Author Topic: Do kids like cheesecake?  (Read 2917 times)

Pippen

Do kids like cheesecake?
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:02:51 PM »
Little kids 3-5. They aren't fussy eaters and they sure like cheese and cake but not sure if cream cheese might be a bridge too far for them as it can have the sour taste to it. Or else they might just think it is really odd. Has anyone got any kid friendly flavours or combinations they have used?

NyaChan

Re: Do kids like cheesecake?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
I really think this is child-specific, just as it would be with adults.  That said, I've seen kids enjoy plain cheesecake with various toppings like chocolate/caramel, apples cooked in cinnamon-sugar syrup, oranges in sugar syrup, or raspberry sauce.  I also once made a honey & ginger cheesecake with hazelnut crust that went over well with people of all ages.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:33 PM »
My three year old does - as long as its standard issue cream cheese based or ricotta cheesecake (large Italian population) most of his friends do as well.  Mine will eat goat cheese cheesecake and savory cheesecakes but that's less common.

Iris

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 03:38:04 AM »
I loved plain cheesecake as a child, but wouldn't eat strawberry cheesecake because of the 'bits' i.e. strawberry seeds. My children were similar.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
I often make ricotta/marscapone cheesecakes which kids love.  Last week I made  standard cream cheese one and they hated it. And they like cream cheese on their bagels so I was at a loss.

It's seems like a hit or miss with little ones.  I would probably go more basic like cupcakes or cookies.

sweetonsno

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:08:48 PM »
When I was younger, I did not enjoy cheesecake. I have distinct memories of envisioning a cake made out of cheddar cheese, especially because I saw the New York style cheesecakes that were sort of yellowish and golden on top. (The thought of cake made out of cheese, for dessert, did not appeal.) I also did not like cream cheese. Even the flavored varieties tasted distinctly sour to me. (I can probably count on one hand the things that I didn't like as a child. Cream cheese was one of them.)

I probably wouldn't offer cheesecake as the only dessert for a party that specifically caters to children, unless it's very very sweet and on the soft side (bordering on pudding/mousse). Kids might enjoy putting on their own toppings (chocolate, fresh fruit, caramel sauce, fruit sauce).

I remember my first positive experiences with cheesecake rather clearly: one was miniature individual cheesecakes served in cupcake liners. There was a graham cracker crust on the bottom, the "cheesecake" was quite wet and sweet, and there was half a strawberry on top. The second one was, believe it or not, frosted. In retrospect, it was probably just highly sweetened sour cream, but covered with fresh fruit, it was delightful.

So, basically, I think it's risky.

Chip2

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Depends on the kid.

I suggest you look for a chocolate chip or fruit-flavored cheesecake, but it would probably be a good idea to have some cupcakes handy just in case they don't like it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
My kids like ricotta style and Philadelphia style cheesecakes but not New York style. 

They also like the Jello mix thing though we dont really consider it cheesecake. 

Pippen

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. Savoury cheesecake. Who would have thought. I will be googling that one. Think I may just stick to normal cakes. It is to make up for missing their birthdays so I was going to make them a little cake each and take them to lunch next week but it would be pretty embarrassing if they didn't like it and felt they had to eat them to be polite.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice. Savoury cheesecake. Who would have thought. I will be googling that one. Think I may just stick to normal cakes. It is to make up for missing their birthdays so I was going to make them a little cake each and take them to lunch next week but it would be pretty embarrassing if they didn't like it and felt they had to eat them to be polite.

Excellent point. For this occasion make one of their favorites.

Save the cheesecake trial for another time. Who knows? They might love it.

I do have to thank you for the memory . . . When the DDs were little (2-4) their Dad would buy the strawberry Sara Lee cheesecakes. The three of them would sit on the living room floor, each with their own fork and dig in. Straight out of the pan! The fork fights? "That was MY bite!" "You're eating all the strawberries!" I remember sitting on the couch just watching and enjoying the laughter. Good times.

