Author Topic: Weird or just me?  (Read 4824 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: Weird or just me?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
It's weird.

I've had similar pet-sitting arrangements. The most I've ever done is sit in the living room for 15-30 minutes to pet and play with the cat or dog, after taking care of food/water/potty needs. I figure that most people wouldn't mind if their pet got some attention and play time while they are away.

Beyond that, I go into the kitchen, because that's where the food and water usually are, and whatever room has the litter box, if there's a cat. Once in a while, I've had to use the bathroom, but I am always a little uneasy about intruding into their privacy that much.

Bringing someone else into another person's house? Just not right, unless it's been cleared beforehand. The DVD and take-out? That's just weird.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »
Weird!

Did they bring the movie or browse through yours? When you mentioned being exhausted did they immediately turn the movie off and pack up to leave? Did they clean up after themselves (I'm assuming they needed to borrow forks and glasses)?

If this is the first time you suspect they've hung out in your home and they were otherwise respectful I'd be more likely to talk to her and let her know it made you uncomfortable to find them there when you got home. Her reaction would determine where it went from there. However, if they rummaged through your movies, had to be asked to leave and left their forks in the sink for you to wash I'd think they were WAY too comfortable in my home, this had been going on for some time and was unlikely to stop, and I'd do as someone else suggested - change the locks and hire a new pet sitter.

ettiquit

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
If it wasn't for the dvd, I'd think that maybe they had gone out to grab some food and remembered that they needed to take your dog out and just decided to eat there and keep the dog company.

Was it your dvd or theirs?

And yes, weird.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
If you expressed concern or regret because the dog would be alone and lonely for a long time I could see hanging out.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
That is a bit strange, only beacuse the arrangement is only to let the dog out to do his/her business.  Had you also asked them to play with the dog, or keep it company, then no, but I'd be a bit annoyed to come home to that!

I used to pet sit for neighbors in HS, and some would specifially ask me to stay and play with them, watch tv, etc. so the pet wasn't lonely.  Others, it was just come in, feed them, etc. and nothing more. 

MummySweet

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:27:32 AM »
Personally, I don't think I would be bothered by my pet sitter eating in my house, or watching one of my DVDs.  But, inviting another person into my home to do those things would be crossing the line in a big, big way.     She gave someone access to your living space and possessions without your knowledge or consent.   

If you decide to continue the pet sitting arrangement, you need to outline very firm guidelines with this person.  She doesn't seem to recognize appropriate boundaries.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
I think thats really weird.

I would wonder if they have ever made themselves that comfortable in the past.

Me too. I'd be very uncomfortable thinking she'd brought another person into my home in the past without clearing it with me. As a frequent housesitter, I never invited people over without prior consent. Her setting up house at your place was not cool.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

HermioneGranger

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
I think it depends on your relationship otherwise with your neighbor.  We've had a friend petsit in the past, and left him a case of beer, money for pizza, and permission to hang out and watch tv.  Then again, this was a friend and not a neighbor, so our comfort level with him doing so was clearly very high.  I would have been angry that they didn't leave when you got home, with profuse apologies for overstepping their boundaries.  One question - have you noticed if anything has gone missing around your house?  If you haven't looked, I highly suggest doing so, and calling the police if necessary. 

Girlie

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
I would be so weirded out in your situation, OP.

Honestly, I would change my locks and find a new petsitter. Inviting someone in to eat and watch a movie while you're gone for just one evening does cross a certain boundary, IMO.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
I wonder if she is under the impression that when you come over you spend time hanging out and keeping her dog company?

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
if mbbored had been on vacation, i could sort of see the neighbor hanging out watching a dvd with the dog a few evenings so the dog would have company above and beyond the ear scratchies given before and after the walks. 

this is plain weird because:
1.  this happened when mbbored was only getting in late from work,
2.  neighbor brought in a friend AND they ordered dinner (wonder if the delivery was to neighbor's house or mmbored's?)
3.  they expected to stay and watch the end of the movie.

all-around strange.  make new pet-sitting arrangements and change the locks.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
For me getting in late for work still means the dog has been alone for several hours.  For a cat, bird, etc - not usually a problem.  most in my family or owned by my friends that would lead to a lonely dog that wanted attention and company.

As far as dinner, maybe they picked it up on their way? 

still in va

• used to be gjcva1
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
For me getting in late for work still means the dog has been alone for several hours.  For a cat, bird, etc - not usually a problem.  most in my family or owned by my friends that would lead to a lonely dog that wanted attention and company.

As far as dinner, maybe they picked it up on their way?

but the dog wasn't going to be alone that much longer than a usual work day, hence the need to let the dog out. 

and it's still weird that they thought it was okay to expect to stay and watch the rest of the dvd when mbbored arrived home.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
This is weird.  I don't even do this at my mother's house when I or my brother go in to feed the cat.  OP, I think you should have a calm, but firm, talk with your neighbor.

"Neighbor, I appreciate all the help you've given me in taking care of my dog, but I'm a bit confused as to why you and boyfriend stayed so long when I asked you to let dog out on (insert date).  It made me a bit uncomfortable.  In the future, please don't do this without asking."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »
very very weird. it would make me extremely uncomfortable. and i would not appreciate the fact that she brought in a nother person into my house.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools