Author Topic: My cookware is not for barfing in  (Read 4259 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Re: My cookware is not for barfing in
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
I too wouldn't care what they used.  But since you do have a preference, I would take out the bucket and offer it to them.  Sure they know there are buckets but it probably didn't occur to them.  I don't think they did it to make you upset or is that outrageous.

Amara

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »
The idea of this really squicks me out. But I also agree the shape and size might have something to do with it.

I would tell (not suggest to) them to buy their own bowls and use those. And I am not sure how you could say this, but you will surely want to consider letting him know that cleaning the bowl should only be done outside or wherever you delegate. In his sleep-deprived state I'd have to wonder if he would use the kitchen sink. Better to head that off at the pass than deal with it later.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2012, 12:20:48 PM »
The idea of this really squicks me out. But I also agree the shape and size might have something to do with it.

I would tell (not suggest to) them to buy their own bowls and use those. And I am not sure how you could say this, but you will surely want to consider letting him know that cleaning the bowl should only be done outside or wherever you delegate. In his sleep-deprived state I'd have to wonder if he would use the kitchen sink. Better to head that off at the pass than deal with it later.

OP said they already have their own bowls so access to them should not have been a problem.  I would assume that the proper lace to clean them would start in the bathroom.

Amara

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
I would assume that too, Sharnita, but he apparently used OP's bowl rather than one of theirs. Perhaps his sleep-deprived state made him do that because he was in action rather than thinking mode? If so, I think mentioning the cleaning location might be proactive.

O'Dell

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
I'd be grossed out about it too. I've never heard of someone using a cooking pot for that purpose. But even if the bodily fluids in cookware wasn't a factor, I'd still be put out that they took my cookware to their room for a week while their own cookware sat *and* had to be asked where it was. In an emergency he grabs your bowl, sure. I can see that. But like you said it wasn't an emergency and they kept the bowl there. That I think is rude.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Pippen

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
I too wouldn't care what they used.  But since you do have a preference, I would take out the bucket and offer it to them.  Sure they know there are buckets but it probably didn't occur to them.  I don't think they did it to make you upset or is that outrageous.

I wasn't upset as such more deeply puzzled. It just seemed really odd. I would never even think about throwing up in something people use to prepare food in.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »
fwiw, if you have a dishwasher the dishes/cookware might be put through after being cleaned and the hot water would make it extra clean.  I would not feel like a bucket was getting as clean.

Pippen

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »
fwiw, if you have a dishwasher the dishes/cookware might be put through after being cleaned and the hot water would make it extra clean.  I would not feel like a bucket was getting as clean.

That still wouldn't fly with me. It's not a bowl that could serve any other functional purpose ie in the laundry. I would never have used it for cooking again. They can do whatever they like to their own things I just don't want mine used for the purpose.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
but if they used the bucket would you use that again?  Would you want to put water in and clean floors or anything else? Or your clothes?  I would feel like the hot water of a dishwasher is really the only thing that might get it clean enough for me to want to use it to clean anythong else, KWIM?

Pippen

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 03:49:08 PM »
but if they used the bucket would you use that again?  Would you want to put water in and clean floors or anything else? Or your clothes?  I would feel like the hot water of a dishwasher is really the only thing that might get it clean enough for me to want to use it to clean anythong else, KWIM?

Yes because it is not used for food preparation. The laundry buckets can be thoroughly cleaned and have multiple uses. My rational mind knows things can be brought back to the original level of hygiene, but it is the mental association that does not sit well with me.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
but if they used the bucket would you use that again?  Would you want to put water in and clean floors or anything else? Or your clothes?  I would feel like the hot water of a dishwasher is really the only thing that might get it clean enough for me to want to use it to clean anything else, KWIM?

Yes because it is not used for food preparation. The laundry buckets can be thoroughly cleaned and have multiple uses. My rational mind knows things can be brought back to the original level of hygiene, but it is the mental association that does not sit well with me.

I happily eat yogurt past its expiration date.  I cut the green and white mold off cheese and use the rest.  There is no way I would ever use that hypothetical bowl again.   We all have our lines and that is one I cannot cross.
The days are long but the years are short.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »
Most stuff is good a few days to a week past its sell-by date anyway.  8)

I wouldn't be able to use that bowl again, either. 

AtraBecca

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:49 PM »
They should go buy a popcorn bowl. They're ideal for that purpose, in my experience.  ;D You're not wrong to be upset, they should use their own stuff for that!