Author Topic: Weird or just me?  (Read 5147 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Weird or just me?
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
I swap pet sitting services with the woman who lives next door. We're friendly but not friends, and except for the occasional borrowing of sugar, we're not in each other's homes unless we're taking care of the other's pet. Last night I had to go to an event right after work, so I asked her to stop in and let my dog out to pee. When I came home at 10 pm, she and her boyfriend were on my couch watching a DVD, with the remains of take-out sitting on my coffee table. They clearly wanted me to hang out and watch the last of the DVD but I politely told them that I was exhausted and thanked them for letting the dog out.

24 hours later, I'm still feeling very uncomfortable at the fact that they made themselves so at home in my living room when I wasn't there. I don't mind them hanging out like that when I've asked them to take care of the dog for an overnight and I will even sit and keep their dog company for a while when they're out of town, but when I'm just out for a longer than usual day, that feels weird. How would E-Hell feel? If y'all would feel the same way, what should I do?

pickles50

Re: Weird or just me?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
Did she offer any explanation?

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »
That is incredibly weird!  Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable with her watching my pet anymore - mostly because I know I couldn't bite my tongue about how uncomfortable her actions made me & it would just be awkward to maintain the mutually beneficial relationship after having that conversation.

Though I suppose if you want to bring it up again you could in terms of making clear what your boundaries are while making it clear that you really appreciate having someone nearby to swap with.

SiotehCat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:07:08 PM »
I think thats really weird.

I would wonder if they have ever made themselves that comfortable in the past.

Aria

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I think that's really weird.

I would wonder if they have ever made themselves that comfortable in the past.

My thoughts exactly!

When you said you were tired, did they get up and leave?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Strange.  Very very strange.  And they knew you were coming back that night?

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
Another vote for weird.  The only person allowed to hang around like that at my house after doing a quick pet-check like that is my sister.

snowdragon

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
I would stop swapping pet watching services and change my locks

Pippen

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
I know weird and that is what it looks like.

doodlemor

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »
I would stop swapping pet watching services and change my locks

My thoughts exactly.  There is something very, very *off* about this.  These people have a complete lack of boundaries.  I would put something heavy against my door at night until the locks are changed, too.

CakeEater

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:50 AM »
I think the weirdest part is that they didn't act guilty - they obviously thought you would be fine with them watching your TV and eating on your couch.

At least they weren't eating food out of your fridge, I guess.  ???

Rohanna

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:13 AM »
I frequently pet sit for my best friend, and to be honest I feel weird when I have to use the bathroom or grab a drink and she's not there. And that's a very good friend, who, knowing her- probably wouldn't care if I hosted a party there while she was gone as long as I cleaned up after. I find it very odd they were hanging out at your place. Does she seem socially "awkward"? Maybe she thinks that you are "besties" when you're thinking about her as "the nice person next door who feeds my dog?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

LEMon

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »
I tried hard to figure out a justification for their actions.  All I could come close to is 'trying to let the dog be out for a bit', but that didn't excuse dinner.  'Let the dog out' to me means 'let out the door, wait till gone to the bathroom, and let him/her back in, then leave.'  Another vote for way over normal boundaries.

(Was it even a short show (i.e. 30 minutes) which she could possibly have thought 'dog needs to be out for this long'?  Or was it a long one?)

May need to have a talk with her about not making herself at home in your house, and not bringing guests over, and not eating at your place.  Yesh.

Gyburc

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »
Wow. So they made themselves comfortable on your furniture, used your DVD player and presumably also your DVD, and had a meal in your house?

Re-reading the OP, it's possible that they have extrapolated from looking after the dog overnight that it's fine for them to be in your house for long periods of time, but it's not something I would do.

So, another vote for weird. I hope you can straighten this out!

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:58 AM »
Another vote for weird, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had that happen!  (In my case, my friend moved her whole family into my apartment for 4 days while I was out of town!)