Author Topic: Where and what to buy for Indian people?  (Read 453 times)

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
Where and what to buy for Indian people?
« on: December 16, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
Where I work, the development of the software is outsourced to a company in India, to be more precise, in Bangladore. I work closely together with a number of those developers, as we track and solve incidents and bugs.
Lately, the team has made some great efforts to fix big issues, and I was thinking of ordering something nice for them, to be delivered in their office. If I'd order something from a 'local' webshop, the delivery costs would be really big. But I don't know indian webshops which are also in english. On top of that, what are usually considered nice gifts? I was thinking someing food related, like chocolate, would that be ok? (I could ask the developers, but that would spoil the surprise)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Where and what to buy for Indian people?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
I can't help, but I do want to say I missed you! Welcome back.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
Could you perhaps ask one of them to take care of it locally for you, and then send him/her the money to cover it? They would know what to get and have easy access to it, and they could keep it a surprise from the others.
~Lynn2000

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:13:56 AM »
Could you perhaps ask one of them to take care of it locally for you, and then send him/her the money to cover it? They would know what to get and have easy access to it, and they could keep it a surprise from the others.

That is actually a good idea, silly that I didn't think of it before :)

And thanks Luci, I didn't even know that people would remember me :)

shygirl

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
I've never been to Bangalore, but I've been to Calcutta many times (where my family is from).  When giving gifts, Indian people usually give sweets!  Something like this:

http://www.anandsweets.in/Home_New.aspx

I can't vouch for that particular store, but if you are discussing with someone actually in Bangalore, they might have good suggestions for a sweet shop.

Wintergreen

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 02:52:19 AM »
I would think that chocolate or sweets would be nice. At least that was the impression I got when I was working in a company that had outsourced something to India. Those who came from there to locally observe and learn the ways of our project always bought tons of chocolate to take with them back home. And if some of our local people went to visit India, I got the impression, that chocolate was well hoped and received.