Author Topic: Save me eHell...how do I avoid my cootie-full boss til she's better?  (Read 2846 times)

Please pass the Calgon

After hacking, coughing and being miserable since the beginning of the weekend, my boss went to the doctor yesterday. She was diagnosed with viral bronchitis and came straight back to work; still hacking, coughing & miserable. Normally she stays in her office and I can avoid direct contact, but this week she is trying to get all our reviews out of the way. This would necessitate her & I being in her 8'x10' office for about an hour. Is there any way I can politely say that I'd like to put mine off until she is well again? I'm really susceptible to bronchitis and I also really dont want to carry it home to my kids...one of whom has asthma and the times he's had bronchitis were BAD.

Help please.

NyaChan

Re: Save me eHell...how do I avoid my cootie-full boss til she's better?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »
I would tell her nicely what you have said here - "Boss, my doctors have found that I am very susceptible to bronchitis and I have to avoid being in close contact with anyone who has it as I also have to avoid carrying anything home to my son who has asthma.  Could we please do our review at a later date?"  Does she seem like the sort of person who would be horribly offended or upset?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
And if she refuses to postpone, wear a mask.  If she makes any comment, 'You refused to postpone the meeting until you were better; I refuse to risk getting sick myself or carrying the illness to my susceptable child.'

My nephew had a teacher who's daughter was undergoing cancer treatment and was highly susceptable to any infection.  The teacher wore a mask all day every day, after explaining to the kids what was going on.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
I POD Outdoor Girl.  Just because she chooses to come to work contagious doesn't mean you have to bring it home.

If she won't postpone, wear a mask.

KimberlyM

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
I sympathize! My boss refuses to stay home no matter how sick he is.  I have an immune disorder and not only catch EVERYTHING I come in contact with, but my body can't fight it off either.  So his 3-4 day cold may mean 10+days in bed for me.

I keep hand sanitizer nearby all fall/winter and when he shows up sick, I wear a mask.  Everyone around here has gotten used to it, doesn't even phase them anymore.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
I managed to avoid her in person today, but I could hear her from all over our building. My buddy is in Tech Support and had to go into her office to troubleshoot some computer issue...I offered him antibacterial gel when he came out and asked if he was getting hazard pay. I shouldn't have to see her until Monday so hopefully the worst will have passed by then. What amuses me most is that she made a crack a few months ago about how another coworker and I never seem to get sick...because we try our hardest to avoid the worst of the office cooties.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
Skype?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
I would just say "Hey boss...can we figure out a way for us to do my performance review not in person since you are still sick and most likely contagious?  I am susceptible to bronchitis and if I get it I will be at home for a week, unable to work.  What do you think about a video chat?"