Author Topic: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?  (Read 4595 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »
From the Deep South US here. We had mashed potatoes quite often growing up, I loved to lick the mixer afterward. Nowadays, I find them boring and bland, and rarely make them. DH likes them so I will make them occasionally. I do not consider them special-occasion food (see above, boring and bland).

My stepmother requested them this year for Thanksgiving, so I made them. It seemed like a big deal to her.
                www.ellenseltz.com

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
From the Deep South US here. We had mashed potatoes quite often growing up, I loved to lick the mixer afterward. Nowadays, I find them boring and bland, and rarely make them. DH likes them so I will make them occasionally. I do not consider them special-occasion food (see above, boring and bland).

My stepmother requested them this year for Thanksgiving, so I made them. It seemed like a big deal to her.

Mashed potatoes are like slices of white bread: by themselves, usually dull.  It's what put on and in it that makes it a meal.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »

Mashed potatoes are like slices of white bread: by themselves, usually dull.  It's what put on and in it that makes it a meal.

Growing up, (1970s) plain mashed potatoes were never served unless there was gravy to go on top. When you served your plate, you'd create a well to put the gravy in. When I was in HS, I was visiting a family in Washington state. I put the potatoes on my plate, made my well and waited for the gravy to be passed. None came around. First time I knew people ate them without gravy.

But worse I was out of college before I learned that in other places ate baked potatos with only butter. I'd never seen them served without a sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives being added or offered.

lowspark

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
We've come close before.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=122666.0

Ha Ha. My comment on that thread was pretty close to the same thing I said here.  ;D

I think what both threads prove is that no one likes to be lumped into a generality about a specific group/region/geographic location. When 10 people post about "real mashed potatoes", well, that's 10 people. But it doesn't represent an entire neighborhood, I'd venture to guess, much less an entire city, state, or country. It's just 10 anecdotes. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that if 10, or even 50, or even a thousand residents of a certain country say something, that the same thing is true for everyone. But consider that there are something like 316 million people living in a hugely diverse geographic  and cultural area so yeah, there is very little, if anything, that holds true for everyone here.  ;)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
How true!

The beauty of a place like this is that you can learn so much that's interesting (and often delicious) from people who live in different parts of the world. 

Like most other foods, mashed potatoes are a very personal taste. SIL adds so much cayenne pepper to hers that I can't eat them.  Some like their mash absolutely smooth, others like 'em lumpy with plenty of skins. 

nayberry

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
was reminded of this thread last night as i mashed away,  hmmm steak and mash nomnomnom

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »
My DH makes beautiful mash, soft and creamy with butter, garlic and Parmesan cheese.

I've tried the instant. I think it's awful.