first before trying to help with the clean up.  However, I see how the unexpected incident can leave her flustered.  If that was me, I would have given the food to the OP, then went and got a pair of gloves before helping with the clean up.

i agree with this. 

also, if i were the OP and i was sure that it was my food that she had placed on another table before going to clean up, i would have gone to the table and gotten it myself, instead of watching it get cold.  then there wouldn't have been a chance for the server to touch the plates without washing her hands.

ettiquit

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
My mother had a seizure at the end of a meal at a restaurant and vomited quite a bit all over the table.  The staff cleaned it up by gathering everything on table in the tablecloth and throwing everything away.  Wasteful, for sure, but probably the quickest and easiest way to deal with it.

I wouldn't have been able to handle what happened to the OP.  Seeing/smelling vomit makes me instantly sick.

Noph

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I would have refused the food, paid for my drink and found some where else to eat. I'm already a very picky eater and have a weak stomach. 

Once, Mr. Noph and I ordered a huge amount of sushi from a restaurant we used to eat at at least every other month.  The server only spoke spanish, which made ordering sushi confusing, but Mr. Noph is very adventurous about sushi, so we didn't care if we got some surprises.  There was only one other table of diners at that time in the restaurant. Two parents and three children, the oldest about 3, the youngest maybe 9 mos or so.  The middle one was obviously sick, we could hear her sneezing and stopped up nose across the dining area.    We usually go for sushi as it is a more adult meal and we had business to discuss.  We knew there was a sick kid, and the other kids were pretty rowdy for the type of restaurant, but we'd been ignoring it as that's just kinda how kids act when they are drug someplace that has very little stimulation for them. 

We saw what we knew had to be our sushi order (we had ordered a TON of sushi and asked it all be on one platter so we could both try everything).  We saw the waiter walk it over to the other table. We saw the little girl sneeze. We saw the waiter pick up the tray and bring it over to us (the kids and parents had JUST placed their order with him, so they were telling him no as he set it down, but there was a language barrier or maybe he just didn't care about doing a good job..he only had two tables.)  I have a crap immune system, plus this is already raw fish we're talking about....So I immediately refused the platter, and told him I wanted another one, this one had been sneezed on. He said something I coudln't understand and walked away with the platter. After another 30 mins (the parents and kids were ending their meal) we'd not been served. I put four one dollar bills on the talble (cover our sodas) and we began to leave.  What I'm guessing was a manager blocked our exit and said he was calling the police, he "didn't tolerate dining and dashing." I responded that yes, he should call the police and the health department. We'd not dined on anything, our orginal dish had been sneezed on by a sick child, and we'd not seen our waiter since we refused the sneezed on food, so if he continued to block my path, the police would have to be called as he was holding us hostage.

He moved. We've not been back there since, but we both shared on our private friends only blogs about the experience. A friend said she'd gone there a few months ago and turned around and left before ordering as the waiter made her feel uncomfortable. She said he just a regular old dude, native english speaker, but that he was so filthy looking she didn't want him serving her food.

Sorry about my spelling.

SPuck

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 03:22:54 PM »
I think the entire situation resulted from not having plans in place in case of emergencies or accidents. Even if it involves throwing everything away like in ettiquit's situation. This isn't related to anything disgusting, but when I was at a Mexican restaurant in Florida, one of the severs dropped a plate. All of the other servers, bus boys, and the host in the area stopped and clapped. The plate was also immediately cleaned up. If a server can work entertainment into their routine, a safe way to clean up contaminated food must be plausible.

demarco

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

I've never seen anything like this happen in a restaurant but if it did I would not be able to eat a replacement.  The squeam factor would be too great.  I also doubt whether I would be back, even if it were my favorite restaurant.  I don't know whether I could get the image out of my mind.

In your situation, I would have told the server that the incident meant I was unable to eat and would have to leave. Not the restaurant's problem I know so I would absolutely be willing to pay for the food (a small price in my eyes to get out of there!).

I think it is the restaurant's problem.  I would not be paying for a contaminated meal nor would I pay for a replacement  meal that I could not eat.