Author Topic: A new store opened and it is already looking like a dump.  (Read 4007 times)

MOM21SON

A new store opened and it is already looking like a dump.
« on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
Would you say something?  The store is a dollar store.  It is a brand new single building that has been open 2 weeks.  I have been there 3 times.  When I went today, I was shocked.  Employees all standing around upfront goofing off.  The aisles were littered with broken down boxes and package wrapping.  Lots of empty shelves.  It is a chain store that I am sure put a lot of thought and money into this brand new store. 

Since it is literally 2 blocks from me I had high hopes it would stay nice and clean.  I was very disappointed.

heathert

Re: A new store opened and it is already looking like a dump.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
I suggest contacting the corporate office for the store. It sounds like they may have inexperienced management running the place.

Christabeldreams

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
Certainly sounds like a disappointment. Is the merchandise at least decent?

MOM21SON

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Certainly sounds like a disappointment. Is the merchandise at least decent?

Yes it is.  I went today and got cleaning supplies and had a 5 buck off coupon that they mailed to our area to be used only at that store. 

I try not to be a fuddy duddy, but it was pretty messy and filthy.

Oh and the big delivery truck was there on Monday which is why I waited until today to go.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
I went to a local thrift store once (and only once) - stuff was in piles everywhere.  Want jeans?  Find the right table and start sorting through for your size.  Want to use the restroom to try something on?  You have to clear all the stuff from in front of the door first.  (Took me ~15 minutes to clear enough for the door to open.  If they hadn't had the exact thing I wanted to find for a costume, I would have left after one look inside.)

I asked the lady there whether they had just opened, because it looked to me like someone hadn't finished putting away stuff.  But no, they'd been open for months - it's just always like that.  Gee thanks, but I'll patronize other thrift stores from now on  ::)

heathert

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:48:47 PM »
I went to a local thrift store once (and only once) - stuff was in piles everywhere.  Want jeans?  Find the right table and start sorting through for your size.  Want to use the restroom to try something on?  You have to clear all the stuff from in front of the door first.  (Took me ~15 minutes to clear enough for the door to open.  If they hadn't had the exact thing I wanted to find for a costume, I would have left after one look inside.)

I asked the lady there whether they had just opened, because it looked to me like someone hadn't finished putting away stuff.  But no, they'd been open for months - it's just always like that.  Gee thanks, but I'll patronize other thrift stores from now on  ::)

Wow, your thrift store let you try on the clothes in the bathroom?!   ;)

doodlemor

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Definitely, contact corporate customer service before the place gets any worse.  I'm sure that they have a large investment at stake, and will be concerned.

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
If anyone cares to provide a sample letter I would appreciate it.  I tend to get carried away or not provide enough detail.

FTR, my neighborhood was not happy about this store opening here.  I decided that I couldn't change it and would give it a try.

CaptainObvious

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
I am confused, not seeing the etiquette issue in a store restocking their shelves?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
I see the etiquette issue very clearly.  This is a new store and the OP wonders if it is overstepping to say something about the condition of the store.  Corporate could very well not know about the lax management. 

Witty Username Goes Here

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
My husband works at a grocery store.  He's a stocker, in the cooler.  People who are "disappointed" when he's there trying to fill the shelves for them so they can buy their cheese and Greek yogurt make his job a living Hell.  Give them a little bit of a break.  While you were in the store, did they continue to goof off, or did they go back to restocking the shelves?  And when do you propose they stock the shelves?  It's not always possible to stock the shelves at midnight when there are no customers.  It's all dependent on when the truck brings the load in. 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 12:10:48 PM »
Was it a busy time, or was it slow? If it was slow, they were probably fitting in some needed breaks, especially if they had just been hit with a rush and/or a big delivery.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »
Was it a busy time, or was it slow? If it was slow, they were probably fitting in some needed breaks, especially if they had just been hit with a rush and/or a big delivery.

i wouldn't be irritated by employees talking up front, though it would seem strange for them to be standing around on the floor during breaks.  i've never worked anywhere that didn't require you to clock out and leave the floor for breaks.  mainly because i couldn't work off the clock, and it would have looked very bad to not help a customer with the statement that "i'm on break."

there really isn't an excuse for having the aisles littered with broken down boxes and packing materials.

since it's a new store, it's very possible that there are still some training issues to overcome.  if all of the employees are new to this chain, two weeks might not have been enough time for everyone to be up to speed.

having said that, i would let corporate know.  for every one customer who might be willing to give them a chance a month or so down the road, several more never will due to their initial experience.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »

i wouldn't be irritated by employees talking up front, though it would seem strange for them to be standing around on the floor during breaks.  i've never worked anywhere that didn't require you to clock out and leave the floor for breaks.  mainly because i couldn't work off the clock, and it would have looked very bad to not help a customer with the statement that "i'm on break."

True, but like you said, it's only the second week of operation. I would really not expect a new staff to have the whole process down yet. And this might have been only their first or second truck in, which means it's probably a lot more work for them now than it will be in several months when they have it down to a nice, smooth operation. The OP says she has been in there two other times. If this is the first time it's looked bad, I would maybe reserve judgment.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
There's a dollar store that went up in the mall where a toy store used to be. This seems to just be a bad location in general since the toy store didn't do very well, and I don't know what it is but the 2 times I've gone there the store just smelled bad.  Hard to describe the smell as it wasn't musty.  Just odd.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata