News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 01, 2015, 08:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How much time do you spend cooking dinner?  (Read 1616 times)

Specky

Re: How much time do you spend cooking dinner?
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
Southestern US

For us, cooking time varies with what we are making.  Probably 98% or more of what we cook is from scratch.  If we are making something that requires several steps in preparation, we divide and conquer.  We make any pasta we eat, so we might start out earlier in the day, grinding the grain and making the pasta in preparation for later.  When we made spring rolls or egg rolls, one son and I sat at the kitchen table and made the wrappers while my DH stir fried the inside stuff.  We have fun!

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
Southestern US

For us, cooking time varies with what we are making.  Probably 98% or more of what we cook is from scratch.  If we are making something that requires several steps in preparation, we divide and conquer.  We make any pasta we eat, so we might start out earlier in the day, grinding the grain and making the pasta in preparation for later.  When we made spring rolls or egg rolls, one son and I sat at the kitchen table and made the wrappers while my DH stir fried the inside stuff.  We have fun!

That is beyond my definition of "from scratch"!

I cook at least 6 days a week, and I don't really count time in the oven or crock-pot as "cooking time" because I can be doing other things. Generally, I find things you cook on the stovetop or in the last 30 minutes before dinner require a much higher proportion of hands-on time than something you prepare ahead and let it bake or simmer.

I am a SAHM with 2 elementary age kids who frequently have neighborhood kids over to play. Dinner-prep time is also usually homework and pester-your-sibling time, so I really have very little concept of how long things would take me to cook without interruptions.  I usually start "dinner" around 5pm and have it on the table around 6pm, but that may include clearing up from an afternoon snack for 5-6 kids, or messy projects.

If I am doing roasted chicken I like to start at 4 prepping the bird, and have it in the oven by 4:30. Soup, same thing - start at 4 or 4:30 chopping veggies. If we are doing scrambled eggs or tuna salad, I may not start that till 5:30.

greencat

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I live alone, so although every once in awhile I go all out and spend an hour in the kitchen, most of the time, I spend as little time as possible cooking - quickly pan-fried meats and veggies, or throwing things into a pot for soup. 

Sometimes I just spend 5 minutes chopping things and putting them in foil packets for dinner at work, since I have access to a toaster oven and no competition for it.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
Monday & Wednesday: ~15 minutes. DH and our two sons have karate class from 6pm to 8:45pm. They don't like to eat a meal before that so we eat after. Since its late we usually do sandwiches (fried egg, tuna, ham & swiss, or grilled cheese or smoothies & muffins).

Tuesday & Thursday: ~30 minutes. It's a school/ work night, DD16 may or may not be at color guard practice. Meals typically include a main meat dish, a side vegetable and some form of bread.

Friday night: as little time in the kitchen as possible ;) This is typically our slow cooker night or something I prep ahead and toss in the oven then ignore til it's done. After a long week we want to relax & hang out.

Saturday & Sunday: an hour or so. DS11 loves to cook and these are the nights we really have time for him to indulge. He sees recipes he likes on Food Network (loves Bobby Flay & Pioneer Woman) or asks to make things I've done in the past.

We meal plan on Saturday evenings and I grocery shop on Sunday. After 7 years the kids are finally trained that I grocery shop once per week and if they don't tell me what they need/want when I ask, it's not going to end up in the cart and they'll have to wait a week to try again.

Forgot to add: We're in the U.S. Potatoes are a rarity on our menu. Much more likely are rice pilaf, grilled naan, or pasta.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 10:40:17 PM by Please pass the Calgon »