Yes, some little kids really love cheesecake! ;D

jmarvellous

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
I remember really liking cheesecake when I was little, probably more than regular cake (also loved pound cake, both with strawberry sauce on top, which is what I think I really was excited by), but I agree that if it's for kids' birthdays, perhaps making each one a cupcake is a better route if you're unsure.

Pippen

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »

I do have to thank you for the memory . . . When the DDs were little (2-4) their Dad would buy the strawberry Sara Lee cheesecakes. The three of them would sit on the living room floor, each with their own fork and dig in. Straight out of the pan! The fork fights? "That was MY bite!" "You're eating all the strawberries!" I remember sitting on the couch just watching and enjoying the laughter. Good times.

He he he. Children and sharing communal food it is like watching 'Gladiator' but with better dialogue.

I was also worried that the youngest M (3) would be bitterly disappointed. She is a cheese fiend, as am I, and that cheesecake would fall well below her expectations. "Cheese and Cake?!!!!CRUD MONKEYS! such a thing exists?! There is a deity who loves me! Hey this isn't cheese and it sure isn't cake what kind of evil trick is this?"

I introduced the oldest to Haloumi when he was around 3 and my friend has never heard the end of how fried Edam was just not the same. Yeah well for a fifth of the price and you being 3 and not having a job to pay for it you will get what you are given. Brain spark! I will get them cheese for their birthdays. Why did I not think of  this? You guys are awesome.

stkatie00

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
When DH and I were trying to decide on our wedding cake, we contemplated cheesecake because its the only dessert we both agree on. We nixed the IDE when we realized we were getting married in August, outside of Chicago (those of you not familiar with the area-that means hot and humid are guaranteed), and wedding cakes have to be able to withstand sitting out, which cheesecakes can't really do. Anyway, the neighbor who was doing our cake had made us mini cheesecakes as tasters (regular, amaretto, Bailey's, and I think one with chocolate-sooo yummy), and we had taken them over to my FILs house so he, SMIL, and then 2.5 year old SIL could try them. SIL was just learning to walk (she has a neurological disorder and they didn't know if she'd even be able to walk, let alone that early). She had neve had cheesecake before but she LOVED it (we only offered the regular one)! It was the cutest thing-she kept wanting to practice he walking because we gave her a bite every time she walked over. At that time, it was the best walking she had ever done! So yes, some kids do like cheesecake, but I can definitely see where it would be a case by case basis.

Iris

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »

He he he. Children and sharing communal food it is like watching 'Gladiator' but with better dialogue.

I was also worried that the youngest M (3) would be bitterly disappointed. She is a cheese fiend, as am I, and that cheesecake would fall well below her expectations. "Cheese and Cake?!!!!CRUD MONKEYS! such a thing exists?! There is a deity who loves me! Hey this isn't cheese and it sure isn't cake what kind of evil trick is this?"

I introduced the oldest to Haloumi when he was around 3 and my friend has never heard the end of how fried Edam was just not the same. Yeah well for a fifth of the price and you being 3 and not having a job to pay for it you will get what you are given. Brain spark! I will get them cheese for their birthdays. Why did I not think of  this? You guys are awesome.

He he. My niece stayed with us overnight recently and as we were driving her home she sadly said "I was hoping we'd have some of Uncle DH's special cheese. You know, the one he cooked when we had that barbecue..." That was 3 years ago! Obviously Haloumi creates an impact.  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Pippen

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:59:50 AM »

He he. My niece stayed with us overnight recently and as we were driving her home she sadly said "I was hoping we'd have some of Uncle DH's special cheese. You know, the one he cooked when we had that barbecue..." That was 3 years ago! Obviously Haloumi creates an impact.  :)

Fried squeaky cheese? What is not to love? (aside from the price) That stuff stays with you. I swear cheese is like heroin to kids. You just have to be careful not to give them the good stuff otherwise it develops into an expensive habit.